• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan lightsaber fights are always a sight to behold. And THAT voice...

:banana::ohnoez::banana::ohnoez::banana:

"Anakin is gone. I am what remains!" With those two voices blended together what a great way to close out one character's chapter and focus on the other.

:headbang:

Edited by Bosco685

On 6/22/2022 at 4:00 AM, Buzzetta said:

If you are able to just sit back and enjoy it... you will do that too.

To be fair, this is what I tried to do. The first 4 episodes are a somewhat difficult challenge to get through, though.

E5 gave me hope that the finale might be good.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:53 AM, MR SigS said:

You'd think a dark side user would be a bit more thorough when trying to kill a dark side user. 

I don't get why anyone would pull the lightsaber straight out anyway. I'd go straight up. :idea:

I'd julienne mofos

On 6/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, MR SigS said:

Shouting is the new 'acting.'

And yes, they'll probably make her a hero, even though her idea of revenge is killing innocent Jedi and citizens in order to get Anikin for killing her innocent Jedi friends. 

If only Qui Gon Jinn knew a lightsaber through the gut could be shrugged off, probably none of them would be in this mess.

And if seven ten year-old Leia can fix sabotaged droids and broken hanger doors, you'd think she'd have been able to fix the Falcon all those years later in ESB at least as quickly as Amazing Ray did for that deadbeat loser Solo, who knew nothing about the ship he customized and flew for decades.

D+ is not Star Wars :sumo:

Screenshot_2020-12-12-17-18-15-1.png

On 6/22/2022 at 12:59 AM, Buzzetta said:

lol Maul survived being cut in half. 

True, the bad writing started long before the Kenobi show.

If they can write a plot that has Palpatine surviving a fall down a shaft before being vaporized in the explosion, I guess they can write anything into canon.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:36 AM, Buzzetta said:

Well now we know where "that" scar came from... 

But they couldn't come up with something original and imaginative to explain it. The 'lightsaber to Vader's mask' thing was already done in Fallen Order iirc. But I can hear D+ saying, "That was on the right side of his mask, exposing his right eye. In Kenobi, you see his left eye."

(tsk) Lucafilm

Edited by MR SigS

On 6/22/2022 at 1:00 AM, Buzzetta said:

If you are looking to hate it... you will.

I didn't want to. I really didn't, but the writing is amateur. It's almost like Bail Organa wants Luke and Kenobi found. I picture him ending the communication like Danny DeVito in Ruthless People; "Now that oughta do it!" 

Wanna know what I've done?

I  have so little faith this is good, I've  YouTubed Obi Wan vs Vader

Its alright 

But, this whole thing is pandering, stupid and I hate Disney. 

Strong final episode.  There are still things to quibble about.

Spoiler

Going back to the last episode, I still hate that Reva lives.  It seems the showrunners are afraid to kill off characters which just lessens the impact of when characters receive what should be mortal wounds.  That said, Reva's character has potential.  I don't like what I've seen of the character thus far as she's just been angry for the sake of being angry.  Part of it is the actresses choice of delivery of her character and the lines.  Part of it is the Director for not coaxing out a better performance.  And part of it is just the writers not giving the character any depth to work with.  But there's conflict in her, and where there's conflict, there's room for a story to be told.  I think too often fans complain that there's a whole universe yet we continue to focus on the original trilogy characters.  Well now we have someone knew, someone who could have an interesting story moving forward.  I'm willing to give Reva another chance, but once chance only.

Other things I disliked, space travel and time.  It bothers me that Reva immediately ends up on Tatooine while Obi Wan is still in the transport fleeing from Vader.  And then later we see him hyperjump to Tatooine and is there in a matter of minutes.  It's really just all too convenient.  Too simple.

That said, the Vader vs Obi Wan sequence was great.  Not the best lightsaber duel, but you could feel the emotion from Obi Wan.  And I liked that we actually got some Hayden Christiansen in there, even if that moment felt much too similar to a similar sequence in Rebels.  At the end of the day, the series did a good job filling in the gaps in some existing character histories and it stuck the landing much better than Boba Fett.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, ExNihilo said:

Strong final episode.  There are still things to quibble about.

Hide contents

Going back to the last episode, I still hate that Reva lives.  It seems the showrunners are afraid to kill off characters which just lessens the impact of when characters receive what should be mortal wounds.

That did bother me. How do you stick a lightsaber right through the middle of someone's torso and they come out the other side one episode later back on the hunt??

On 6/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, fett said:

I actually watched the Ms Marvel episode before the Obi-Wan. 

I generally do this as well, since I don't expect MM to be as satisfying as Obi Wan. However, this time I had to watch Obi Wan first. 

On 6/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

That did bother me. How do you stick a lightsaber right through the middle of someone's torso and they come out the other side one episode later back on the hunt??

Agreed. apparently you can stab someone cleanly with a lightsaber and one episode later they are walking around like they only had heartburn, ie. Grand Inquisitor and Reva. 

On 6/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, MR SigS said:

True, the bad writing started long before the Kenobi show.

If they can write a plot that has Palpatine surviving a fall down a shaft before being vaporized in the explosion, I guess they can write anything into canon.

But they couldn't come up with something original and imaginative to explain it. The 'lightsaber to Vader's mask' thing was already done in Fallen Order iirc. But I can hear D+ saying, "That was on the right side of his mask, exposing his right eye. In Kenobi, you see his left eye."

(tsk) Lucafilm

Rebels did the broken mask thing with the Vader vs Ashoka fight also. 

If I see one more person proving light sabers are the least deadly weapon ever I will scream.

So Reva essentially saves and watches over Luke now.  Screw you Disney.

Taken as a whole,  I liked this series.  The final episode was really good and did a nice job of helping me get over the fact that Ben and Vader met between revenge and ANH. The ghost at the end referencing a long way to go implies we could be in for another season and it could be way better if they stray off the Skywalker family ties now that this season is out of the way. 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, drotto said:

So Reva essentially saves and watches over Luke now.  Screw you Disney.

I didn't get that impression at all or that she would even stay on Tatooine. I assume, if the character is popular with audiences, they will use her in the future as a light side ally.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

Lightsaber "blade" is about 2 inch diameter, so that's a mighty good sized body-piercing she got. Even if only through the abdomen it missed the spine, aorta and vena cava?  Ok so it wasn't centered? But it still would have bisected and caulderized the intestines, so at SOME point her food is going to hit a caulderized dead-end in her GI tract. 

Just a flesh wound. 

Edited by jcjames