• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Atoms absorb and emit light by electrons changing orbit.  Materials absorb and reflect in various wavelengths.  Change the incoming light and you change the outgoing light.  It's not a matter of contrast but interactions with light at the atomic level.  They use numerous alternate light sources in forensics to bring up fingerprints, different inks etc.  You can cover over pen writing with a sharpie, shine an alternate light source on it and see thru the sharpie ink, as in that scene in Manhunter (Red Dragon) where Lecter's message was intercepted.

This might all be true and interesting. The contrast I'm referring to is the printed ink versus the foreign media (particularly those I mentioned). I've looked at a lot of CT, particularly black, and not just on comics. It's never seen marker applied in a way that you wouldn't notice the difference in contrast from where the touch up started, and where it ended (i.e. the original printed surface). Natural light source works great, but it could also be done under a desk lamp.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You would be surprised what I have seen it used for with great success. 

:whatthe:

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That Flex Seal stuff though really works.  It's no joke... You would be surprised what I have seen it used for with great success. 

It looks like the advertising worked on me, I have three cans in my garage. White, black, clear. Never used it once. Can't wait for the day to use it. It won't be awesome like cutting a boat in half and mending it with flex tape, but I'll be happy if I can seal a hole in a garden hose or something.

Edited by comicwiz

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

This might all be true and interesting. The contrast I'm referring to is the printed ink versus the foreign media (particularly those I mentioned). I've looked at a lot of CT, particularly black, and not just on comics. It's never seen marker applied in a way that you wouldn't notice the difference in contrast from where the touch up started, and where it ended (i.e. the original printed surface). Natural light source works great, but it could also be done under a desk lamp.

Go visit the questioned document section of a crime lab-it will change your mind.

2 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

It looks like the advertising worked on me, I have three cans in my garage. White, black, clear. Never used it once. Can't wait for the day to use it. It won't be awesome like cutting a boat in half and mending it with flex tape, but I'll be happy if I can seal a hole in a garden hose or something.

I needed to have a window replaced as it was a VERY old window and caulk was just not going to work.  I didn't want to rush into the problem because I had to eventually repair the wall around the window which I can do.  (I easily play into the stereotype of an Italian American that has capable hands when it comes to masonry and stucco.)  ANY-WHOOOOO.... While waiting to make some phone calls and see when my contractor guy could come swap out the window... I lined the whole thing with Flex Seal tape to keep out the water and create a temporary seal.  It worked for the week I needed it to. 

I had a pipe with a crack that I immediately needed to seal up so I could assess the damage and fix it.  Flex Seal Tape.

I had used it several other places too as a temporary fix until the real job could be done.  

8 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

been tempted by flex seal myself or mainly the tape, the local radio station did a piece of "real or fake" and came up REAL.....

I haven't yet though lol @Crops068 Infomercials do love me! 

Spoiler

In Russia, Love do you!

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

been tempted by flex seal myself or mainly the tape, the local radio station did a piece of "real or fake" and came up REAL.....

I haven't yet though lol @Crops068 Infomercials do love me! 

Reveal hidden contents

In Russia, Love do you!

You are the impulse buying king if I ever met one. :P