• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

>>>>I'd be interested to see the space your collection occupied before it was sold off.

Sold off? I only sold the new stuff that I didn't care for (with a very few exceptions, and I'm buying up trade-paperback reprint collections of that stuff). I knew I couldn't try to pick and choose what I'd keep, or else I'd go nuts. I just said "everything 1970 and newer, TAKE IT AWAY". But I did try to cut off runs at even numbers, at a #50 or #125, like that. So my now-incomplete sets I still have end at different months in 1970. And they are still in the "vault".

>>>>I believe I read somewhere that you didn't bag or board the books...?

Not that new stuff. No reason to. The only reason to bag/board comics is if they get handled constantly, otherwise it's less than pointless. Does them more harm than good, they tell me. But I do put my older stuff in Mylites (no boards, no need) just so that when I flip through them to add a missing issue they don't suffer from the handling. And everything was/is in archival flip-top boxes. But once those new comics (1970-on) went into the boxes, they were never touched or looked at again until Steve took them. Most never even opened/read in the first place.

>>>>please, please, please tell Steve to buy a scanner! PLEASE

I suggested that after the FIRST comic he put on eBay 6 months ago. But then, when selling CGC slabbed funnybooks, why is a superclear pic needed?

foreheadslap.gif

With all due respect, perhaps someone should update him on the facts of life since CGC opened its doors.

Buy the book (and Rosa's books appear well worth it), not the label. frustrated.gif

P.S. Yes, still in FL waiting for the ship to leave on Sun.

I suggested that after the FIRST comic he put on eBay 6 months ago. But then, when selling CGC slabbed funnybooks, why is a superclear pic needed?

foreheadslap.gif

With all due respect, perhaps someone should update him on the facts of life since CGC opened its doors.

Buy the book (and Rosa's books appear well worth it), not the label. frustrated.gif

Perhaps you should check GPA more often, as there appear to be more people who will buy the label not the book.

I don't think that is a point of contention. In reality you should buy the book. Case in point, I recently purchased a Swamp Thing #3 CGC 9.4. Now, it looked good per label with one exception, that being the one part of the label I ignored. PQ. So, I buy and find out after I won, it was Cream to off-white. I should have paid more attention to the book. So, there you go. If you don't buy the book, you get bit in the 893censored-thumb.gif!

foreheadslap.gif

Perhaps you should check GPA more often, as there appear to be more people who will buy the label not the book.

Ah yes, the lemmings once again.

Its called education my friend. Education. It's lacking. But not for long. Word is spreading.

I don't think that is a point of contention. In reality you should buy the book. Case in point, I recently purchased a Swamp Thing #3 CGC 9.4. Now, it looked good per label with one exception, that being the one part of the label I ignored. PQ. So, I buy and find out after I won, it was Cream to off-white. I should have paid more attention to the book. So, there you go. If you don't buy the book, you get bit in the 893censored-thumb.gif!

It is a point of contention, when you see C-OW books sell for more than books with W pages. Or when you see books with miswraps selling for more than perfect QP books. It happens all the time on Ebay, Heritage, Comiclink, etc.

As a seller, there aren't any worries that the label will sell the book. Steve and Don are doing just fine with the cr@ppy scans they use for Ebay. In fact, many of his books are selling for top census, which refutes your point.

If you don't believe me just take a look at sterling's books, who only cares about HG labels, not the books.

foreheadslap.gif

Ah yes, the lemmings once again.

Its called education my friend. Education. It's lacking. But not for long. Word is spreading.

yeahok.gif The money talks.

It is a point of contention, when you see C-OW books sell for more than books with W pages. Or when you see books with miswraps selling for more than perfect QP books. It happens all the time on Ebay, Heritage, Comiclink, etc.

As a seller, there aren't any worries that the label will sell the book. Steve and Don are doing just fine with the cr@ppy scans they use for Ebay. In fact, many of his books are selling for top census, which refutes your point.

If you don't believe me just take a look at sterling's books, who only cares about HG labels, not the books.

I'm sure CGC Church books would sell fine with lousy scanned images. Specific exceptions are not the point. Pedigree books would generally be an exception. Anyone who purchases non-pedigree books based solely on the label will find themselves regretting it eventually.

My comment was instigated by a very generic, naive (with no disrespect intended) statement that the label controls all, and that CGC - the way I interpreted the intent of the post - can do no wrong. If I was wrong, I will be happy to stand corrected.

I wouldn't buy a CGC book, or any book, sight unseen. screwy.gif

gossip.gif ...that includes small or blurry scans.

I want to feel confident that the book is graded correctly before I purchase it.

Hey I understand some people's reservations about buying a book with unclear scans, but the fact is Steve Wyatt, who is the subject of discussion, is doing just fine with his camera.

koniomega1.jpg

I'm sure CGC Church books would sell fine with lousy scanned images. Specific exceptions are not the point. Pedigree books would generally be an exception. Anyone who purchases non-pedigree books based solely on the label will find themselves regretting it eventually.

My comment was instigated by a very generic, naive (with no disrespect intended) statement that the label controls all, and that CGC - the way I interpreted the intent of the post - can do no wrong. If I was wrong, I will be happy to stand corrected.

Well then Mark, maybe you should create a new thread, because the subject of discussion in this thread is the poor picture quality of the Don Rosa auctions and how the label sells the books and not the scans.

Perhaps as a litigator you read too much into a post. gossip.gif

I want to feel confident that the book is graded correctly before I purchase it.

Hey I understand some people's reservations about buying a book with unclear scans, but the fact is Steve Wyatt, who is the subject of discussion, is doing just fine with his camera.

again, the weighty beast named Opportunity Cost rears its ugly head.

who is to say that Mr. Wyatt might not do much better with clear scans larger than an envelope?

who is to say that Mr. Wyatt might not do much better with clear scans larger than an envelope?

Uh..that fact that many of his books are GPA sales records indicates that he is doing just fine.

I thought the discussion was about whether Don's books are a Pedigree or a Collection.
It started out that way, but quickly moved to chastising (sic) Steve for not using better scans. Try to keep up with the thread.

Well then Mark, maybe you should create a new thread, because the subject of discussion in this thread is the poor picture quality of the Don Rosa auctions and how the label sells the books and not the scans.

Perhaps as a litigator you read too much into a post. gossip.gif

I bet the books would sell just that much better with nice, large, clear scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Uh..that fact that many of his books are GPA sales records indicates that he is doing just fine.

"doing just fine" is great for a hospital patient. "maximise revenue" is what i am looking for here.

actually i just want to see the *#Y# books clearly. too much to ask? confused-smiley-013.gif