• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst superhero movie of the current era?
1 1

147 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

My god -- I'd forgotten about Man-Thing.

That Marvel Comics banner in the trailer is an insult.

Easy movie to forget about...Thankfully 😆

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Always had a crush on Rachel Taylor.  So, Man Thing gets a pass. 

Nope, in fact she loses points also for accepting this role! :facepalm:😆

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Thank you.

I still swear by Shane Black as a writer, despite Predators. (This is the man who also wrote Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Good Night, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Nice Guys.)

And I can't imagine comic fans genuinely rating Iron Man 3 as worse than Iron Man 2.

So it's got to be the Mandarin switch. 

Again, it was done first with the R'as Al Ghul switch in Batman Begins.

And, last I checked, there weren't that many Mandarin fans out there to begin with.

But from an overall plotting, pacing, and writing perspective it's *far* superior to Iron Man 2.

Yes - it's overall legacy in the MCU doesn't touch that of Iron Man 2 (which introduced both Black Widow and Don Cheadle Rhodey).

But Iron Man 3 isn't even in the same universe as the worst MCU films (like Thor 2 and Guardians 2 -- hell, even Thor and Incredible Hulk were worse).

Biggest flaw with Iron Man 3 was studio interference -- Black's ---script called for Maya to be the true Mandarin, but this was nixed because "female action figures don't sell" -- so we got Killian instead.

Since when is it one of the worst movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?!

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

5 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:

@nepatkm What do you think of Punisher: War Zone?

Like it, for what it is. 👍 outrageously unreal and violent! :popcorn:

Does not belong on this list!! :sumo:—I’m biased though. 😆 

Edited by nepatkm

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Thank you.

I still swear by Shane Black as a writer, despite Predators. (This is the man who also wrote Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Good Night, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Nice Guys.)

And I can't imagine comic fans genuinely rating Iron Man 3 as worse than Iron Man 2.

So it's got to be the Mandarin switch. 

Again, it was done first with the R'as Al Ghul switch in Batman Begins.

And, last I checked, there weren't that many Mandarin fans out there to begin with.

But from an overall plotting, pacing, and writing perspective it's *far* superior to Iron Man 2.

Yes - it's overall legacy in the MCU doesn't touch that of Iron Man 2 (which introduced both Black Widow and Don Cheadle Rhodey).

But Iron Man 3 isn't even in the same universe as the worst MCU films (like Thor 2 and Guardians 2 -- hell, even Thor and Incredible Hulk were worse).

Biggest flaw with Iron Man 3 was studio interference -- Black's --script called for Maya to be the true Mandarin, but this was nixed because "female action figures don't sell" -- so we got Killian instead.

UHHM

Maya was not going to be the 'true Mandarin'. She was going to be the character from the actual comic books. That Mandarin twist was horrible - and no way does that compare to Batman Begins.

But here's another surprise from that mess of a film. Emilia Clarke was cast in a role that then was eliminated because of good old Ike.

Iron Man 3 Writer Reveals Emilia Clarke Originally Appeared Before -script Changes

The writer behind Iron Man 3 reveals that Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke originally had a role in the film before the -script changed. Drew Pearce initially began working with Marvel Studios several years before writing the third Iron Man movie to try and make a Runaways movie possible. The project deteriorated - and now Hulu has a live-action series of their own - but Pearce was paired up with director Shane Black to figure out how to close out the Iron Man franchise.

Together, Pearce and Black developed a -script that would see Tony Stark stripped of his Iron Man suit and The Mandarin as the villain until the twist came that he's a fake. This backbone of the story, also loosely based on the Extremis comic run, is seen in the movie that hit theaters in 2013, but it also changed substantially. Iron Man 3 originally featured Maya Hansen as the secret main villain of the piece, but Ike Perlmutter had this changed out of concerns over toy sales of a female villain. Not only was Maya's role reduced drastically, but so too were the roles of many other female parts. And the Mother of Dragons was apparently going to have a role.

END UHHM

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

“Hey, Ringo, what’d you say about a beautiful speed boat?”

Iron Man 3 has some outstanding dialogue.

It also proved that Tony Stark is Iron Man. As he says, "the suits - they're - a part of me..."

So, while I've seen videos titled 'Why Doesn't Every Avenger Have an Iron Man Suit?', there are very few that can operate them and even fewer that can design/engineer a system like that (in fact, Stark is the only one that knew how to manufacturer the power source for these weapons).

Iron Man 3 is a great Iron Man story, while not a great overall movie.

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It also proved that Tony Stark is Iron Man. As he says, "the suits - they're - a part of me..."

So, while I've seen videos titled 'Why Doesn't Every Avenger Have an Iron Man Suit?', there are very few that can operate them and even fewer that can design/engineer a system like that (in fact, Stark is the only one that knew how to manufacturer the power source for these weapons).

Iron Man 3 is a great Iron Man story, while not a great overall movie.

hm

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Iron Man 3 is good-not-great. Think I gave it a B- after my Phase 2 re-watch in April.

Everyone has their likes that may differ from others. Nothing wrong with that.