• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2023 at 5:29 AM, Microchip said:

In which universe of declining movie returns is $43m not considered an incentive?   And thats just this production.   

Also you need to look at the producers.  There will be a tax incentive for those outside of the MCU/Disney Studio's.   Everyone is looking for tax vehicles outside of the full scrutiny of the infernal revenue service.    American's are a driving force in this sector.

Where did you see me state 15.8% is not an incentive? Yet it is not as extensive as you may have assumed (without actual factual numbers).

And yes. Other studios do produce films and shows there as well. But just like Georgia and other American states that offer tax breaks and other local labor and supply discounts to encourage filming in their locations, this attracts such business.

:smile:

On 7/11/2023 at 8:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

Where did you see me state 15.8% is not an incentive? Yet it is not as extensive as you may have assumed (without actual factual numbers).

And yes. Other studios do produce films and shows there as well. But just like Georgia and other American states that offer tax breaks and other local labor and supply discounts to encourage filming in their locations, this attracts such business.

You're quite correct, and there are other countries offering similar incentives.   But the fact that they've gone with Pinewood studio's make it clear the incentives outweighed the logistical concerns.  

Given the current state of 'rationalisation' of the executive ranks at Disney, there would undoubtedly have been a political consideration in all of this.

Since Fury of the Gods worked out on Saturday, I decided to put E1 of this on yesterday during lunch. It was okay. I could see the Ross switch coming a mile away, but that was a good way to start with "any human you know from this series could be a skrull". I felt pretty much nothing from the 'big death' at the end. Is that a me problem, or was it not written well-enough? I feel like the character's longevity and closeness to this story should have elicited a stringer response.

I'm totally on-board with being annoyed by SLJ simply playing SLJ. I felt that there was a sort of nuance with his acting of Nick Fury before, but this episode didn't feel continuous.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Even if the number is lower, there is no proof these series drives subs to D+. It is also a low episode count limited series, on a service that needs original content.  There is no way Disney makes their money back on this, especially when viewing number are rumored to be so so. 

On 7/11/2023 at 7:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I felt pretty much nothing from the 'big death' at the end. Is that a me problem, or was it not written well-enough?

It was weird, I expected the person to stand up at the end.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

The series still has some potential if there is a swerve.

Terrorists that can blend in is nothing more than a sleeper cell.   That could be the case with my next door neighbor... (yawn)

What if James Rhodes actually died or was captured in one of those cocoon type things during Civil War and was replaced by a Skrull upon his body being taken to the hospital by a behind the scenes Nick Fury?  

This show has the ability to change the landscape of the Marvel Universe... but will it? 

Boom 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:19 AM, drotto said:

Again, the MCU has painted itself into a corner with these streaming shows.  The viewership is much lower for these shows then a big tentpole movie.  If they make these shows required viewing, they risk alienating or confusing fans with missing information. Even worse, if they make them feel like homework, people may just stop all together driving people away from the films.  The end result is the shows must essentially stay side plot, and must be throw away to an extent. The shows therefore must be hopefully interesting side stories, that must always go full circle back to the movie status quo so people who have not seen them are not totally lost.

The fate of Nick Fury is an excellent example here.  We know going in he is never really at threat, and will win. It breaks any tension in the plot, lowers the stakes, and takes away a sense that this is essential viewing.  The only characters that are dyeing are either ones introduced for the series, or no longer have an important movie role to play. We also know this because he has already been shown as being in the Marvels, which Disney has stated happens after the events of this show.  

Unless of course... he dies... and Talos, (if he isn't really dead) or G'iah decides that the world will always need a "Nick Fury".

I agree with you on the "homework" line.  Once Fantasy Baseball and Fantasy Football began to feel like that to me, I stopped participating.  I already have a job and I did not envision FF or FB to be a second one.  I am certainly not going to allow the Marvel Cinematic Universe to become one. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, Buzzetta said:

Boom 

FINALLY we get something interesting. This episode at least had some better pacing, despite having a poor Bad Guy for the show (Gravik is near-tied with Falcon and Winter Soldier's absolutely forgettable Bad Guy.)

Although, I take issue with the Revolutionary War-era military tactics. Everyone was standing in the middle of the road with no cover, letting themselves be shot. That was odd to see for an action sequence. The show really continues to falter in terms of style.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, Dr. Balls said:

FINALLY we get something interesting. This episode at least had some better pacing, despite having a poor Bad Guy for the show (Gravik is near-tied with Falcon and Winter Soldier's absolutely forgettable Bad Guy.)

Although, I take issue with the Revolutionary War-era military tactics. Everyone was standing in the middle of the road with no cover, letting themselves be shot. That was odd to see for an action sequence. The show really continues to falter in terms of style.

it did pick up but then everyone is standing around while the two main characters face each other down

this show is dumb

On 7/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, jsilverjanet said:

it did pick up but then everyone is standing around while the two main characters face each other down

this show is dumb

I washed down that with an episode of Agents of Shield season 4 - which had way better acting, storytelling, twists and action - all crammed into 42 minutes. Hard to believe that the cast of AOS are so polished that it overshadows Samuel L Jackson and Ben Mendlesohn acting abilities.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I washed down that with an episode of Agents of Shield season 4 - which had way better acting, storytelling, twists and action - all crammed into 42 minutes. Hard to believe that the cast of AOS are so polished that it overshadows Samuel L Jackson and Ben Mendlesohn acting abilities.

giphy.gif

On 7/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, jsilverjanet said:

giphy.gif

I like Sam's style. His acting, per se, might not be everyone's cup of tea - but I like his delivery in most of the things he's in. He's a little like the AC/DC of Hollywood. Every part he plays sounds the same, even if it's new.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:11 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I like Sam's style. His acting, per se, might not be everyone's cup of tea - but I like his delivery in most of the things he's in. He's a little like the AC/DC of Hollywood. Every part he plays sounds the same, even if it's new.

he was different in django.  and one evil motor-scooter.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I considered that the secret service and the President were trapped in an open field because... they were.  

Skrulls might have had more of that whole extermis power going on and were simply going for the target no matter the cost. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, Buzzetta said:

I considered that the secret service and the President were trapped in an open field because... they were.  

Skrulls might have had more of that whole extermis power going on and were simply going for the target no matter the cost. 

There were like 12 cars in that field! All the agents were walking around in front of them, with only the main players taking cover - but I digress, I don’t want to nitpick that a whole lot, it’s a minor thing.

I have not ever been into the Extremis stuff - it was like Marvel’s way of doing mutants without doing mutants. I was surprised that this came back. It’s boring and filled with dumb techno double talk, and they keep trying to revisit it. I feel the same way with the Inhumans - a long, boring drawn out explanation to why people have superpowers because they sold off the ability to simply say “people mutated!”. After seeing extremis in this episode, there’s a real good chance I won’t bother finishing the show - it’s that boring to me.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, piper said:

Is it worth watching?

Depends where it lands.   Ask that question once the series is finished.

It's not bad.  It's not great.  But it could be something interesting and actually be the very thing that Iger is trying to steer the MCU away from.  If the show turns out to be great it will be because it has a pivotal impact on the MCU.  Disney is realizing that such things might be a mistake as it drives watching into what has already been described by some in the thread as a chore. 

Be that as it may... it could be important depending on where this all goes.