• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

I'm sure CGC Church books would sell fine with lousy scanned images. Specific exceptions are not the point. Pedigree books would generally be an exception. Anyone who purchases non-pedigree books based solely on the label will find themselves regretting it eventually.

My comment was instigated by a very generic, naive (with no disrespect intended) statement that the label controls all, and that CGC - the way I interpreted the intent of the post - can do no wrong. If I was wrong, I will be happy to stand corrected.

Well then Mark, maybe you should create a new thread, because the subject of discussion in this thread is the poor picture quality of the Don Rosa auctions and how the label sells the books and not the scans.

Perhaps as a litigator you read too much into a post. gossip.gif

I bet the books would sell just that much better with nice, large, clear scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How much better could they sell??? Some of the books are selling for twice what the same non-pedigree sells for in the same grade.

"doing just fine" is great for a hospital patient. "maximise revenue" is what i am looking for here.

actually i just want to see the *#Y# books clearly. too much to ask? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with you the scans should be better. Yet, it seems juvenile to say that he could do better by having clearer, bigger scans. That just isn't a realistic view of how well his auctions are doing.

I'm sure CGC Church books would sell fine with lousy scanned images. Specific exceptions are not the point. Pedigree books would generally be an exception. Anyone who purchases non-pedigree books based solely on the label will find themselves regretting it eventually.

My comment was instigated by a very generic, naive (with no disrespect intended) statement that the label controls all, and that CGC - the way I interpreted the intent of the post - can do no wrong. If I was wrong, I will be happy to stand corrected.

Well then Mark, maybe you should create a new thread, because the subject of discussion in this thread is the poor picture quality of the Don Rosa auctions and how the label sells the books and not the scans.

I bet the books would sell just that much better with nice, large, clear scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How much better could they sell??? Some of the books are selling for twice what the same non-pedigree sells for in the same grade.

is two times the limit?

we have no idea how much books from this NEW CGC-BLESSED PEDIGREE would sell for with giant, clear scans. six times as much as non-peds? eight?

is two times the limit?

we have no idea how much books from this NEW CGC-BLESSED PEDIGREE would sell for with giant, clear scans. six times as much as non-peds? eight?

They might have sold for more. I just know that some of the books I have tracked, they were sold at double normal price in grade.

Regardless if he had clear scans, some people would still complain that he didn't annouce the books, and therefore lost money. Or that he should have sold one title at a time, and therefore lost money.

My point being, his auctions are doing just fine. Steve is happy with them. Don is happy with them. So why are people complaining so much them?

is two times the limit?

They might have sold for more. I just know that some of the books I have tracked, they were sold at double normal price in grade.

Regardless if he had clear scans, some people would still complain that he didn't annouce the books, and therefore lost money. Or that he should have sold one title at a time, and therefore lost money.

My point being, his auctions are doing just fine. Steve is happy with them. Don is happy with them. So why are people complaining so much them?

because they can't see the &^*#$ing books in the slab? because this is a highly visible collection? because a scanner costs about $80, and there are free hosting sites for images? because the books deserve better?

i'm just trying to come up with a $$$ reason for Steve to say "hey, yeah...maybe i should get up off my arsch and start scanning these amazing BRAND NEW CGC-BLESSED PEDIGREE books!"

and you're not helping! frustrated.gif

hi.gif

because they can't see the &^*#$ing books in the slab? because this is a highly visible collection? because a scanner costs about $80, and there are free hosting sites for images? because the books deserve better?

i'm just trying to come up with a $$$ reason for Steve to say "hey, yeah...maybe i should get up off my arsch and start scanning these amazing BRAND NEW CGC-BLESSED PEDIGREE books!"

and you're not helping! frustrated.gif

hi.gif

btw, I talked to Steve today on the phone and he says the current auctions that are up are the last for a some time, because he is getting ready for con season. So he won't be selling on Ebay for some time.

So everyone who wishes for better scans are SOOL.

hi.gif

If and when the pre 1970 books go up for sale hopefully he will have a new scanner by then. Right now I'm looking forward to the lots in the upcoming weeks. I wonder how this is going to be done. Whole runs or a group of issues. Very interesting.

If and when the pre 1970 books go up for sale hopefully he will have a new scanner by then. Right now I'm looking forward to the lots in the upcoming weeks. I wonder how this is going to be done. Whole runs or a group of issues. Very interesting.

I guess you missed my post.

btw, I talked to Steve today on the phone and he says the current auctions that are up are the last for a some time, because he is getting ready for con season. So he won't be selling on Ebay for some time.

So everyone who wishes for better scans are SOOL.

My understanding on Pedigrees is that there must be a large depth of collection, consistant high quality, large breadth of collection and must have been an original owner.

Depth--Basically # of books.

Breadth--Number of consecutive copies collected and number of titles collected.

Quality--Condition of the books.

Original owner--- Majority of books collected by the owner as the books were printed. Some second hand is possible but not a characteristic of the pedigree.

These seem to be the only characteristics of a pedigree that I have heard about. So Don's would apply, would they not? Anyone, have any other info on what determines a "Pedigree"

If those were the only criteria, then there would be one zillion Copper & Modern pedigrees. I think most pedigree purists would say that a pedigree has to have been compiled during a time when it would have been extremely unusual for someone to purchase a huge amount of comics AND maintain them in great condition. These people would say that any "true" pedigree must contain a significant number of books from before 1965 (actually, some of the more extreme members of this group (cough! pedigreeman! cough!) say that only GA pedigrees can be true pedigrees).

I think it's rather pointless to try to come up with a definition. Everyone's going to have a different list of criteria. Even if you get some sort of consensus on the criteria you still can't get everyone to agree when it should be applied without exceptions getting carved out.

IMHO all that it takes to make or break a pedigree is the answer to one simple question -- is it worth knowing and keeping track of the "origin" of a comic as it finds its way from collector to collector. If the answer is yes cloud9.gif -- call it a pedigree. If the answer is 893censored-thumb.gif "who cares?" then it's not.

Simple end to the debate I think! thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I think Timulty's criteria, plus the age factor that I referenced, will govern what gets identified as a pedigree by CGC going forward. But it's a flexible standard that doesn't necessarily weigh all the different factors equally. Thus, a relatively small collection like the Vancouver collection can (and should) get pedigree status even though it contained a relatively small number of books, because the condition was phenomenal and the books are from a period where high grade copies are impossible to find.

I think people need to understand that CGC's hands were somewhat tied with respect to existing pedigrees, hence the inconsistencies identified by Deathlok. I think they felt compelled to recognize a lot of pedigrees that already had market acceptance, many of which were identified by the founding dealers purely for marketing purposes, even if such collections might not meet the current tighter standards as to what constitutes a pedigree.

Oh, Rick. Stop being argumentative! 893naughty-thumb.gif Be nice to the people!

Mother Red

You better not outbid me. Stay away from it. You hear me!!

What's it worth to you....? I just got a new credit card with a HUGE credit limit today. devil.gif

You're one to tell me not to change the topic of a thread??? Ya gotta be kidding me. screwy.gif At least I was still addressing a substantive issue rather than bring the discussion down to the level of kindergarten with some smiley face. hi.gifpoke2.gif

In any event, it wasn't like I just came out of nowhere and offered the comment. I was specifically commenting upon a post. But, sure, I could have read too much into it. gossip.gif

Oh, Rick. Stop being argumentative! 893naughty-thumb.gif Be nice to the people!

Mother Red

You better not outbid me. Stay away from it. You hear me!!

What's it worth to you....? I just got a new credit card with a HUGE credit limit today. devil.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

You're one to tell me not to change the topic of a thread??? Ya gotta be kidding me. screwy.gif At least I was still addressing a substantive issue rather than bring the discussion down to the level of kindergarten with some smiley face. hi.gifpoke2.gif

In any event, it wasn't like I just came out of nowhere and offered the comment. I was specifically commenting upon a post. But, sure, I could have read too much into it. gossip.gif

hi.gif