• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, media_junkie said:

Nope, it wasn't moving/in-flight.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:31 PM, media_junkie said:

I agree with this 100%

And considering the mass of a transport ship is much more than an X-Wing, it was also at heavy thrust for take off. Vader seemed to be more pissed and annoyed at the prospect of escape (with his body language) and I thought it was another great example of the "young" Vader being a little more bold and quick-to-temper as the show is portraying.

Plus, as an aside, I like how Obi Wan - seeing firsthand Anakin's talent with piloting AND engineering - has faith that Leia has inherited the instincts to repair the overhead doors from her father. I am super impressed with the writer's depth of character development and details on the show.

Edited by Dr. Balls

No one's mentioned Vader's voice yet. Am I the only one blown away by the uncanny accuracy to Jame Earl Jones? Edit. It is JEJ! @91

I thought they used something like Deep Fake voice technology.

Though I wonder if that really is the optimal modern voice for Vader. It sounds so 70s ish and calm-- quite different than Christianson angry and screaming all the time. It's like he calmed down 100 notches.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, bronze_rules said:

It's like he calmed down 100 notches.

Or he's so far beyond angry that his voice comes across as calm and measured?

I thought JEJ dropped dead a few years back, I was pleasantly surprised that he's not only still around, but also sounds amazing.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, awakeintheashes said:
On 6/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, The Commissioner said:

I thought the lightsaber battle between Vader and the Third Sister was great.  That thing that confused me though, and maybe I missed this part, but how did the Grand Inquisitor survive?  Apparently everyone is able to survive getting a lightsaber through the stomach because of their "Plot Armor".

He mentioned revenge is a powerful force for staying alive, but I also think his race has two stomachs (no joke). I don't know why I know that, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Depends on what they hit. The lightsaber cut would be clean and cauterize the wound. As long as it passes through without hitting the spine or damage essential internal organs too much then survival is possible. Sort of like an abdominal gunshot wound, but one that does not bleed. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Plus, as an aside, I like how Obi Wan - seeing firsthand Anakin's talent with piloting AND engineering - has faith that Leia has inherited the instincts to repair the overhead doors from her father. I am super impressed with the writer's depth of character development and details on the show.

The thing I did not like about that scene was that the first reaction is we are too big to fit in and fix it. Who wired it in the first place then, another child?

Leia also had help from her droid pet. Without it that was not getting solved any time soon.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:44 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Or he's so far beyond angry that his voice comes across as calm and measured?

I thought JEJ dropped dead a few years back, I was pleasantly surprised that he's not only still around, but also sounds amazing.

They de-aged his voice from what I understand. I believe he’s pushing 90 years old (dang!) so he is getting a digital assist but it’s awesome that he’s involved. 

On 6/17/2022 at 2:39 PM, kimik said:

The thing I did not like about that scene was that the first reaction is we are too big to fit in and fix it. Who wired it in the first place then, another child?

lol Perhaps a technologically-inclined Jawa?

I actually like where they are going with her. I think they are going hard on examples of how she ended up being who she was, and I think they have a long-term plan to explore her character pre-New Hope. (I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing).

I'd bet a few bucks on the fact that the actors who play Luke, Leia and Obi Wan could theoretically play those characters for the next five years in independent stories leading up to a first trilogy reboot using the same actors who have caught up in age for the story - and we'd get the Obi Wan/Vader lightsaber battle we weren't given as kids.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, bronze_rules said:

No one's mentioned Vader's voice yet. Am I the only one blown away by the uncanny accuracy to Jame Earl Jones? Edit. It is JEJ! @91

I thought they used something like Deep Fake voice technology.

Though I wonder if that really is the optimal modern voice for Vader. It sounds so 70s ish and calm-- quite different than Christianson angry and screaming all the time. It's like he calmed down 100 notches.

It is and isn't. Since he's so old he was apparently AI assisted with it.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:14 PM, bentbryan said:

They de-aged his voice from what I understand. I believe he’s pushing 90 years old (dang!) so he is getting a digital assist but it’s awesome that he’s involved. 

If you listen to JEJs voice at the end of RoS you can hear how weak and cracked it is. They have definitely enhanced it for the show 

The fifth episode was really good :ohnoez: I only had couple minor problems. First in flashback where Obi-wan and Anakin where practicing why did they not make Anakin look younger?!? and if they did not want to use money on that why it had to be master vs padawan rather than master vs jedi? 

Second Leias robot which had that imperial chip was "bad" and therefore had red "eyes" and when Leia fixed it those "eyes" turn to blue. That was campy stuff.

All the other stuff was good and the third sister actually turned into a interesting character. 

On 6/19/2022 at 1:40 AM, godzilla43 said:

The fifth episode was really good :ohnoez: I only had couple minor problems. First in flashback where Obi-wan and Anakin where practicing why did they not make Anakin look younger?!? and if they did not want to use money on that why it had to be master vs padawan rather than master vs jedi? 

Second Leias robot which had that imperial chip was "bad" and therefore had red "eyes" and when Leia fixed it those "eyes" turn to blue. That was campy stuff.

All the other stuff was good and the third sister actually turned into a interesting character. 

it was Master vs Jedi. Obi-Wan was just dissing him by saying he would alway be a padawan. :) 

Edited by fett

On 6/19/2022 at 5:34 AM, Grendel72 said:

Dunno about that...Anakin was still wearing his sexy braids ? 

Yeah, Anakin was still a Padawan. As you pointed out, he had the Padawan braid. 

He didn’t become a Jedi Knight until Clone Wars (animated) and RoTS (live action)

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, Larryw7 said:

His voice is also weak in Rogue One.

I need to revisit the Rebels episodes he did voice work for to see if it sounds weak or they started to enhance it then.

Another cool part about that show was they even kept the same actors for voice work on the animated show. JEJ and Forest Whitaker to name a few. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

So, I watched E3 yesterday. I didn't bother to finish E2. lol

This show sucks. When Darth Vader said, "Third Sister", it sounded so profoundly bad. Why did they give her such an awful name? lol

Obi-Wan is okay. Darth Vader is okay. Leia is annoying AF. Everything else sucks. I will keep watching out of pure curiosity, to see if the only 2 good characters in the show do anything worth remembering.