• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

555 posts in this topic

re: Daniel Radcliffe as Wolverine.

I don't know why he keeps coming up in fan castings here and everywhere else. 

First, Daniel Radcliffe still looks like Harry Potter, just sometimes with a beard. Can't have Harry Potter running around as the toughest meanest gruffest super-hero of all time. 

Second, Radcliffe is British. No more British actors playing North American super-heroes. Try getting a Canadian to play Logan. I'm also all for somebody with Native American heritage, even a tiny bit of ancestry, playing the role. Thunderbird and Wolverine kind of played the same character in the early days of the new X-Men which is why they killed off John Proudstar.

Anyway, Feige and Co. will know better and not cast the little Wizard from the House of Gryffindor as the little Wolverine in the House of X.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, HighVoltage said:

I hear you.
I think with Wolverine - maybe when he's first intro'd into the MCU - he is PG/PG-13. And maybe he stays at that 'level' in the X-movies.
But you save the 'R' stuff for his solo movie, more like what Marvel did with the Claremont/Miller limited series back in the day.
Let him blood & guts tear people apart & curse & smoke in his solo movie(s).

Yeah but Xmen doesn't need to be PG13 either.

Let  the kids have the cartoons

On 9/28/2021 at 10:21 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

re: Daniel Radcliffe as Wolverine.

I don't know why he keeps coming up in fan castings here and everywhere else. 

First, Daniel Radcliffe still looks like Harry Potter, just sometimes with a beard. Can't have Harry Potter running around as the toughest meanest gruffest super-hero of all time. 

Second, Radcliffe is British. No more British actors playing North American super-heroes. Try getting a Canadian to play Logan. I'm also all for somebody with Native American heritage, even a tiny bit of ancestry, playing the role. Thunderbird and Wolverine kind of played the same character in the early days of the new X-Men which is why they killed off John Proudstar.

Anyway, Feige and Co. will know better and not cast the little Wizard from the House of Gryffindor as the little Wolverine in the House of X.

As I said re: Keaton... if Mr. Mom can be Batman? Harry Potter can be Wolverine.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but Radcliffe has a certain 'audience' already, and you *know* studios look at that stuff.

Look at Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. Another actor I wouldn't necessarily have thought to put in that role, but he did a fine job.

And come on - Tom Holland does a great job as Peter Parker. You're not hearing his British accent in the role.

I honestly don't care who ends up as Wolverine. Just as long as the writing is good and the actor does a good job.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, HighVoltage said:

Look at Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. Another actor I wouldn't necessarily have thought to put in that role, but he did a fine job.

And come on - Tom Holland does a great job as Peter Parker. You're not hearing his British accent in the role.

Jackie Earle Haley was actually quite suited for the role, even looked a little like the comics version, though I preferred Tim Blake Nelson as the de-facto Rorschach in HBO's Watchmen. 

I like Tom Holland as Peter Parker and am thankful for him in the role, but it does bug me sometimes that he's a Brit. Between him and Cumberbatch, I think that's enough Brits playing fan-favorite American super-heroes, even though Logan is a Canuck.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:28 AM, HighVoltage said:

Are you thinking there is going to be an 'R' rated X-Men movie?
Cuz that won't happen.

No

I just want one 

Too bad I'm not a child or a simpleton who likes to see the same thing over and over and needs to have a laugh during a moment because I'm emotionally stunted 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, HighVoltage said:

As I said re: Keaton... if Mr. Mom can be Batman? Harry Potter can be Wolverine.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but Radcliffe has a certain 'audience' already, and you *know* studios look at that stuff.

I honestly don't care who ends up as Wolverine. Just as long as the writing is good and the actor does a good job.

Am I the only one who thought Keaton was a lousy Batman / Bruce Wayne?

On 9/28/2021 at 12:28 PM, HighVoltage said:

Are you thinking there is going to be an 'R' rated X-Men movie?
Cuz that won't happen.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, Dr. Dank said:

No

I just want one 

There's kind of already been two R-rated X-Men movies. The Wolverine and Logan.

And if you count Deadpool, that's three.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, HighVoltage said:

If Michael Keaton can play Batman... and it came off well... Radcliffe can play Wolverine, honestly.
Throw him in a workout routine with trainers for a bit & get his costume right & it would be just fine.
Just give us someone who can act & loves the role. And who wouldn't love this role - what a fun character to play.

I actually can see that.  He has the range

On 9/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

In the above panel, "the first two" refers to Eternals and Deviants. The last experiment in which the subject is not mutated is what becomes regular human beings. This doesn't refer to the birth of X-mutants.

While I agree that the What If panel you're referring to--that are also linked below along with the full page that follows it--aren't entirely clear, I've repeatedly heard that Kirby did intend to imply that Oneg implanted the X-gene into homoerectus (had to edit this and make that term one word because the forum software kept erasing the first four letters lol).  Just going by what's on the pages below you could assume that Oneg is who guided homoerectus to become humanity as you suggest, or you could also assume that homoerectus was already destined to become humanity and what Oneg did to their DNA was to add latent potential for superpowers, i.e. what later authors called the X-gene.

Though every source I've ever seen says Oneg implanted the X-gene, I don't know if something later established that or if people are assuming it from these pages below.  (shrug)  If you've seen any further clarifying material please do share.

VTJVv3wXiwFUouDyOLns7ghHjEljY8AQEjxnjckGdv13wclY1j5ixtSBvRvRRnuCzZD_61qCIAbWvA=s1600wQbevGzrvab3v5iKvivU3IKGE1TIoJLdAMwF3Kao6hF7RWYUqXsMlq-IcIEiW5JT2GvYgh557Je_eA=s1600

Edited by fantastic_four

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, fantastic_four said:

While I agree that the What If panel you're referring to--that are also linked below along with the full page that follows it--aren't entirely clear, I've repeatedly heard that Kirby did intend to imply that Oneg implanted the X-gene into homoerectus (had to edit this and make that term one word because the forum software kept erasing the first four letters lol).  Just going by what's on the pages below you could assume that Oneg is who guided homoerectus to become humanity as you suggest, or you could also assume that homoerectus was already destined to become humanity and what Oneg did to their DNA was to add latent potential for superpowers, i.e. what later authors called the X-gene.

Though every source I've ever seen says Oneg implanted the X-gene, I don't know if something later established that or if people are assuming it from these pages below.  (shrug)  If you've seen any further clarifying material please do share.

It is repeated often by fans that the Celestials through their gene manipulation caused what later developed into mutant powers. Multiple sites note this. So don't feel alone in your thinking.

X-Men fandom wiki: Celestials

The Celestials are a race of extremely-powerful cosmic beings that hail from an unknown planet or star system in the universe. They are the ones responsible for the creation of [Mutants], the Deviants and the Eternals.

But it was in 1983 with the publication of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #2 that the Celestials section noted the mutant influence.RCO001_1469605285.thumb.jpg.f3996beec18e4d7c64710e145e4a57bb.jpg

Page 27, Celestials character summary:

Mutants01.thumb.PNG.0f050d828b8b243da06c4d98f1d8ae9f.PNG

That's what reinforced the narrative The Celestials created the genes leading to mutants.

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, fantastic_four said:

I don't think the Celestials origin story pages from What If? imply that Oneg's experimentation on apes meant a latent mutant gene was implanted in them. I think it just means these apes would evolve into the humans of today and even evolve(not mutate) into a more advanced human race. I think the pages really were just a re-telling of Jack Kirby's writing who wasn't thinking of the X-Men's origins when he wrote the Eternals. Kirby was a nut for 2001 A Space Odyssey and the debunked 70's bestselling Van Daniken book, Chariots of the Gods, so that's really the inspiration for the Eternals back story. Instead of a black monolith, it was giant robot-like Celestials.

The writing of the above origin story pages is a little vague, I admit, and I can see how it could have "evolved" into the Celestials story stated in the Official Marvel Handbook which states the Celestials implanted a dormant mutatable DNA complex in early humans.

I'm still trying to pinpoint the exact first mention of "X-gene" in the comics. I'm having trouble finding that but I think it was some time in the early 2000's in a X spinoff title.

I'm not sure that an R-rated X-Men film would do the IP any favors.

That being said, I have mentioned before that not being required to fit the PG-13 rating gives directors creative freedom. The Avengers had to re-shoot Phil Coulson's death because it was "too gory" to earn a PG-13 rating.

I think that there's too much stigma behind the R rating. There are very few films that I think are 'too adult' for high school kids. Maybe the MPAA needs to overhaul their ratings system. 13+, 15+, 18+? Deadpool/2 is the only comic book movie that I think is too adult for high school.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What are your favorite R-rated comic book movies?

Mine:

• A History of Violence
  • Akira
  • American Splendor
  • Batman v Superman: The Ultimate Edition
  • Blade
  • Blade II
  • Constantine
  • Crow, The (1994)
  • Deadpool
  • Deadpool 2
  • Dredd
  • Ghost World
  • Heavy Metal (1981)
  • Joker
  • Judge Dredd
  • Kick-Azz
  • Kingsman
  • Kingsman 2 The Golden Circle
  • Logan
  • Road To Perdition
  • Sin City
  • Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay
  • Timecop (1994)
  • V For Vendetta
  • Watchmen
  • The Wolverine Extreme Edition
  • Zack Snyder's Justice League

Some may also like Wanted, Atomic Blonde, Punisher: War Zone, Tank Girl, Barbwire, Snowpiercer, Defendor, Oldboy, Super or even Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. There are so many nowadays.

:banana:

Edited by Bosco685
Wrong is righted!! ;-)

On 9/29/2021 at 7:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Mine:

• A History of Violence
  • Akira
  • American Splendor
  • Blade
  • Blade II
  • Constantine
  • Crow, The (1994)
  • Deadpool
  • Deadpool 2
  • Dredd
  • Ghost World
  • Heavy Metal (1981)
  • Joker
  • Judge Dredd
  • Kick-Azz
  • Kingsman
  • Kingsman 2 The Golden Circle
  • Logan
  • Road To Perdition
  • Sin City
  • Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay
  • Timecop (1994)
  • V For Vendetta
  • Watchmen
  • The Wolverine Extreme Edition
  • Zack Snyder's Justice League

Some may also like Wanted, Atomic Blonde, Punisher: War Zone, Tank Girl, Barbwire, Snowpiercer, Defendor, Oldboy, Super or even Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. There are so many nowadays.

:banana:

No BvS, eh? hm