• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Kids are so beyond being weirded out about middle fingers these days...yes, you are definitely out of the loop... by a good 40 years (after Goonies)

Maybe they should be weirded out.. Is it a good thing to lower standards? 

Personally, there are very few curses that are news to me, but I understood before I learned them that it was not appropriate to use them in certain places.   There is a reason it's difficult to teach in elementary school.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:31 PM, skypinkblu said:

Maybe they should be weirded out.. Is it a good thing to lower standards? 

Personally, there are very few curses that are news to me, but I understood before I learned them that it was not appropriate to use them in certain places.   There is a reason it's difficult to teach in elementary school.

Well, context IS important ,..as you imply..but in order to shield a child from curse words, middle fingers etc you would have to lock that child up in their room 24/7...what's missing from your analysis is how the child filters what they hear and see...and they depend on the most influential for this..which is their parents. So, in the REAL world, which I live in....on any given day a child is going to be exposed to a great deal of profanities and disturbed messages..it is up to the parents/ teachers to guide their young minds and put context to those messages..and thus, impart the appropriate imprint in their behavior. Kudos to you for being able to parse those messages....hmm, I wonder if other kids have that ability ??? 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, skypinkblu said:

I am sure I am older than you...and grew up in a time when the "real world" was a little more polite. Obviously, I prefer that time. 

Yes, there are lots of parents who can guide young minds, but it might be a little easier if we had programing more available to help.  There are also of course many parents who don't know enough to tell the difference ...I don't mean you, I'm sure you do. But the more it's out there, the more kids think answering F to a teacher or other adult is perfectly normal.  Most of my work experience was dealing with people who lost their jobs, saying whatever pops out of someone's mouth to an employer is not always helpful.

I usually save my cursing for driving ;) and one friend who laughs whenever I prove I do know the words. @DR.X

We see the world thru an anecdotal lens...unfortunate, dismissive and unrepresentative of the whole...nothing to see here 

I would be a lot more concerned about social media influencing kids than anything in the movies/tv, since social media is more guardian/peer to peer interaction

Edited by Ed Hanes

We watched the show Friday night. Although I'm a lifelong comics fan, I don't know that I've ever actually read a She-Hulk comic. The character never appealed to me, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of the regular Hulk either. Just a corner of the Marvel Universe that never spoke to me much. So, I have no attachment to the character to color my impressions. As for my wife, she has never read a comic at all, as far as I know, and knows nothing about the character. She is a fan of the MCU, and has seen all of the various movies and shows.

Her review: "I liked it! It was cute!" So, there you go. She's looking forward to more. Her only concern? You guessed it: "Why does her hair get longer when she changes???" That really bothered her for some reason ha My answer? "It's comics."

My review: "Eh." it was fine. Then again, I think most of the MCU stuff is fine. I think any strong objection I had to this show would be in regard to the format. It felt very "sitcom" to me, and I'm not a fan of sitcoms, at least not many from the last 20 years+.  The format just doesn't work for me, and I don't find them funny. So, that was a strike against. I do like Tatiana Maslany, I think she's obviously hugely talented, and an appealing presence. So, there's reason to be hopeful, and I'm sure we'll be watching the whole thing. Otherwise, one ep in, I don't find it any more or less enjoyable that Ms Marvel, or Loki, or any of the rest of these shows which I barely remember already. But I definitely didn't find it objectionably bad, anymore than I found it grippingly excellent. It just felt like what it is: more Disney content from the Disney Content Mill.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:40 AM, F For Fake said:

We watched the show Friday night. Although I'm a lifelong comics fan, I don't know that I've ever actually read a She-Hulk comic. The character never appealed to me, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of the regular Hulk either. Just a corner of the Marvel Universe that never spoke to me much. So, I have no attachment to the character to color my impressions. As for my wife, she has never read a comic at all, as far as I know, and knows nothing about the character. She is a fan of the MCU, and has seen all of the various movies and shows.

Her review: "I liked it! It was cute!" So, there you go. She's looking forward to more. Her only concern? You guessed it: "Why does her hair get longer when she changes???" That really bothered her for some reason ha My answer? "It's comics."

My review: "Eh." it was fine. Then again, I think most of the MCU stuff is fine. I think any strong objection I had to this show would be in regard to the format. It felt very "sitcom" to me, and I'm not a fan of sitcoms, at least not many from the last 20 years+.  The format just doesn't work for me, and I don't find them funny. So, that was a strike against. I do like Tatiana Maslany, I think she's obviously hugely talented, and an appealing presence. So, there's reason to be hopeful, and I'm sure we'll be watching the whole thing. Otherwise, one ep in, I don't find it any more or less enjoyable that Ms Marvel, or Loki, or any of the rest of these shows which I barely remember already. But I definitely didn't find it objectionably bad, anymore than I found it grippingly excellent. It just felt like what it is: more Disney content from the Disney Content Mill.

I like sitcoms myself but yeah, I agree with your synopsis...nothing really to write home about...not bad , not great...I give it an "Eh" too

On 8/19/2022 at 4:30 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Always Angry GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Even faster- When Banner said he was tired of the struggle and pulled the trigger, and "the green-guy" spit out the bullet.

Of course, the daily fear of destroying entire cities is nothing compared to being catcalled.

And growing up with an abusive father is a picnic compared to being patronized by men. 

On 8/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

Interesting, as this is exactly what I didn't like. I find this attitude very prevalent in female characters these days and I would love to see some humility in a character. Maybe that will be her character arc, for now she is just another Rey in Star Wars, and Captain Marvel.

+1

She's flawless, especially compared to Bruce. She can already do it all. Where is any character growth supposed to come from- The one-night stand we see in the trailers?

Should character growth even be expected? 

On 8/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, MR SigS said:

+1

She's flawless, especially compared to Bruce. She can already do it all. Where is any character growth supposed to come from- The one-night stand we see in the trailers?

Agreed, and episode 2 will be telling. She is better than Bruce and actually said that.

Edited by Artboy99

On 8/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, MR SigS said:

+1

I did not get that she was flawless (not enough information)...all I got was that she wont have the same trials and tribulations as Bruce and therefore had nothing to learn from Bruce...I think the creators wanted to lay the foundation that this character was going to be different than The Hulk and wanted to do it very quickly..everything else is just pure speculation. The first episode seemed more like a bait and hook episode..make it light and soft, throw in a bunch of humor.. maybe she goes darker , more complicated...maybe her self assuredness is knocked down quite a bit and she grows from that. There is a lot they can do...but who knows, it's Disney..could turn out to be crap

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/23/2022 at 12:49 AM, Ed Hanes said:

...maybe she goes darker , more complicated...maybe her self assuredness is knocked down quite a bit and she grows from that. There is a lot they can do...but who knows, it's Disney..could turn out to be crap

Do you really think that Disney/Marvel is going to do this? It seems like a rhetorical question based on the bold.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:11 AM, drotto said:

Add to that the anger of having the entire US military aimed at you, for something that is not your fault.

Losing the person that can calm you, when she dies to save the universe.

Twice putting yourself in self isolation, because if you ever fully lose control people will die.

Becoming a rage monster and losing your humanity. 

Struggling for years to integrate your personality. 

Bruce is a unquestioned expert in learning to control anger. So the problem here is her dialog "infantly more qualified."  Jennifer, has clearly been faced with challenges and situations which anger her (understandably so), and great that she has learned restraint. Her experiences as presented are not remotely on the level of what Bruce has overcome. 

"But Wanda suffered the most!"

:nyah:

On 8/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

"But Wanda suffered the most!"

:nyah:

Arguably,  yes she did, but it caused her a full mental breakdown. Bruce was able overcome all this, without almost causing a universe ending event.

Edited by drotto

On 8/23/2022 at 8:27 AM, drotto said:

Arguably,  yes she did, but it caused her a full mental breakdown. Bruce was able overcome all this, without almost causing a universe ending event.

More than Thor??

1. Mother murdered
  2. Father dead
  3. Asgard destroyed
  4. Step-brother murdered (yes yes - Multiverse: I know)
  5. Bulk of his people killed
  6. Thor's eye taken (I know - Rocket fixed this)
  7. Infinity Conez ice cream shop to remind him of the fun times

But will Wanda get her imaginary kids?

On 8/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

More than Thor??

1. Mother murdered
  2. Father dead
  3. Asgard destroyed
  4. Step-brother murdered (yes yes - Multiverse: I know)
  5. Bulk of his people killed
  6. Thor's eye taken (I know - Rocket fixed this)
  7. Infinity Conez ice cream shop to remind him of the fun times

But will Wanda get her imaginary kids?

All the OG avengers went through a ton of crap.  All of them have more reasons to be angry then Jennifer.

Edited by drotto