• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2022 at 9:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm sick of fiction acting like everyone is redeemable, or has a 'point'. No, bad people and bad ideas exist.

I don't think she's been redeemed in anyone's eyes. It's doubtful she ever appears on screen again for a variety of reasons, but there is a lot they could do with the character in comics and animation. I'm not eager to see her again, but maybe they will replace her with an older actor if they do some sequel clean-up duty. 

I enjoyed the series, but I wish it would have focused Obi-Wan’s journey between RoTS and ANH and not relied on ANH so much. One of the only things that needed to be fixed with the OT was that god awful lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan and Vader and the awkward conversation during it. I’m glad the finale fixed that  

Vader and the Inquisitors could have still played a prominent role, but I don’t think it was necessary to have Luke and Leia serve as a device for Obi-Wan reconnecting with the force. I did like the way Obi-Wan and Leia interacted and it helped put her on her course, so maybe it was, who knows. 

If there is a Season 2, maybe we will get more journey of Obi-Wan and less adventures in babysitting. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/23/2022 at 10:39 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I don't think she's been redeemed in anyone's eyes. It's doubtful she ever appears on screen again for a variety of reasons, but there is a lot they could do with the character in comics and animation. I'm not eager to see her again, but maybe they will replace her with an older actor if they do some sequel clean-up duty. 

They tentatively announced a spin off show for her.  Either Disney is trolling or they have plans.  

On 6/23/2022 at 11:16 AM, drotto said:

It has been reported in Radio Times, ScreenGeek, and commented on on Forbes.

I'm not sure on their track record, so I'll leave it to @Bosco685 to provide any input there, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see the need for it or how her character could advance any story that needed to be told during this time. Maybe she could play a role in a show centered around Cal Kestis, but there is no reason for a show that revolves around her. 

It just seems like something put out by a site looking to generate rage-clicks based on the grievances of a certain part of the fandom.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I'm not sure on their track record, so I'll leave it to @Bosco685 to provide any input there, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see the need for it or how her character could advance any story that needed to be told during this time. Maybe she could play a role in a show centered around Cal Kestis, but there is no reason for a show that revolves around her. 

It just seems like something put out by a site looking to generate rage-clicks based on the grievances of a certain part of the fandom.

I'd be careful with some of these more credible reporting sites. As from time to time they will reference Giant Freakin Robot and/or We Got This Covered. That is when you may want to stop reading a given article.

The former especially now has everyone getting a spin-off show. Not surprised if they report Leia's robot Lola will get a spin-off show.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:08 AM, drotto said:

I just see this show as the worst kind of nostalgia baiting.  They give the fans reasons to watch the show by including Obi-Wan, Vader, Leia, etc.  I mean what Star Wars fan does not want more of these characters.  But then they give you poor writing, and a story that either outright contradicts, rewrights, or subverts the original story, that as is seen here leads to about half the people loving the show and the other half kinda ticked off. There are ways to have done this series that would have respected the OT, personally I think this just changes it completely. 

Examples of poor writing.  

1. The I am not really dead when I should be was used twice.  Plus this is already overdone (Darth Maul).

2. The Vader broken face mask, while visually effective again has been used twice before in Rebela and in a video game.

3. Reva's background makes zero sense to me. Anakin killed everyone in the temple, and Palpatine had it locked down after that. Maybe she would have been spared, but no way a child would see the holocrons, and unlikely that information would have been there.

4. The first Vader vs Obi fight with the fire. Sorry, just not buying it.

5. Precocious Leia, sorry knows too much and acts in ways a 10 year old never would.

6 Obi struggling with power, but now they are back because we need a good fight.  Out of practice Obi would lose to Vader at the top of his game.  He barely beat him in the first place.

7. Again Reva's pivot from dark to light side was a retread of other stories (see video games), and again goes against the notion that the dark side is very alluring and easy.  It is too abrupt.  I am also tired at being told to forgive people that have indiscriminately killed. 

8. Forcing Leia into the story. Again makes no sense.

9. Vader knows too much based on these events.  Saying Palpatine leashed him is weak.  Vader has been shows numerous times in the comics going against the Emporer when he desired,  and was good at keeping it secret.

10. Light sabers apparently suck.

Another big poor writing I missed and needs mentioning.  Travel like so many shows now ( looking at you Game of Thrones) is now virtually instantaneous.  The character needs to be somewhere fast for the plot, be damned if it makes any sense.  How did Obi-Wan finish fighting Vader, get off that planet, hyperspace, land on Tatooine, in the same amount of time it took Reva to chase Luke? Her sequence would have been over in minutes. Obi's trip at best would have been a few hours. 

And since when did he have this level of force vision?  I do not remember that being hinted at in the PT or Clone Wars.  His feeling in ANH about Alderon was very very vague, but admittingly in the same general power set. This was very clear that it was put there because the writers had essentially forgotten about Luke and what Obi's mission was, and needed a quick way around that.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:39 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I imagine they would go grey jedi like Quinlan Vos perhaps?  If it were me, I'd honestly take it a step further and make her alignment more similar to Asajj Ventress.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:00 PM, drotto said:

Harsh, good I am glad it comes across this way.  This show utterly changes the OT, by establishing a series of events that flat out do not fit with the OT at all, and do not make sense. 

1. Luke would remember that fight. Yet he has no clue about Jedi and complains constantly about his dull existence.

2. Leia would not remember Obi-Wan after the events of this show?

3. Bale Organa is not this dumb.  Calling Obi-Wan is a massive risk to Luke and Leia. No way he would risk it.

4. Reva figures out who Luke is?  Like 4 people know this. That is essential to the story in ANH.  If she can figure it out, why does Vader never figure it out?

5. If Vader had even a hint that Obi-Wan was still alive he would not have stopped looking period. Yet  ANH clearly states he has been a hermit for years.  It also is very clear they have not fought since ROTS.  Sorry, it does.

6. Tatooine is a back water world on the edge of the know Galaxy in ANH. Sure seem to me to be the center of the universe.  No way Luke could hide there.

7. Leia is not the same character here (not just being a younger version).  She has abilities and knowledge that were never apparent before, and at 10!!!

8. It castrates Vader.  How can the greatest Villain in modern pop culture lose twice like this and with such a whimper at points (yes the I am too scared of fire and forgot how to use the force nonsense). It also makes him stupid, when people can figure out that easily who he is and who his kids are, yet he never does? 

I choose to stop here before this becomes a long rant.

Not saying there are not some quality moments, and good performances.  It just does not work with the OT, and since that is the origin of Star Wars, it is paramount to maintain that central tenants of those films.  This changes them period.

Some of these are valid points. But nonetheless, this show, even with some shortcomings, is miles better than any of the sequels that Disney produced. So I chose to immerse myself when watching, found it enjoyable and reminscent of what Lucas was doing. 

On 6/23/2022 at 4:01 PM, Lpgk said:

Some of these are valid points. But nonetheless, this show, even with some shortcomings, is miles better than any of the sequels that Disney produced. So I chose to immerse myself when watching, found it enjoyable and reminscent of what Lucas was doing. 

So, because it is the least bad Star Wars that Disney has given us we suck it up and enjoy it because at least it is Star Wars? First, I disagree both Rebels, parts of the Mandalorian, and Rouge One are far better then this.  Second, why should we accept a product that has multiple obvious flaws?

Things will only get better at this point of Disney trips over it by mistake, or enough people speak up and they re-evaluate what they are doing.

Edited by drotto

On 6/22/2022 at 7:49 PM, I like pie said:

As a series, I give it a 7.5-8.0 /10.

Sure, there are some eye rolls but it was worth it to see Ewan back in the robes and prime Vader on screen.

I would go with a slightly lower rating but I share the exact sentiment.  I’m happy to find Star Wars gold where I can find it.