• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:
6 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

On the Batman #1, it is interesting that married pages get Qualified labels.  I can't help but consider that a PLOD in Qualified clothing.  The definition of restoration keeps getting narrowed.

In full agreement with you here as I personally considered anything that is married from another book onto your copy to be a Restored book.  (thumbsu

+1

3 hours ago, SkyJuice said:
On 8/18/2019 at 2:32 AM, SkyJuice said:

Batman #2 CGC 4.5  This is bidder's delight!

+1

1901509520_Batman2CGC45.thumb.jpg.52bb2419e6728ffc2f8e37d3149ec448.jpg

This hammered for $6100. Will the winner please stand up?

Well, from the expressions on their faces, dare I say that it's really much more to both Batman and Robin's little afternoon delight.  :gossip:

And why stand up at all when Robin's already assumed his usual dominated position for Batman in jubilant anticipation of what's to come.  :blush:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from the expressions on their faces, dare I say that it's really much more to both Batman and Robin's little afternoon delight.  :gossip:

And why stand up at all when Robin's already assumed his usual dominated position for Batman in jubilant anticipation of what's to come.  :blush:  lol

Oh that's bad. Robin in doggy position. lol

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh that's bad. Robin in doggy position. lol

Like I said the other day when I saw this cover...........I wondered how the editors ever let this one slipped by them?  :whatthe:  lol

No wonder why they needed the Comics Code as Wertham must have had a field day when it came to this particular cover here.  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Like I said the other day when I saw this cover...........I wondered how the editors ever let this one slipped by them?  :whatthe:  lol

It was more innocent back then. Kids use to push each other in the schoolyard that way. 

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It was more innocent back then. Kids use to push each other in the schoolyard that way. 

Well, that's definitely what they would want you to believe back in the sweet and innocent days of wine and roses.  :preach:

Then explain what was really going through Charles Moulton's mind when he created Wonder Woman:

Bella Heathcote in Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)

:devil:  :blush:

On 8/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, MrBedrock said:

I used to own this book. I sold it through Heritage in 2005 as part of my divorce settlement. I originally got it in trade in 1989 from a dealer from Colorado named Dennis Grimm. A super nice guy. I traded a really minty fresh Silver Surfer 1 for it. A very even trade then. It would still be close today, depending on whether the Surfer graded 9.6 or higher.

I remember Dennis - great guy and very friendly.  Didn't he purchase the original Aurora pedigree collection?  I haven't seem him in years - do you know if he is still involved with comics?

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's definitely what they would want you to believe back in the sweet and innocent days of wine and roses.  :preach:

Then explain what was really going through Charles Moulton's mind when he created Wonder Woman:

Bella Heathcote in Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)

:devil:  :blush:

Well everything has subtext. Mouton was a psychologist and a perv. He was working on some heavy id when he created WW.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/27/2019 at 8:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Now, now, this too shall pass and reality will rear its ugly head once again:

RAD5D93820151223_23446.jpg

After all, have you ever considered the possibilty that the bidder really meant to put in $740.00 but simply ended up putting the decimal point in the wrong spot, and now here we are at $74,000 with one more day to go for this never before seen book?  doh!  lol

The consignor had set reserve at 70K a few days ago.

Well, it appears that the consignor definitely made the right and astute move here by putting in a high reserve price on the book.  (thumbsu

Any idea where the bidding was at prior to CL having to come in and placing the bid just one increment below the reserve price of $70K with one day left in the auction?  Makes me kind of wonder if the book ever would have gotten up there on its own without that little push from CL to push it up close to the reserve amount near the end of the auction?  hm

3 minutes ago, szav said:
19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it appears that the consignor definitely made the right and astute move here by putting in a high reserve price on the book.  (thumbsu

Any idea where the bidding was at prior to CL having to come in and placing the bid just one increment below the reserve price of $70K with one day left in the auction?  Makes me kind of wonder if the book ever would have gotten up there on its own without that little push from CL to push it up close to the reserve amount near the end of the auction?  hm

It was at 25k.  I thought for sure it wouldn’t sell after that reserve at nearly 3 times the current bid kicked in.  Shows what I know.

Well, if it was at only $25K, I highly doubt it would have reached such astronomical heights as $85K since I don't think 2 bidders would have putten in atomic bomb style bids on their own without a big nudge from the consignor.  hm

Definitely one of the few times that a high reserve price actually worked out so perfectly.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, szav said:

It was at 25k.  I thought for sure it wouldn’t sell after that reserve at nearly 3 times the current bid kicked in.  Shows what I know.

It was listed on the Exchange for a while, prior to going to auction, and iirc it had received a high bid of 70K or thereabouts.

14 hours ago, szav said:
14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

It was listed on the Exchange for a while, prior to going to auction, and iirc it had received a high bid of 70K or thereabouts.

Hadn’t seen that but if I had, I’d have thought it was a shill bid.

Guess it probably was not, and it was a good, and easy to make, decision setting that reserve.

Well, that's definitely a smart tactic on the part of the consignor to take before placing your book up for auction.   hm  (thumbsu

Place an absolutely ridiculous high sale price on the book and see how ridiculously high the offers will go and then use that high water mark to set as your reserve price in the auction, hoping that the high bidder will see it in the auction.  :headbang:

Of course, if Josh is doing his job and providing customer service both ways as he should be, he should really then be alerting the high bidder that the book is now available at auction for much lower than the consignor's original "asking" price.  :devil:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Any bets that the consignor of the Startling 49 is now thinking he probably should have followed the safer strategy like the consignor of the TOD 10 by putting in a reserve price on his book.  doh!

Somehow, I think with CL coming in and forcing the bid up to one increment below the whatever the reserve would have been, the Startling 49 could possibly have sold for a whole ton more money in the end.  Sometimes, you just need that little bit of a push to get you over the hump.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, szav said:

Could also have nothing to do with it being on CL... pq was cr/ow and there are high grade copies galore for startling 49.  

Wasn’t there a Nedor file copy/warehouse find?  Sure looks like it from the census.

That was my take also 

16 hours ago, szav said:

Could also have nothing to do with it being on CL... pq was cr/ow and there are high grade copies galore for startling 49.  

Wasn’t there a Nedor file copy/warehouse find?  Sure looks like it from the census.

Do people care about the C/OW designation as much with GA?  I usually don't.  Especially with how absurdly inconsistent CGC is with PQ designation.  My last submission had a book bump from C/OW to OW/W.  Apparently 15+ years inside the case lightened the pages considerably.

51 minutes ago, szav said:

My guess would be generally no, unless you're talking about a book that has 8 certified copies 9.4 and higher (CPRs not withstanding) and you can be a bit pickier about which copy you want to pay 50k+ for.  

I just think there's a better explanation for the "low" result than it was the consignors choice of venue. 

I mean really...do we think at this point people who spend this kind of money on comics have heard of CC and HA but somehow not CLink, as if all 3 don't take 50 pages each in the OPG...

I also don't put much stock into price differences being due to the different auction formats the 3 have.  For 3 sites HA, CL, CC you eventually put in whatever the max price you're willing to pay for any particular item is.

+1

the "wow" and "must have" factor diminishes with each additional copy graded at 9.6

Startling 49 has such a classic cover, but seems common in high grade.  This copy was also much darker than previous high grade copies.  Any ideas why the right lower part of the cover on the CL 9.6 copy looks different from most other Startling 49's with spots on the leaves? 

6F524C09-73F9-4FB4-9060-BF0CAA3253CE.jpeg

24D46B85-1EFE-4804-9DA9-B21332ECDF06.jpeg

Edited by Ltpink2002

Yep, big difference in the color of the HA 9.6 and Clink 9.6 copies, and generally a fairly available book in HG (relative to some of the other GA classic covers anyway).

The HA archives show 2 9.6 sales and 3 9.4's. I see the same 9.4 copy that sold in 2005 for $16K selling for a big loss a year later (<$10K). :whatthe:

9 hours ago, Ltpink2002 said:

Any ideas why the right lower part of the cover on the CL 9.6 copy looks different from most other Startling 49's with spots on the leaves

That is a minor printing defect due to some foreign artifacts or other small issue with the press.

Edited by adamstrange

Did you guys get this email? Who here knows Sean?

Sean Goodrich GoFundMe Campaign

CLICK HERE TO HELP

We are saddened to report that our old friend and colleague, Sean Goodrich, was seriously injured Sunday and now can use our help.  As posted on GoFundMe:

"September 8th, 2019 Sean fell while climbing in New Hampshire. He sustained multiple bone breaks and fractures in his back, pelvis, neck, ribs, arm, and he also tore his aorta. He has a concussion as well. The medical bills will be staggering, and Sean and Tami have a very large deductible (they are both self-employed, and their insurance is basically catastrophic) They are going to need upwards of $30,000 to start with the initial costs of emergency care, Life Flight to Maine Med, and the multiple surgeries Sean has already had, and will need.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1) Please keep Sean, Tami and Morgan in your prayers

2) Please donate as much as you can financially to help them cover these medical bills"

Please consider a generous donation.

Sincerely,

Josh Nathanson