• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, D84 said:

From the CNN review:

"Ironically, the most buzzed-about element in advance of the premiere -- how the computer-generated title character looks -- is the least of the show's worries."

'She-Hulk' is big and colorful, but the Marvel comedy is too weak to be a smash

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/entertainment/she-hulk-review/index.html

Wait!!!!  

I was told yesterday, repeatedly,  it was the best MCU show yet.

Another review saying it is not the best MCU shoe ever?  My MCU world view is crumbling. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-is-marvel-trash-at-its-most-offensive-review

Disney, I am part of your core audience.  I saw every movie you release on opening weekend for over 10 years.  I watch the first 3 D+ shows you put out, despirate for the next episode. Avengers made me feel like my every comic dream had finally been realized on film.  But, then you started losing me, I think I realized it about 1/2 through Loki (with the doubt forming during FaWS. I honestly liked 80% of WandaVison). I want that desire to come back. I want the unbridled, child like awe back. I want the fun back. Where did it go?

On 8/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, drotto said:

Disney, I am part of your core audience.  I saw every movie you release on opening weekend for over 10 years.  I watch the first 3 D+ shows you put out, despirate for the next episode. Avengers made me feel like my every comic dream had finally been realized on film.  But, then you started losing me, I think I realized it about 1/2 through Loki (with the doubt forming during FaWS. I honestly liked 80% of WandaVison). I want that desire to come back. I want the unbridled, child like awe back. I want the fun back. Where did it go?

to be fair you were part of the marvel audience, that got absorbed by disney when they released their movies. this is disney not marvel. it was always going to evolve into this

look at their entertainment lineup on their channel (exclude the fox and netflix content) it's the same family crap in different colors and sounds, this is what this will slowly become

same with star wars

On 8/17/2022 at 5:02 PM, jsilverjanet said:

to be fair you were part of the marvel audience, that got absorbed by disney when they released their movies. this is disney not marvel. it was always going to evolve into this

look at their entertainment lineup on their channel (exclude the fox and netflix content) it's the same family crap in different colors and sounds, this is what this will slowly become

same with star wars

Again, I disagree.  Disney did not change the formula much till After Endgame. Yes, some elements were present and seeping in, but the core remained solid. If they had stayed with the Phase 3 approach, things would be more solid now. I know they are always searching for a new and different audience.  I am not sure that audience actually exists, and the existing audience is massive and diverse already.  At least not one that is going to watch everything on faith alone.  Not one that is going ro buy all the toys and merchandise. Not one that will survive as a fandom for decades.

I know this is a conscious decision on Disney's part, but if the current  trends continue the MCU is not going to fail, but it will fade away over then next 5 to 10 years.  

On 8/16/2022 at 2:19 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I don't know if it is or not, just spelling out what many fail to see what their strategy is

I suspect a company like Disney won't give up that easily. They want that market, it's an untapped market. They will keep trying until they find the formula that works.

As far as losing the audience, I honestly think that was going to happen. It always happens. People move on to the next thing. Sure the quality/content has probably made it easier for some (see above) to move on faster, but it is bound to happen. There has been a saturation of content in the past 2-3 years. The novelty has worn off.

This show is clearly not aimed towards the traditional comic book audience and definitely not to most of the boardies here. It's geared towards a demographic that hasn't been served yet by the MCU; what that is I'm not sure. I did find it mostly enjoyable and there were several funny moments. I'd give it a B. I'm guessing that won't be a popular opinion here, but I also like Ms. Marvel. Actually, I liked all of Phase 4 Disney+ shows except for the ending of Wandavision, and I absolutely hate Kathryn Hahn/ Agatha. For the most part, they're all wins. 

On 8/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, drotto said:

Wow, this review is pretty scathing, and from a source that is usually MCU friendly.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-is-marvel-trash-at-its-most-offensive-review

After 4 episodes of that, I wouldn't even be interested in seeing what the rest does.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:25 AM, Lpgk said:

This show is clearly not aimed towards the traditional comic book audience and definitely not to most of the boardies here. It's geared towards a demographic that hasn't been served yet by the MCU; what that is I'm not sure. I did find it mostly enjoyable and there were several funny moments. I'd give it a B. I'm guessing that won't be a popular opinion here, but I also like Ms. Marvel. Actually, I liked all of Phase 4 Disney+ shows except for the ending of Wandavision, and I absolutely hate Kathryn Hahn/ Agatha. For the most part, they're all wins. 

just watched it and it's quite enjoyable

watched the first episode this morning, and it was exactly what I expected: light and fluffy.

Spoiler

She-Hulk's origin is as we see in the trailers: car crash, Jen crawls from the wreck and saves Bruce by pulling him out of the car. Why he didn't hulk out during the crash is explained by some device he is wearing that keeps him in human form. Bruce is bleeding and his blood drops into Jen's cut arm and she instantly becomes She-Hulk! Literally right then.

Bruce then begins to teach Jen about being a Hulk, and we have seen all of that in trailers as well. They are at some very isolated bar in New Mexico built by Tony and Bruce that also has an underground lab type area for study. She actually says she is better than Bruce verbally in addition to having many scenes where we are shown that she is better ( again already in the trailers). One moment Bruce throws a rock far further than She-Hulk and she responds with the typical dialogue "oh yeah, you are great look at you, wow".meh

***I forgot about the drinking scene! They have a pile of drinks in the bar and Hulk and She-Hulk have a "burp-off". The burping scene wasn't funny. (shrug)

After awhile of this training stuff Jen decides to go back to her life and her work and during a court case scene Titania shows up by busting through the wall but we are given no context as to why she is there and Jen is encouraged by her paralegal friend (who is aware she is now a Hulk) to take on Titania. Jen takes off her dress shows, states she likes her outfit and turns into She-Hulk in front of everyone completing the public reveal. The "fight" lasts literally 10 seconds. Titania throws a desk caught by She-Hulk, Titania then lunges at She-Hulk and Titania is beaten by a single punch thrown by She-Hulk. Jen then straightens up her ripped up outfit, puts on her dress shoes again and says she will begin her closing statement. Roll credits. 

By the way, the "anti-men" comment by the writer does appear in the show. The male lawyer colleague makes sure he tells Jen he is better than she is in every scene we see him. Another scene has 3 men aggressively catcall Jen as she walks from a bar she visits after work, the very stereotypical "hey baby, want to have a good time" type of stuff. It is unfortunate that this is how the writer views men through her "female lens". :(

If you have watched the trailers you have already seen nearly the entire first episode. 

The show plays very much like an episode of Ally McBeal meets Sex In The City if you ever watched those shows, filled with the same kind of dialogue. 

I am at 4/10 because it isn't "must see TV" and somewhat forgettable because as of this writing I can't really come up with what I liked about the show and that is a travesty.

Edited by Artboy99