• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 2:36 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm a little worried to be honest. I am not sure how well this will translate on screen. I look at the production and think it's a bit off. Maybe my expectations are too high, I just sometimes worry that Netflix has a high quality CW vibe to it to their shows. Because it's so "magical" I'm not sure how that translates on screen, whereas paper, imagination bridged that gap from words/paper to how I visualized it.

I hope that made sense

I respect the concerns as a fan.

We'll know very soon. August 5th is next Friday. Amazing we are that deep into 2022 now.

:ohnoez:

On 7/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I respect the concerns as a fan.

We'll know very soon. August 5th is next Friday. Amazing we are that deep into 2022 now.

:ohnoez:

here's an example, Stranger Things looks great, Locke/Key not so much

On 7/27/2022 at 4:36 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm a little worried to be honest. I am not sure how well this will translate on screen. I look at the production and think it's a bit off. Maybe my expectations are too high, I just sometimes worry that Netflix has a high quality CW vibe to it to their shows. Because it's so "magical" I'm not sure how that translates on screen, whereas paper, imagination bridged that gap from words/paper to how I visualized it.

I hope that made sense

For us as fan's of the books, it's all about tone.    The tone has always been melancholy, depressed, austere, the 7 were never portrayed as "gods", or "immortals", they carried burdens.   I'm wondering if any studio would embrace that these days.   This hyper allegiance to good vs bad view of the world, kinda destroy's any good story telling. 

On 7/31/2022 at 9:04 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Can I get the "elevator speech" on this? i.e. is the casting good and does it sound like it will be accurate to the comics? I have not read them...

Gaiman is endorsing everything and is producer and apparently involved. the casting follows the spirit of the book although not the literal look in some cases so of course that can get some people in a tizzy. I like it and am very excited about it, it looks well done.

In the comics Dream is one of 7 siblings but only 4 are in this series I think. At least this season.

On 8/1/2022 at 11:41 AM, Bird said:

Gaiman is endorsing everything and is producer and apparently involved. the casting follows the spirit of the book although not the literal look in some cases so of course that can get some people in a tizzy. I like it and am very excited about it, it looks well done.

In the comics Dream is one of 7 siblings but only 4 are in this series I think. At least this season.

And they can easily swap out actors for subsequent series, if required.

I might be guilty of having to strong idea of what the show should convey, but the proof of the current casting will be seen soon enough.  The two big characters that have to work, and Dream, and Death.   Dream does look good, albeit a bit too good looking for my liking, but his acting abilities will be 90% of the game.

Edited by Microchip

On 8/1/2022 at 7:34 AM, Bird said:

spoilers!

stripes-francis-francis.gif.7528610803d1176e670e11f244ea517d.gif

People have been proclaiming in this thread how they are concerned if this will honor the source material. Indicators from Neil Gaiman with little reveals so far is it will.

On 8/1/2022 at 7:45 AM, Bird said:

got it, too hard to type something like

here are Nada and Dream for those who want to see and then spoiler

Please avoid the drama like when you blocked me for being crazy. We're here to enjoy the content, and not to flame up heated debates for whatever your agenda may be.

:cheers:

On 8/1/2022 at 3:07 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Is that really a spoiler? 

I was surprised! I shouldn't have been, but I was.

Maybe it was just early in the morning. (shrug) But not hard to hide with a tag and I myself would rather see everything on the screen and not here in a thread.

Edited by Bird