• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 11:47 AM, D84 said:

I'm down for anyone besides the snotty version of MJ we got. She's so obnoxious.

Peter is better off without her. Hell, Ned would be a better choice.

She was much more tolerable in this film.  I even liked her here, where I could not stand her in Homecoming. They also made it clear she is not the comic MJ, she clearly says and stresses her name is Michelle Jones.  It may seem like a little thing, but it was put there intentionally. 

Plus, with the ending used (although I think it unlikely), it could be a complete reset.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, drotto said:

She was much more tolerable in this film.  I even liked her here, where I could not stand her in Homecoming. They also made it clear she is not the comic MJ, she clearly says and stresses her name is Michelle Jones.  It may seem like a little thing, but it was put there intentionally. 

Plus, with the ending used (although I think it unlikely), it could be a complete reset.

She wasn't Mary Jane, but they called her MJ for recognition purposes, which means to me that comparisons are fair.

She was better in this movie, but still annoying. The comment to Dr. Strange about knowing the magic word, "please" made me wish the the character's parents had used birth control. 

To be clear, I mean the character, not the actress. She's doing the best she can with bad writing. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, D84 said:

She wasn't Mary Jane, but they called her MJ for recognition purposes, which means to me that comparisons are fair.

She was better in this movie, but still annoying. The comment to Dr. Strange about knowing the magic word, "please" made me wish the the character's parents had used birth control. 

To be clear, I mean the character, not the actress. She's doing the best she can with bad writing. 

MCU writers in general seem to believe that snarky/smart-alecky is a legitimate way to portray a strong woman.  "See, she's mouthing off to everyone and not taking any guff from the Patriarchy.  She's a strong woman!"  Strong women aren't that one-dimensional.

Ok, so just got back from seeing this with the family.  Overall it was a good movie, but I don't think it was a great movie.  I feel as if it would have been a better movie if they had left 20 minutes on the editing room floor.  It was just a bit too long.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, MattTheDuck said:

MCU writers in general seem to believe that snarky/smart-alecky is a legitimate way to portray a strong woman.  "See, she's mouthing off to everyone and not taking any guff from the Patriarchy.  She's a strong woman!"  Strong women aren't that one-dimensional.

Agree with all these comments about MJ.  The smart alecky and the kick *** chicks are way overdone.  Its become cliche.  The girls I know are nice and intelligent.  I loved the movie-maybe the best one yet.  Dr Strange could have been a bit smarter tho.  Like I'm no master of the mistic river or anything but the first thing out of my mouth would have been

Spoiler

"Is there anyone you DONT want to forget you are spider man?  Also I would have addressed the ok everyone forgets but wut about all the newspapers and stuff?

Spoiler

The way they tied all the various spider man films together was genius.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, kav said:

Agree with all these comments about MJ.  The smart alecky and the kick *** chicks are way overdone.  Its become cliche.  The girls I know are nice and intelligent.  I loved the movie-maybe the best one yet.  Dr Strange could have been a bit smarter tho.  Like I'm no master of the mistic river or anything but the first thing out of my mouth would have been

Reveal hidden contents

"Is there anyone you DONT want to forget you are spider man?  Also I would have addressed the ok everyone forgets but wut about all the newspapers and stuff?

Hide contents

Not one dimensional at all.  She was smart - MIT shoe-in, funny, witty, strong, loving and lovable.  How many dimensions are required? 

Spoiler

And the easy way to fix everything was to cast a spell that caused everyone to forget what Mysterio's last words were.

On 12/23/2021 at 4:09 PM, KPR Comics said:

Not one dimensional at all.  She was smart - MIT shoe-in, funny, witty, strong, loving and lovable.  How many dimensions are required? 

Hide contents

And the easy way to fix everything was to cast a spell that caused everyone to forget what Mysterio's last words were.

Spoiler

Nope- all the newspapers would still exist-need to get rid of em.

On 12/23/2021 at 4:09 PM, KPR Comics said:

The point is-its overdone.  every woman in these type movies is a clone-the funny, witty, strong, loving and lovable chick.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, kav said:

The point is-its overdone.  every woman in these type movies is a clone-the funny, witty, strong, loving and lovable chick.

She was not lovable. 

On 12/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, D84 said:

She was not lovable. 

agree 100%  what she was was the standard annoying smart aleck chick.  Just like awkwafina in the execrable shang chi and so many other movies.    I was just using KPR's view of her to rebut his claim.
Not lovable.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, kav said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

The other thing I want them to stop doing (it was not really done here)is writing strong woman as basically almost men.