• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst superhero movie of the current era?
1 1

147 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The fact that a "Celestial" can be 'put to sleep' by such a weak character says exactly all you need to know about the 'conflict' and lack of gravity to GotG Vol 2.

A half-Celestial who literally just discovers a modicum of his power is able to defeat a character who's been around for millennia. It's pathetic.

Ego didn't keep Mantis around for nothing. Her empath powers were strong enough to put his massive brain to sleep. She was powerful enough to almost knock out Thanos even.

Peter Quill doesn't defeat Ego alone. Rocket builds a bomb from Anulax batteries, an energy source powerful enough to power the Sovereign planet(and apparently powerful enough to destroy a planet), Groot attaches it to Ego's brain, as Mantis buys them the time they need to get it done. Yondu shows Quill that the heart is more powerful than the brain, which gives Quill the upper hand even though he's not as powerful as his father. 

Maximum team effort. That's why they're the Guardians of the frickin' Galaxy.

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ego didn't keep Mantis around for nothing. Her empath powers were strong enough to put his massive brain to sleep. She was powerful enough to almost knock out Thanos even.

Peter Quill doesn't defeat Ego alone. Rocket builds a bomb from Anulax batteries, an energy source powerful enough to power the Sovereign planet(and apparently powerful enough to destroy a planet), Groot attaches it to Ego's brain, as Mantis buys them the time they need to get it done. Yondu shows Quill that the heart is more powerful than the brain, which gives Quill the upper hand even though he's not as powerful as his father. 

Maximum team effort. That's why they're the Guardians of the frickin' Galaxy.

Which is 100% stupid.

Peter Quill basically entirely contains Ego - which is the only way any bomb (built by any character) worked. Which is also stupid.

The fact of the matter is there were 0 stakes, and a Genesis Celestial was defeated with so much ease neither Black Widow nor Hawkeye would've been in danger. Yondu didn't even die in battle! He died because of a lack of technology! lol

The movie is trash!

Since the movie 'Super' is about an everyday person transforming into a heroic role, does that count?

Not a horrible movie. But man, the dark ending in this one makes you want to stick the shotgun in your own mouth afterwards it is so depressing.

I have no love for Guardians 2.

Caught it at my local $2 theater and got up and left with about 25 minutes left -- one of only four movies I've walked out of in my life.

But I saw that Punisher War Zone was streaming via Hulu this morning. I watched the first half and my *god* is it bad.

1) Thomas Jane dodged a (.44 caliber) bullet on this one.

2) I refuse to believe this came out *after* Incredible Hulk and Iron Man.

Yikes.

Not as bad as Man-Thing, Jonah Hex or Spirits of Vengeance but War Zone is def. worse than Thor 2 and Guardians 2.

Yikes!

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wasn't a real fan of the Speed Racer movie, but than again I haven't watched it since 2008. Maybe it aged well?

Related image

Here's a movie I absolutely love. An awesome movie imo but there's so few that appreciate it. A weird one, I get it. The Wachowskis are weird. Maybe it helps to think of this movie as a 2 1/2 hour collection of 4 or 5 Speed Racer episodes, because that's kind of what it was.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I have no love for Guardians 2.

Caught it at my local $2 theater and got up and left with about 25 minutes left -- one of only four movies I've walked out of in my life.

Well, if you love Adam Warlock in any way shape or form like I do, then sorry you missed out on that epic post-credits scene. I gasped when I saw that slow push-in shot on the golden cocoon. I think that moment (along with some brilliant, in my opinion, scenes in GOTG2) got me hooked on the MCU, because I still wasn't completely sold even with the Russo Brothers movies, Iron Man, or even the first GOTG.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's a movie I absolutely love. An awesome movie imo but there's so few that appreciate it. A weird one, I get it. The Wachowskis are weird. Maybe it helps to think of this movie as a 2 1/2 collection of 4 or 5 Speed Racer episodes, because that's kind of what it was.

I will try it again over the summer. I think my disappointment was I compared it to the cartoon way too much which I loved when I was a kid watching old reruns.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, if you love Adam Warlock in any way shape or form like I do, then sorry you missed out on that epic post-credits scene. I gasped when I saw that slow push-in shot on the golden cocoon. I think that moment (along with some brilliant, in my opinion, scenes in GOTG2) got me hooked on the MCU, because I still wasn't completely sold even with the Russo Brothers movies, Iron Man, or even the first GOTG.

i caught that scene later online.

I do love Warlock. I was 14 the year Silver Surfer 50 & Infinity Gauntlet came out and went hog-wild on it over the next year and a half. So I've read the Strange Tales run and Warlock 1-15 -- and have met Starlin a few times in the years since and had him autograph a few.

Here's the thing.

Any enthusiasm that I had for him appearing in the films basically died the moment I discovered he was written out of Infinity War & Endgame. In the comic book storyline, Warlock and Silver Surfer were the most important superheroes. And in the films I feel like he Warlock was replaced by a combination of Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel and Iron Man.

With Thanos now out-of-the-picture, there's basically no point to Warlock. *Especially* if Disney's got the rights back to Silver Surfer, a frankly superior cosmic hero.

Personally -

ive yet to watch any of the Jessica Alba era Fantastic Four movies so I can’t comment on them , I think Green Lantern had potential but a blown -script ...The worst for me may be Justice League ... I could deal with Batman/ Superman’s bad plot because the film was at least visually appealing ... the CGI in JL looked like Doom 2 on my windows 95 platform 

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

i caught that scene later online.

I do love Warlock. I was 14 the year Silver Surfer 50 & Infinity Gauntlet came out and went hog-wild on it over the next year and a half. So I've read the Strange Tales run and Warlock 1-15 -- and have met Starlin a few times in the years since and had him autograph a few.

Here's the thing.

Any enthusiasm that I had for him appearing in the films basically died the moment I discovered he was written out of Infinity War & Endgame. In the comic book storyline, Warlock and Silver Surfer were the most important superheroes. And in the films I feel like he Warlock was replaced by a combination of Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel and Iron Man.

With Thanos now out-of-the-picture, there's basically no point to Warlock. *Especially* if Disney's got the rights back to Silver Surfer, a frankly superior cosmic hero.

Adam Warlock has had several major storylines that didn't require Thanos: his birth story and quest for purpose (in FF and Thor), the High Evolutionary and Counter-Earth, the Magus storyline, Annihilation Conquest, among them. Yes, Warlock is assisted by Thanos in the Magus saga, but if they adapt that story for the MCU, it will most likely take place in an alternate universe (since Magus and Warlock are the same beings) and could possibly be assisted by that universe's Thanos.

Either way, Adam Warlock certainly doesn't need the Purple One to be an interesting character.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

the CGI in JL looked like Doom 2 on my windows 95 platform 

lol

Not great, but not this bad...

Imp-Doom-video-game.jpg&f=1

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/12/2019 at 8:28 PM, mattn792 said:

S__t got real in here, never knew there was so much Guardians 2 acrimony out there.  

@TwoPiece I’m a bit surprised you bag on War Zone harder, you have seemingly endless vitriol for GoTG2.  If you’d only made it to the face punching in portion...

lol

I only saw the first 10 minutes of War Zone. I saw GotG Vol. 2 in theaters twice, and then a 3rd time during my Phase 3 marathon. So, I have a lot more to say about GotG Vol. 2, whereas War Zone is simple yet concise.

:bigsmile:

My list and reasons for those who care:

1. Spider-Man 3 (Tobey Maguire film)- took a decent start to a franchise and destroyed it with poor casting and a terrible plot

2. Both Amazing Spider-Man films. A cool Peter Parker who acted terribly and bland plots with no real direction and a mish mash of Spidey's history. Liked the casting for Gwen, hated everything else.

3. Iron Man 3. What was the point? Honestly, did it give us ANY connections to anything in the MCU?

4. All X-Men movies ever since the first one. Never was a huge X-Men fan to begin with, never liked the grey suits. Disliked the attempted pre-quels too. Time to start anew.

5. Thor The Dark World. Tried to be high fantasy and failed. Wish it would have succeeded because that is how Thor should be IMO

Edited by comicginger1789

As for DC, have not seen anything since Nolan's stuff. Reviews always seem to negative and I tried one DC film, Suicide Squad, and was thoroughly disappointed. What was that? I assumed other DC films were similar (and the reviews on many support that) so I have stayed away. I heard Wonder Woman was okay so maaaybeee I will watch it one day but as I am not a huge DC fan other than liking Batman, I doubt it.