• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

Meantime...  I have big decisions to make...

Beach or list things on eBay?  Forecast says 86-87 but overcast... It sucks when you have off and everyone else is at work... 

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

In the meantime, some food for thought on the "CT" that has been noted by CGC. Beyond the issue I see with assigning an "apparent" grade (specifically CT) on something with a black mark or stain that size, and in that location, check out this blue label 9.4 with the black marker running at the lower right corner, which runs at least 6x the length of the one on the Tec 359 being discussed in this thread (I think it's more like 8x the length).

Miraculously, and somehow, it still managed a 9.4, and no CT notation. Amazing what some consistency could do for discussions of this nature, and yet, here it is to further confuse us.

Tec359.jpg

This book came from a collection out of Niagara Falls.  One brother, let's call him Gallant collected some sweet, sweet books.  His brother, Goofus was jealous of the sweet, sweet books.

Gallant suspected Goofus of stealing his books.  So Gallant marked all of his books with a Sharpie in the bottom left corner.  He then checked with his LCS to see if they had any books for sale with a Sharpie in the bottom left corner.

I have some of these books; they're great! 

9 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

This book came from a collection out of Niagara Falls.  One brother, let's call him Gallant collected some sweet, sweet books.  His brother, Goofus was jealous of the sweet, sweet books.

Gallant suspected Goofus of stealing his books.  So Gallant marked all of his books with a Sharpie in the bottom left corner.  He then checked with his LCS to see if they had any books for sale with a Sharpie in the bottom left corner.

Thanks for sharing! I bought a collection once that belonged to two brothers. The same predicament, except the brother with the sweet books decided to put stickers on all his books. The stories behind these collections are what makes them so great to me.

6 minutes ago, comicwiz said:
17 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Thanks for sharing! I bought a collection once that belonged to two brothers. The same predicament, except the brother with the sweet books decided to put stickers on all his books. The stories behind these collections are what makes them so great to me.

There's more information about that collection here:

49 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I should have said CBCS Facebook Group. lol 

I sacrificed brain cells by even reading some of their comments and screenshotting them for here. 

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

That's my thread! I created it for entertainment purposes and it's totally paying off...

49 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I sacrificed brain cells by even reading some of their comments and screenshotting them for here. 

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

I've had to stop even browsing the facebook groups. Without fail, there is always a comment that makes me want to punch myself in the neck.

I guess that speaks to my relationship with facebook in general.

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

So...did they?

:popcorn:

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So...did they?

I would also like to know the answer did his brother sell his comics?

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:
9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So...did they?

I would also like to know the answer did his brother sell his comics?

My memory is muddy, but if you click the link to see when I told the story the first time, it appears as if Goofus did sell Gallant's books:

On 2/4/2014 at 7:34 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here's one of the books Dale was talking about. You can see the horizontal black line on the bottom left, about a quarter of an inch up.

Here's how I remember the story...

There were two brothers living in Niagara Falls. Let's call them Goofus and Gallant. Gallant collected comic books; Goofus did not. Gallant had some sweet, sweet books; Goofus had none. Gallant was suspicious that the envious Goofus was stealing his sweet, sweet comic books so he marked all of the front covers with a black felt pen of some type.

Gallant later saw some of his sweet, sweet books with the marked covers for sale in a local comic shop, proving his brother had stolen from him.

FF_zpsacfc2f45.jpg

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I'm not sure I would put it that way. It's a paid opinion, and one of the two got it really wrong. To the point where financial impairment of one, to benefit another needs to place responsibility on the grader that messed it up. Spider-Dan's JIM 83 stands to be the best example of how this situation should be handled, even though initially CGC gave him pushback on addressing it, and they only rolled-up their sleeves when the situation went public. He bought it unrestored, got it CPR'd, and came back a purple label. Sold it, the person who bought it purple label resubbed and it came back a blue label. CGC needed to make that situation right.

Is it known where this Tec 359 is? I'd love to know its whearabouts and what grade it has now.

Well, I don't really disagree with anything you said here.  I'm just addressing the idea that this guy should have been complaining, loudly and often, on various forums about losing $9000.  I think it is hard to imagine the utility of complaining.  I mean, if you don't own the comic anymore, and you don't know where it is or who has it, who do you complain to?  You don't even know yet who is at fault: CBCS or CGC.

Plus, a lot of the loss was due to the auction not going his way.  I'm really surprised a 9.4 PLOD (Slight C-1) barely got, what?  7-8% of value? 

Maybe it will resurface soon, and the grade changes again.  Then maybe something could be done.

By the way...if the color touch along the top edge filled in any of the black squares on the checkerboard (or, really, anywhere else), and it can be seen, then it can be shown that that color touch existed in both slabs.

Assuming, of course, that it's not just that large "mark" (whatever it really is), which wouldn't be something that CGC normally calls "ct", and could probably be successfully challenged...IF it's not just that one mark.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh, right.  Yeah, they're pretty late to the conversation.  Starting on step 1 and not moving forward very quickly.  Tedious.

3 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

Oh, right.  Yeah, they're pretty late to the conversation.  Starting on step 1 and not moving forward very quickly.  Tedious.

I am starting to be somewhat swayed to what you stated to wrap my mind around what happened. 

The argument that restoration took place between CBCS slab and CGC slab is preposterous.  I believe that CBCS missed the trimming but that CGC overgraded the color touch.  The scenario has some merit where the buyer overpaid for the CBCS version then cracked and pressed it.  When the book got a grade bump but came back restored the seller thought he would auction it and not lose as much as he did... at that point... he has no argument because the book is out of his hands.  We may not have heard from him though because after he lost almost $9,500 he may have just taken a gun in a drunken despair / rage and offed himself. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

We may not have heard from him though because after he lost almost $9,500 he may have just taken a gun in a drunken despair / rage and offed himself. 

LOL.  First question once he posts his sad story on Facebook: Why did you pay $10,500 for a $6000 book?

1 minute ago, Tedsaid said:

LOL.  First question once he posts his sad story on Facebook: Why did you pay $10,500 for a $6000 book?

There are two fools in that scenario.  The winner and the underbidder that got the book to that point.  Let's remember that somewhere out there is someone who was disappointed that they lost the book but unbeknownst to them dodged a bullet. 

1 minute ago, Tedsaid said:

I'm just addressing the idea that this guy should have been complaining, loudly and often, on various forums about losing $9000.

There are several scenarios wherein someone wouldn't be "complaining loudly and often" in public. Several of them have already been mentioned in this thread.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

There are two fools in that scenario.  The winner and the underbidder that got the book to that point.  Let's remember that somewhere out there is someone who was disappointed that they lost the book but unbeknownst to them dodged a bullet. 

I had assumed it was an example of rage-bidding: when you will do anything to keep the other guy from winning your comic.  We've all been there, amirite?