• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, drotto said:

Wish I could find the study, but one I saw recently came to this exact conclusion. People on bith sides of the spectrum want less politics in entertainment.   In fact, many are saying it is turning them to many properties. 

I dont want ANY politics in my movies-not the stuff I agree with, not the stuff I disagree with-nothing.  It doesnt belong, kills the story.  Stop killing stories, hollywood.

On 12/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, kav said:

I dont want ANY politics in my movies-not the stuff I agree with, not the stuff I disagree with-nothing.  It doesnt belong, kills the story.  Stop killing stories, hollywood.

I think a lot of people don’t mind subtext but it’s the hit over thread stuff that’s a turn off. 

On 12/25/2021 at 1:12 PM, topofthetotem said:

I think a lot of people don’t mind subtext but it’s the hit over thread stuff that’s a turn off. 

Plus when they do it the characters are boring.  Like they'll throw in trans characters just to be super awesome but the characters have no depth.  Trans people are interesting too-dont just make em some cliche to fill a quota.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:12 PM, topofthetotem said:

Even with Disney animation-to-live films the themes forced on you gets old. Yet they want to use any method to make everyone feel included. Even if they are beating you over the head with the messaging.

On 12/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, Bosco685 said:

Even with Disney animation-to-live films the themes forced on you gets old. Yet they want to use any method to make everyone feel included. Even if they are beating you over the head with the messaging.

If your most interesting characteristic is a trait you were born with and is beyond your control,  you are inherently boring in life and in entertainment. 

On 12/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, kav said:

Some of the greatest films ever made have contained strong social messages i.e. Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life or John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath. Parasite, last year's Best Picture winner was about how capitalism makes slaves of the have-nots.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Some of the greatest films ever made have contained strong social messages i.e. Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life or John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath. Parasite, last year's Best Picture winner was about how capitalism makes slaves of the have-nots.

every movie should have some message.  Its called the 'theme' in scriptwriting-this is not what I'm talking about here.  The only exceptions are superhero and james bond type movies where the protagonist does not experience change.
@CAHokie @Bosco685

On 12/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, kav said:

every movie should have some message.  Its called the 'theme' in scriptwriting-this is not what I'm talking about here.  The only exceptions are superhero and james bond type movies where the protagonist does not experience change.
@CAHokie @Bosco685

So what are you talking about then? Canst thou provideth an example?

On 12/25/2021 at 4:28 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

So what are you talking about then? Canst thou provideth an example?

Like the movie groundhog day.  The theme was 'be a good person'.  He was a selfish, rude individual.  He lived the same day for about 500 years-being selfish then one by one he started caring about others.  He wanted to go to bed with the one woman who wouldnt-and fell in love with her.  Only when he gave up on that too, and spent every day helping others and making them feel good did he win the woman and finally move on from the one day he was stuck in.

Edited by kav

On 12/25/2021 at 6:14 PM, drotto said:

If your most interesting characteristic is a trait you were born with and is beyond your control,  you are inherently boring in life and in entertainment. 

The brother in Jungle Cruise was so over-the-top Disney modern theme now rather than let his character play out they assumed the audience was going to be too ignorant to understand his preferences. So they had to have Dwayne Johnson sit there and repeat the line again to drive home the point he passed up marrying three ladies that proposed to him FOR A REASON.

It was so obvious what they were doing. But the creators did it in such a ham-handed way it actually was silly.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, kav said:

Like the movie groundhog day.  The theme was 'become a good person'.  He was a selfish, rude individual.  He lived the same day for about 500 years-being selfish then one by one he started caring about others.  He wanted to go to bed with the one woman who wouldnt-and fell in love with her.  Only when he gave up on that too, and spent every day helping others and making them feel good did he win the woman and finally move on from the one day he was stuck in.

I meant your complaint of politics in movies. What politics and do you have an example?

On 12/25/2021 at 4:35 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I meant your complaint of politics in movies. What politics and do you have an example?

Oh no I cannot do that-I would get a strike.  "Pandering" is all I can say about that.  

On 12/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, kav said:

@CAHokie @Bosco685

I have not read this thread but it is very common for movies to have political messaging. Some are in your face and obvious. Others are more subtle, like the use of an LAPD Officer as the bad guy in T2 or the messaging in Planet of the Apes.

I am not a fan of political messaging (either side), and being Hollywood, there is no secret which way it will most often be slanted. 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, CAHokie said:

I have not read this thread but it is very common for movies to have political messaging. Some are in your face and obvious. Others are more subtle, like the use of an LAPD Officer as the bad guy in T2 or the messaging in Planet of the Apes.

I am not a fan of political messaging (either side), and being Hollywood, there is no secret which way it will most often be slanted. 

I disagree and have read most everything abt T2-Cameron chose an LAPD officer as a stark contrast to a bad guy dressed as a good guy.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, kav said:

I disagree and have read most everything abt T2-Cameron chose an LAPD officer as a stark contrast to a bad guy dressed as a good guy.

Cameron’s quote on why he chose a cop as a T-1000.

“Cops think all non-cops as less than they are, stupid, weak, and evil. They dehumanize the people they are sworn to protect and desensitize themselves in order to do that job."

On 12/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, CAHokie said:

Cameron’s quote on why he chose a cop as a T-1000.

“Cops think all non-cops as less than they are, stupid, weak, and evil. They dehumanize the people they are sworn to protect and desensitize themselves in order to do that job."

he only said this in 2020-virtue signalling.  In all past books about the film, I dont recall that ever being said.

Edited by kav

On 12/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, kav said:

he only said this in 2020-virtue signalling.  In all past books about the film, he said the opposite.

So he was lying then or lying now? 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, CAHokie said:

He only started saying that in 2020.  You cannot find it in any of the books about the film.  

On 12/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, CAHokie said:

Even if he was trying to make some statement that authority is bad, and authority figures carrying guns are bad it was a pretty stupid attempt-the resistance is led by authority figure john connor, and has generals and whatnot-and they carry guns.