• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...I donated the $5 to CaptainCanuck for his GoFundMe Detective #359 notes.

A little roundabout, but why not spread the love...?

:cloud9:

Okay, now THAT'S hilarious.  Well played.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...I donated the $5 to CaptainCanuck for his GoFundMe Detective #359 notes.

A little roundabout, but why not spread the love...?

:cloud9:

quote-spread-love-it-s-the-brooklyn-way-the-notorious-b-i-g-64-54-56.jpg

I have a few questions for those who seem adamant that CGC caught something missed by CBCS.

Before I get into this though, can someone please run a serial number lookup on the book - I can't seem to verify it through CGC's website and want to make sure it isn't only me that's having this issue.

The cert number as I see it on the label is 2032899001

Edited by comicwiz

16 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I have a few questions for those who seem adamant that CGC caught something missed by CBCS.

Before I get into this though, can someone please run a serial number lookup on the book - I can't seem to verify it through CGC's website and want to make sure it isn't only me that's having this issue.

The cert number as I see it on the label is 2032899001

Well, I am getting the same message.  That cert number no longer exists.  Which is odd.  Have they already submitted for re-regrading?  I know CBCS, as a matter of practice, will send CGC labels back to CGC, to update the census.  So it could have go to either place for a new grade.

3 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

Well, I am getting the same message.  That cert number no longer exists.  Which is odd.  Have they already submitted for re-regrading?  I know CBCS, as a matter of practice, will send CGC labels back to CGC, to update the census.  So it could have go to either place for a new grade.

I think it might be down. No cert numbers are running through at the moment. I'd like to find out when this was graded.

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

I think it might be down. No cert numbers are running through at the moment. I'd like to find out when this was graded.

Ah, I see.  Well, Buzzetta posted that it was graded in April of 2019.  He checked previously, and posted it at the CBCS forum.

In the meantime, some food for thought on the "CT" that has been noted by CGC. Beyond the issue I see with assigning an "apparent" grade (specifically CT) on something with a black mark or stain that size, and in that location, check out this blue label 9.4 with the black marker running at the lower right corner, which runs at least 6x the length of the one on the Tec 359 being discussed in this thread (I think it's more like 8x the length).

Miraculously, and somehow, it still managed a 9.4, and no CT notation. Amazing what some consistency could do for discussions of this nature, and yet, here it is to further confuse us.

Tec359.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

2 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

Ah, I see.  Well, Buzzetta posted that it was graded in April of 2019.  He checked previously, and posted it at the CBCS forum.

@Buzzetta do you remember the exact date? Otherwise, if someone can check when the resource is back up and can post a screenshot, please tag me.

8 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

In the meantime, some food for thought on the "CT" that has been noted by CGC. Beyond the issue I see with assigning an "apparent" grade (specifically CT) on something with a black mark or stain that size, and in that location, check out this blue label 9.4 with the black marker running at the lower right corner, which runs at least 6x the length of the one on the Tec 359 being discussed in this thread (I think it's more like 8x the length).

Miraculously, and somehow, it still managed a 9.4, and no CT notation. Amazing what some consistency could do for discussions of this nature, and yet, here it is to further confuse us.

Tec359.jpg

Wait... Why would black marker not intended as restoration be indicated as "color touch"...?

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wait... Why would black marker not intended as restoration be indicated as "color touch"...?

That's a great question! Judging by the other Tec 359 with a mark covering a white square, you'd think the intent wasn't to hide anything, or got there with the intention of restoring the comic. Yet CGC refers to it as CT on one book, but not the other.

Edited by comicwiz

Just now, comicwiz said:

That's a great question! Judging by the other Tec 359 with a mark cover a white square, you'd think the intent wasn't to hide anything, or got there with the intention of restoring the comic. Yet CGC refers to it as CT.

What's to say that that (the black mark) is what CGC is notating as color touch?

There could be color touch elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Well, it looks like a distribution mark.  As with arrival dates, those don't generally count against the grade, especially if they are unobtrusive like this one.  At least, I'm guessing that's why.  Perhaps ANY mark doesn't count a lot against a grade if it's unobtrusive.  After all, sometimes they'll give a blue label to an unverified signature and just knock it down a grade and note the sig.  A Stan Lee signature, for example, would be a lot bigger than this tiny mark.

If the black mark is what they were counting as CT on the op, that is incorrect.  CT is used to (try to) make the comic look better, not worse.  If that's it, someone at CGC REALLY screwed up here.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What's to say that that (the black mark) is what CGC is notating as color touch?

There could be color touch elsewhere.

There could be, but I doubt it. I trust the person detecting resto at CBCS more, but I'll hopefully get into that when I find out when the purple label Tec 359 was graded.

Just now, comicwiz said:

There could be, but I doubt it. I trust the person detecting resto at CBCS more, but I'll hopefully get into that when I find out when the purple label Tec 359 was graded.

The guy that doesn't use a black light to assist in restoration detection...?

To each their own - I guess.

1 minute ago, Tedsaid said:

Well, it looks like a distribution mark.

I said that in one of my first comments, because if you zoom in closely you can see it a little better. But someone mentioned "felt pen" so I resorted to calling it a "straying" mark - the point was to notate it as a mark, like you would a pen/pencil or grease pencil "on cover", not CT.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I hate to break it to you, but these guys don't use any tools like microscopes or black light (which is ironic, since they used such imagery in their earliest ads), just their seasoned eyes. The person doing it at CBCS could detect it from across the room, that's how confident I am with his abilities.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Has that been verified, that CBCS doesn't use black light?  One guy mentioned that over at the CBCS board, but he doesn't work there.  Sounds odd to me.  (And to him.)

2 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

Has that been verified, that CBCS doesn't use black light?  One guy mentioned that over at the CBCS board, but he doesn't work there.  Sounds odd to me.  (And to him.)

FWIW you don't need a black light, nor would it work on "black" media (i.e. marker, pen, overspray, etc).

Edited by comicwiz