• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

However much money any movie made or would have made in China Brazil or Nigeria or how many people in those countries went to their theaters has zero effect on the U.S. movie theater industry.

So, the reason US movie companies have been trying to cater to the Chinese audience so aggressively over the last 5 to 10 years is so the Chinese theaters and government can make money on US films and not the company that made the movie.  The market is not really important.  Ok got it!!!!! :tonofbricks:

We saw it last night and it was great!  Lots of cheers and clapping throughout the flick and everyone looked like they were excited to talk about it in the lobby.  I don't have any complaints and it definetely ranks up there as the best flick I've seen in awhile.  I don't usually rush out to watch a movie for a second time but this one will have to be re-watched.  A - grade from me.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, drotto said:

So, the reason US movie companies have been trying to cater to the Chinese audience so aggressively over the last 5 to 10 years is so the Chinese theaters and government can make money on US films and not the company that made the movie.  The market is not really important.  Ok got it!!!!! :tonofbricks:

Seriously.  I don't think there's much question that whether or not a US movie gets made at all includes a calculus of how it will do in China.  A direct and significant impact on the US movie theater industry, which must have content to exist.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:22 PM, MattTheDuck said:

At a guess, I would say my showing was about 70 percent full - this was at 11:00 am yesterday (Saturday).  So respectable given day and time.  An enthusiastic crowd, but not over the top.

My crowd broke out into out right cheers at least 4 times during the movie.  This was the best comic movie I have seen since Infinity War.  9/10.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, drotto said:

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

Agreed, its such a tired stance. At this point, you can pick and choose which movie you preferred to say saved US theaters and find articles to back up your position. Including theater CEO tweets for several of them. No Time to Die, Shang Chi, Godzilla VS Kong, A Quiet Place 2, F9 and Venom. The logical conclusion is no single movie saved the theaters and it just came down to a combination of all those films starting with A Quiet Place II way back in May. Add in a population getting bored and wanting to venture out and the restrictions gradually loosening up. But to think a movie that was released three months ago single handedly saved the industry is some deeply flawed fanboy logic. Like carrying the ball into the end zone without a team to block for you. 

On 11/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I have a feeling they may even have Andrew Garfield swing in to save her in the end to undo the painful experience he went through in his own universe.

Such a shame this never happened

:shiftyeyes:

On 12/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, The Meta said:

I liked Age of Ultron

James Spader did a very good job 

I don't like it very much... BUT I find it to be EXTREMELY rewatchable. Wanna chuck on a film while you're working? AoU is perfect. Just wanna watch a one-off fun super-hero popcorn romp? AoU. 

It's a strangely likeable film that's just not that great. 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:21 AM, ▫️ said:

Agreed, its such a tired stance. At this point, you can pick and choose which movie you preferred to say saved US theaters and find articles to back up your position. Including theater CEO tweets for several of them. No Time to Die, Shang Chi, Godzilla VS Kong, A Quiet Place 2, F9 and Venom. The logical conclusion is no single movie saved the theaters and it just came down to a combination of all those films starting with A Quiet Place II way back in May. Add in a population getting bored and wanting to venture out and the restrictions gradually loosening up. But to think a movie that was released three months ago single handedly saved the industry is some deeply flawed fanboy logic. Like carrying the ball into the end zone without a team to block for you. 

This is the exact argument I have been trying for months. Saving theaters is a team effort.  Even a movie like NWH, can not save theaters if films in the coming years do not make money.  Even before the pandemic,  people have been arguing that theaters have been relying to heavily on the block buster.  It looks like despite the last two years, this has not changed.

Big event films will continue to sell movie tickets,  while smaller films move more and more to streaming and paid online. 

I thought I could hold out a week to see this in theatres.

I’m sitting by a pool in Puerto Vallarta looking at movie times. They have a theatre just down the street that has English with sub titles…