• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2021 at 6:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Saw it again today.  11:50 am showing.  Good crowd.  Probably mostly 2nd or more timers as there was almost no clapping or cheering, except a little when the second guy shows up at grandmas.

check for the posters!  have someone create distraction!

On 12/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, drotto said:

I also dislike the current idea that everyone needs to see themselves in a character in every property in order to like or relate to that property. Good characters are interesting and relatable to everyone, regardless on what superficial traits they posses. Personally, Kitty, Rogue, and Nightcrawler has always been my favorite X-Men, and Wonder Woman is a far more interesting to me then Superman.  These characters are vastly different from RL me, than countless other comic characters, and those differences have never stopped them from being relatable and interesting to me. 

Well said. I think the idea of representation in order to relate is ridiculous. My first “hero” growing up in comics was black. I didn’t need any similar characteristics or qualities to love this character. I enjoyed our differences. My next “hero” soon after was white. This guy was on a tv series. I am neither black nor white. But I don’t fault those who seek out representation in their own race if they need or prefer that. It’s all entertainment and we all want to be entertained. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:40 AM, ▫️ said:

Are you lost?

No, I just don't let a bunch of critics or other groupthink group decide what I like or don't like.

With that, in discussion groups like these, I don't just say I hate something or love something because I'm just agreeing with the herd. I've posted why I say Eternals is a commendable film and why I say critics were wrong about the movie.

Beginning with Iron Man, Kevin Feige and Robert Downey Jr implicitly stated what they were doing with the MCU, making movies about the comic book character and not dealing with deep dark academic metaphorical mumbo jumbo the way Christopher Nolan was doing with Dark Knight. And for the most part, that's what the MCU films have been, movies that put the comic book hero first (and notably, not the villain). MCU movies don't deal with deep metaphors or high ideals (beyond doing the right thing).

Eternals, I believe, is the first MCU film that intentionally deals with higher ideals beyond the hero journey and tackles the higher idea of our shared humanity and what it means to be a human being as these Eternals have strived to understand and live with the Terrans they've become attached to over thousands of years. For me, someone who appreciates movies that Martin Scorsese calls "real cinema", Eternals does indeed play in the arena of "real cinema" and that makes it unique in the MCU pantheon. Unfortunately, because critics don't have a clue when it comes to critiquing comic book movies and most fans like yourself probably just go along with what the masses are saying because many can't think for themselves, Eternals may be the only one of its kind in the MCU and Marvel will probably go back to making its regular super-hero fare, which is also fine I suppose. I guess comic book movies should know their place, right?

On 1/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

No, I just don't let a bunch of critics or other groupthink group decide what I like or don't like.

With that, in discussion groups like these, I don't just say I hate something or love something because I'm just agreeing with the herd. I've posted why I say Eternals is a commendable film and why I say critics were wrong about the movie.

Beginning with Iron Man, Kevin Feige and Robert Downey Jr implicitly stated what they were doing with the MCU, making movies about the comic book character and not dealing with deep dark academic metaphorical mumbo jumbo the way Christopher Nolan was doing with Dark Knight. And for the most part, that's what the MCU films have been, movies that put the comic book hero first (and notably, not the villain). MCU movies don't deal with deep metaphors or high ideals (beyond doing the right thing).

Eternals, I believe, is the first MCU film that intentionally deals with higher ideals beyond the hero journey and tackles the higher idea of our shared humanity and what it means to be a human being as these Eternals have strived to understand and live with the Terrans they've become attached to over thousands of years. For me, someone who appreciates movies that Martin Scorsese calls "real cinema", Eternals does indeed play in the arena of "real cinema" and that makes it unique in the MCU pantheon. Unfortunately, because critics don't have a clue when it comes to critiquing comic book movies and most fans like yourself probably just go along with what the masses are saying because many can't think for themselves, Eternals may be the only one of its kind in the MCU and Marvel will probably go back to making its regular super-hero fare, which is also fine I suppose. I guess comic book movies should know their place, right?

I don’t know where ALL that came from. I meant, are you lost because you said you were in the Eternals thread when you are actually in the Spider-Man thread. Do you have that response saved for a copy/paste?

On 1/3/2022 at 5:17 AM, ▫️ said:

Why would Marvel want this tired character back? They don’t need him.

Spider-Man is the most popular comic book character on the planet and now dwarfs Batman and Superman in popularity.

But when it comes to telling the story of the Avengers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel didn't need Spider-Man and still doesn't. 

Look at Spider-Man's Avengers appearances outside of the Home Trilogy. From Civil War to Endgame, the only purpose Peter Parker served was for Tony Stark to have someone to care about.

The Spider-Man Home Trilogy films have zero effect on the greater MCU, but the other MCU films affect the Spider-Man movies. 

Marvel wants Spider-Man because he's the most popular super-hero on the planet and he brings in the fans. But when it comes to telling the story of the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy, which is what the MCU has been about so far, Marvel has never really needed him and still doesn't.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, ▫️ said:

I don’t know where ALL that came from. I meant, are you lost because you said you were in the Eternals thread when you are actually in the Spider-Man thread. Do you have that response saved for a copy/paste?

Oh okay. Fair point. Yes, I might have been lost when I made that older post.