• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, drotto said:

So, because it is the least bad Star Wars that Disney has given us we suck it up and enjoy it because at least it is Star Wars? First, I disagree both Rebels, parts of the Mandalorian, and Rouge One are far better then this.  Second, why should we accept a product that has multiple obvious flaws?

Things will only get better at this point of Disney trips over it by mistake, or enough people speak up and they re-evaluate what they are doing.

Just "parts"...? *than :eek:

Verdict: This show is not good. Parts of episodes 5 and 6 are great - and very Star Wars - but most of this series is just annoying or poorly-contrived. The music is very important to something evoking that Star Wars feeling, and this series greatly missed the mark there.

I'd give it maybe a 5.5/10, considering how great some parts are. Still better than The Last Jedi, but that's such a low bar.

I'd say that nearly-all of Vader's scenes were good, so it'd be fair to say that his character was respected here. Other than becoming randomly omnipotent with The Force, Obi-Wan's character was done fairly well, too. However, other than those two, not a single character was compelling for me other than the Grand Inquisitor (who was wasted for much of this series).

I'm somewhat satisfied to see more Peak Vader, but disappointed that it was in a series that I don't have any interest in re-watching.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, drotto said:

You're certainly allowed your opinion and I respect it:foryou:

However, the series has been generally well received across the board.

001.png

002.jpg

Edited by I like pie

On 6/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, Drummy said:

That last link's reviewer from 'boundingintocomics' called this show far more terrible than anything 'Star Wars' has ever done, including 'The Rise of Skywalker', and that to me is patently false.  It wasn't the best show I've ever seen, as issues of writing, characterization, and simple logic all crop up more than once (why doesn't being stabbed with a lightsaber kill people? etc.), but Episodes 5 and 6 in particular had merits.  I'd say overall a 'B-' with some great moments and several eye-rolling ones as well. But ROS and even the Book of Boba Fett were much worse IMO.

Dan

I hate to say it. But the pattern nowadays is if you didn't get all your needs fulfilled from a movie or TV show there are those that will proclaim something was complete garbage. Yet if they self-reflected it would dawn on them it is the heat of the moment. But instead, it is the worst thing they can ever remember (meaning they have very short memories).

On 6/24/2022 at 8:38 AM, I like pie said:

You're certainly allowed your opinion and I respect it:foryou:

However, the series has been generally well received across the board.

001.png

002.jpg

I would call that "average" more than "well-received". It's a pretty bad score considering that Obi-Wan and Vader were the tentpole characters of the series.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would call that "average" more than "well-received". It's a pretty bad score considering that Obi-Wan and Vader were the tentpole characters of the series.

Disagree. RT is above average and the tougher site, IMDb, is actually pretty good.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, drotto said:

I would consider the source with this review. I haven’t read it, so not agreeing or disagreeing, but this site, based on other articles I’ve seen, seem to cater to a part of the fandom I’d rather not be associated with. 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:05 AM, The Meta said:

Thats because they DO have extremely short term memories 

There is nothing Star Wars that is worse than the sequels

They can't even be bothered with referencing the source material. The fact that the writer didn't even watch SW:ROTS before writing the reunion episode tells me he is NOT a Star Wars fan, and a horrible, but not surprising choice by KK.

Casting activists instead of hiring writers is a bad move.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:30 PM, MR SigS said:

They can't even be bothered with referencing the source material. The fact that the writer didn't even watch SW:ROTS before writing the reunion episode tells me he is NOT a Star Wars fan, and a horrible, but not surprising choice by KK.

Casting activists instead of hiring writers is a bad move.

If the reports are to be believed, that could be the case. It sounded like the original premise had revolved around Maul and Luke, which may have pleased some fans, it would have alienated a lot of people that understand the canon and Maul’s place in this timeline. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they substituted Leia for Luke and Reva for Maul and rushed some parts of the writing to make it a little different and less blatant that they didn’t understand the Star Wars universe. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/24/2022 at 4:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Rebels influence on Episode 6 is really cool

I always get the spooky chills when I can recognize Anakin under the mask. The finale made it even better, IMO, in the way you could hear his voice coming through Vader’s voice as well. 

He’s wearing his evil on the outside and his previous self is not only under the armor, but trapped inside the Vader voice. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:53 PM, awakeintheashes said:

If the reports are to be believed, that could be the case. It sounded like the original premise had revolved around Maul and Luke, which may have pleased some fans, it would have alienated a lot of people that understand the canon and Maul’s place in this timeline. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they substituted Leia for Luke and Reva for Maul and rushed some parts of the writing to make it a little different and less blatant that they didn’t understand the Star Wars universe. 

I think maybe you quoted the wrong post.