• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

While we are still waiting for season 1 to drop on Friday, has there been anything verified about a 2nd season and beyond?  I recall an article back last year (or maybe even 2020) while season 1 was in production where Gaiman said they were working on the screenplays for season 2.  I feel it is just a matter of when and not if they will announce more seasons.  It's hard for me to pick favorite story arcs, but Season of Mists would be near the top for me which would surely be season 2 material.  Given 16-20 issues represented in a season, they could be on pace for a solid 5 season run just covering the original series.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, Bird said:

I was surprised! I shouldn't have been, but I was.

Maybe it was just early in the morning. (shrug) But not hard to hide with a tag and I myself would rather see everything on the screen and not here in a thread.

The picture came from Neil Gaiman. Publicly. Including making it into news outlets.

Relax, and enjoy the Sandman ride ahead!

On 8/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, mcduckz said:

While we are still waiting for season 1 to drop on Friday, has there been anything verified about a 2nd season and beyond?  I recall an article back last year (or maybe even 2020) while season 1 was in production where Gaiman said they were working on the screenplays for season 2.  I feel it is just a matter of when and not if they will announce more seasons.  It's hard for me to pick favorite story arcs, but Season of Mists would be near the top for me which would surely be season 2 material.  Given 16-20 issues represented in a season, they could be on pace for a solid 5 season run just covering the original series.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, mcduckz said:

I haven't been impressed with gaiman adaptations so far, so they could conceivably screw the pooch. American Gods was must watch for wifey and myself and then, not so much and then meh. Good Omens meandered into blah as well.  The comic was interesting in that you didn't know the overarching story for quite some time and didn't really know the antagonist until the end. So how they handle those concepts early on will be interesting. Readers of the comic will not decide if there is a season two, it will be the n00bs and whether or not they are hooked.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:14 AM, Bird said:

ugh, just read a scathing review.

I will be waiting until tomorrow to watch, busy tonight.

There is always going to be those that talk down comic book productions, deservedly or not. Meanwhile...

Sandman_Guardian.thumb.jpg.d634ee9b3a69d3e4765e493abd0babc0.jpg

The Sandman review – Neil Gaiman has created 2022’s single greatest hour of TV drama

It has taken 30 years for an adaptation of The Sandman (Netflix), Neil Gaiman’s celebrated comic-book series, to make it to the screen, and little wonder. It is a big, bold story of gods and demons, so deep and rich that the idea of cramming its wonders into 10 episodes seems borderline ludicrous. Yet this is the era of megabudget fantasy television, with the imminent arrival of a small-screen Lord of the Rings and the return of the Game of Thrones universe in House of the Dragon. With its debut season, The Sandman can stand proudly among them, albeit as their moody goth older brother.

The first couple of episodes exist firmly in the realm of fantasy. The notes I took when watching include “Patton Oswalt is crow?”. It’s that kind of show, and it immerses you in its world immediately, setting the Sandman off on his journey of discovery. It begins in 1916, when Lord Morpheus, or Dream, or the Sandman, or Lord Morpheus, Dream of the Endless, to give him his pedigree name (a sinewy Robert Smith type, played with breathy sulkiness by Tom Sturridge), is mistakenly captured by Charles Dance’s sinister – and Dance is very good at sinister – magus.

Looking forward to rolling this and "Prey" tonight! Fun Friday! The wife isn't familiar with Sandman at all, so I'll be curious to see what she thinks about it, compared to me, a diehard fan since high school. Hopefully we both dig it!

On 8/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, F For Fake said:

Looking forward to rolling this and "Prey" tonight! Fun Friday! The wife isn't familiar with Sandman at all, so I'll be curious to see what she thinks about it, compared to me, a diehard fan since high school. Hopefully we both dig it!

Don't know if you're following the Prey thread in the movies forum, though the main bad guy that's not the Predator is my cousin!  We were at a theatrical premiere last night and it was REALLY good!

On 8/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, davidpg said:

Don't know if you're following the Prey thread in the movies forum, though the main bad guy that's not the Predator is my cousin!  We were at a theatrical premiere last night and it was REALLY good!

Very cool! I'll check it out!