• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, I like pie said:

I didn't get that impression at all or that she would even stay on Tatooine. I assume, if the character is popular with audiences, they will use her in the future as a light side ally.

I thought she already got her own show?  #star_wars_is_dead_to_me

This episode was better, but I wonder what form of Red Bull they have that turns a washed up Oldie-Wan that can barely stand on his own two feet against Vader and is cut off from the force turn into a more powerful that Yoda Jedi Master in a matter of days.

Overall, it was typical DIS SW fare - nothing great, just more formulaic programming. That being said, I am fine with it if they keep expanding the SW universe. Sooner or later they will do something worthwhile again.

Edited by kimik

On 6/22/2022 at 6:06 PM, Lpgk said:

Agreed. apparently you can stab someone cleanly with a lightsaber and one episode later they are walking around like they only had heartburn, ie. Grand Inquisitor and Reva. 

So did Qui Gon not die? He got run through like that.

Overall the series was decent. Great at times and very flawed at others.

One thing I am still having a hard time with is, how shockingly cheap it looked. Mandalorian looks like it has twice the budget. And season 3 looks even bigger in scope.

I wouldn't use the same production team. I usually like Deborah Chow. She had a great history with Star Wars and TV shows like Better Call Saul, but she also really dropped the ball.

The final saber battle was filled with terrible shaky cam, quick jump cuts, and hard to follow top views. The rock tossing was a bit much as well. Although I loved the part...

Spoiler

where Vaders mask was broken. Everything about that was on point! Amazing. Qui Gon was nice also. It ended great.

Edited by Rip

On 6/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, zuckuss2003 said:

Taken as a whole,  I liked this series.  The final episode was really good and did a nice job of helping me get over the fact that Ben and Vader met between revenge and ANH. The ghost at the end referencing a long way to go implies we could be in for another season and it could be way better if they stray off the Skywalker family ties now that this season is out of the way. 

I wouldn't mind seeing them explore more of the Force Ghost storyline. Great story started at the end of Season 6 of the Clone Wars in Eps 11-13. 

Last episode was bad but watchable.  Obi-wan vs Vader was a great battle scene but now suddenly Obi-wan had his powers back?!? and he is really powerful. When he was under all that rubble I was like okay now Qui-gon Jinn will appear but no. Obi-wan just had some realization and became way stronger. If there would have been a scene where Obi-wan is fishing and Qui-gon appears suddenly in his boat saying damn I have missed fishing that would have been better scene which they came up with. Third sister story conclusion was a let down like everything with this show.

Ewan McGregor is great Obi-wan and if they make a second season I hope that no one of this cast will return except McGregor.

I enjoyed most of the series, and Ewan's performance was excellent.  Great to see the dialog between Ben and Vader.  One thing I wasn't sure of:  Did Reva figure out that Owen was hiding Vader's kid, or just that he was hiding someone important to Obi-Wan?  I couldn't quite tell from the dialog.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, Mickey7 said:

I enjoyed most of the series, and Ewan's performance was excellent.  Great to see the dialog between Ben and Vader.  One thing I wasn't sure of:  Did Reva figure out that Owen was hiding Vader's kid, or just that he was hiding someone important to Obi-Wan?  I couldn't quite tell from the dialog.

Of course she was planning to take a revenge against Anakin.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:08 AM, drotto said:

7. Again Reva's pivot from dark to light side was a retread of other stories (see video games), and again goes against the notion that the dark side is very alluring and easy.  It is too abrupt.  I am also tired at being told to forgive people that have indiscriminately killed. 

I'm sick of fiction acting like everyone is redeemable, or has a 'point'. No, bad people and bad ideas exist.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm sick of fiction acting like everyone is redeemable, or has a 'point'. No, bad people and bad ideas exist.

Give me the real Sephiroth

An insane, powerful, selfish tyrant who would destroy the world to rule

Oh wait, that would create uncontrollable fear, unlike the news today

Again Star Wars, even Disney Star Wars, has proven that you can add to the cannon well and respectfully.  Clone Wars is a master class about expanding the universe and growing characters in a way that completely fits. It truly does make the PT much better, and fills in many of the gaps.  Rebels does a pretty good job also.  Even Rogue One does an exceptional job of filling in that part of the history in a way the adds to the story. It can be done right with competent writers and a with people the clearly grasp and respect what the OT gave us.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thank you!!  It is the same reason I hate how Scarlet Witch was handled in the Dr Strange.  You can push a charter too far and have them do too many evil things, that it makes it virtually impossible to pull them back.  Giving them a logical reason to hate, and be angry, Ok I get that.  It makes them a character, not a cutout. Disney especially seems to think everyone is redeemable, or we can fix that later.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:02 AM, Cozmo-One said:

I've only watched the last few episodes once so far, so my details may be slightly off.  However I do think that it doesn't stray so far from the OT (from a certain point of view).  Some of these thoughts may be tenuous, but that's what I'm choosing to believe :)

He never saw Reva ignite the lightsaber.  He just knew he was running away from some threat (possibly Tuskan Raiders), slipped and got knocked out, and woke back up at home

But she did remember him, one of her first lines to Luke in ANH is "Ben Kenobi, where is he?!"  I think Obi-Wan's line at the end of this show about keeping their connection secret to protect themselves leads to the wording of her "you're my only hope" message she stored in R2.

Agree with this, my thought was he was just so desperate by that point he wanted to do something.  I guess it it was done so that the next point below can take place - leading to Reva's 'redemption'.

I think it was mentioned in an early episode that she saw the holocron's in the Jedi Temple...which could include the one Obi-Wan saw (in Ep III)  with the emperor calling Anakin Lord Vader.  Reva figured out the connection with Bail and Obi-Wan which is why she went after Leia.  Reva then figured out about Luke due to Bail's dumb message and her knowledge that Anakin is Vader.

I believe that's why they show Palpatine basically 'leashing' him at the end of this episode

Curious which abilities?  I know some folks didn't like that she fixed the ship in Ep 5, but she wasn't able to do that until her pet droid pointed out what actually was broken.  Prior to that, she was floundering.

I think only one person has figured that out, and she was there when he killed her youngling friends, saw the holocrons at the Jedi temple, saw Bail's ill-timed message.  Vader only lost to his old master, whom he had never defeated.  He easily handled Reva, toying with her without even using his lightsaber

I'm glad I read this before typing out basically everything you said lol 

One thing the on-screen stuff has't conveyed well is the way in which Palpatine leashed and demoralized Vader. The comics have done it very well, but I wish they would show the extent to which he has before they allude to it on screen like the finale did. It doesn't really click with viewers , and I don't fault them. 

Edited by awakeintheashes