• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 6:12 AM, TupennyConan said:

Jen didn't want to be a paragon. She didn't want to be a saintly hero like Cap. She's an average gal, not much of a lawyer, out looking for love. She's lonely. 

This show was about Jen's dull dating life & how She-Hulk changes it, for better or worse.

This show was about a woman dating, not beat em ups. With the word slut at the end of E8, it set-up those fellas for critique who prefer the reverse. It set-up this thread. That was pretty clever.

Action isn't good & healthy in & of itself. Action isn't good, per se.

Action means both sex or sex to excess & beat em ups - violence.

How many nameless, faceless folks died from all the violence in the MCU? Folks love Winter Soldier. Go back & watch it with this question in mind. Then ask yourself: might the world have been a bit better if Cap had a gf? Or if threads like this rejected the excess action?

you saw the two pics of caps backside too huh

On 10/7/2022 at 6:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Okay. I'll play. This is just more of your reaction and wall of words when you rush to 'defend' the rights of women everywhere when someone says something even close to the opposite of MCU productions being amazing.

And now because I posted I finally enjoyed an episode of She-Hulk but have concerns how the main female character is portrayed I am:

1. Supporting She-Hulk being harassed because she was asking for it due to her behavior
  2. I uphold dated sexual expectations
  3. Implied that I supported men can use women but women can't use men
  4. I cannot craft a legible statement nor outline a credible counterpoint

Clearly this must be another MCU thread where folks are so protective of THEIR MARVEL anyone that says something different must be group-attacked and run off. Healthy thinking.

It clearly is inconsistent. It conveys throughout how all men are about is using the degrading women. Yet then portrays a woman demanding and frustrated she is not seen as respectable and a credible professional yet then put her in multiple scenarios to detract from her decisions and character. But I am definitely not going back to those 7 episodes to prove my case. It is clear even here fellow comic book fans are frustrated with Phase IV and parts of this show. It has nothing to do with a misogynistic mindset nor sexism.

Another clear example of someone in this thread attempting to portray another board member as a sexist. Nowhere in this thread did I even convey women are objects to be sexualized. Yet here it is where it is assumed that is my thinking by implying I am okay with this concept. That is how troublesome this fanatical support of anything MCU can be when a few try to characterize fellow board members like this to drive them down just to make a point only they get it and anyone else that doesn't are THOSE BAD PEOPLE. The same debate approach you used with Capra because he is hardcore against the portrayal of Captain Marvel.

I can see how you gravitate toward the stereotype men must be of the mindset shown here even nowadays in general and you are their cheerleader and official spokesperson. Yet the show takes a hard swipe at men in general, yet in its own writing it shows how there are many men in support of women being treated as equal. Even with Episode 7 when Jen visits Emil Blonsky at his retreat, the all-male residents end up circling around her to provide support and convince her that she should have more self-respect. But that is the rarity of a theme on this show with men actively and without an underlining motivation being there to help fellow female human being getting through life. So attempting to make it out FINALLY a show is calling out men this hardcore is reasonable is blurring the lines of reality.

Again, more hyperbole to make it out like anyone not satisfied with this show's portrayal of Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk then they must be in support of objectifying women.

So talking to the audience so they are clear on her inner thoughts of wanting a guy sexually is being respectful because she doesn't share it with her fellow characters directly? Since James Bond was used before as a comparison (how? does that matter in a 'I'm going to prove your mind is warped' debate?). So if he all of a sudden steps back from a scene he is in and turns to the audience with "I'm going to ring her bells tonight - hubba hubba" that would be respectful because he isn't it saying to the character in question. It's just between us in the audience and Bond. Got it!

Ahhh. But you see. Even this it was a horrific situation meant to destroy her character, it was also done knowing it could force her into a rage reaction fitting the old stereotype women are just a ball of emotions and the men must be there to save the little ladies from themselves. So the Intelligencia - most probably being of that old-school and warped mindset - got the reaction they craved in front of Jen's fellow professionals and the Media.

That's why her friends around her were begging not do what she was about to do (and did). So I guess you were okay with her being put into that situation.

More hyperbole so as to convey you are the champion female rights. Nobody here even conveyed support for that video and its intent to discredit a professional woman (or any woman for that matter). But you'll insert it in so as to make this about misogyny and sexism again.

Your case you just rested (nice try as you attempt to associate yourself with She-Hulk's legal side) has many holes and obvious flaws noted above. Including your attempt to convey anyone not supporting this show must be against female comic book characters. It's a rinse-and-repeat of the same themes used in Captain Marvel's move defense. Just some scenarios and names changed.

Uh-huh.

Or "Yeah I like the show too - get 'em!"

Sorry folks. I love being on here and chatting comic book shows and movies. But some of you then want to make it about the obvious - either people support what you support or they are not of this forum. But then want to also tell me how I am destroying this portion of the boards. You know - the one I have kept fed with a steady stream of MCU, DC, Fox Marvel, Sony Marvel and many other studios without trying to allow bias to cloud my initial support before their release.

I definitely don't recognize some of you nowadays.

Dang you old people and your logic.  It's 2022 we're all about irrational emotions now. 

On 10/7/2022 at 5:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

Are you kidding? Don't you know I am all for objectifying women and if they get out of line dressing in an attractive way and catcalls happen then "They were asking for it"?

(:

Al Bosco in the house.

AL.jpg.b04f1d6c7625b95407d25311d3660fa2.jpg

I'm really trying to not read into the whole cultural/societal ramifications and philosophies of the show. I'm just enjoying the writers/directors/producers idea of what they want to make the show about. Sure, it bounces around and is a little inconsistent, but for me - that feels like an older comic book way of storyline. Rather than a long story arc, we're getting individual issues in each episode.

I don't think the people behind the show thought this much about the message (or any show, for that matter) - I think fans traditionally try to divine something that is not likely there. I can tell you from personal artistic experiences that creativity doesn't flow out of you with such inherent detail - the deep, insightful explanation that comes after the creation is a mix of external interpretations from others and time to reflect on your marketing tactics while sitting on the toilet.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now, back reality.

The writers attached to this show unfortunately are taking this character for an inconsistent ride. And that is not about comedy or deviating from the 'MCU formula'. It's just all over the place.

"scatter-brained" is the word. 

xD

Totally missed this, but perhaps the only MCU/DC YouTuber I'm actively subscribed to and found to have some legit decent takes on the super-hero genre as a whole made a She-Hulk video and it's pretty spot on (Like him I also just assumed the booze thing was due to her transforming back to Jen before her hulk body could metabolize the alcohol, leaving little Jen stomach filled with a few rounds of hulk sized drinks. I found it clear but I guess it wasn't as clearly stated as I thought).

On 10/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I would have said “Take it easy son it’s just a meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky.”

On 10/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, topofthetotem said:

I would have said “Take it easy son it’s just a meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky.”

are you a scientist?

On 10/7/2022 at 3:30 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 10/6/2022 at 10:56 PM, PovertyRow said:

I am having a difficult time even recognizing some boardies here. And for other boardies my respect has dramatically increased. Not that my respect really means anything.

Expand  

Uh-huh.

Dang I was not thinking of your posts or including you in the unrecognizable boardies. Some of our opinions differ and some align. That makes for conversation. Being involved in film for a few years (was an AP, wrote for a film magazine and was sometimes consulted by writers of film books) your contributions to the board’s Movie/TV threads are invaluable.

As far as my using  misogynist, I was looking for an antonym to feminist and that was the one that came up. Felt it was too negative but better than chauvinist. Still dislike it but made me realize a true antonym does not exist, I guess because it is the norm already.

It is interesting to see similar kinds of backlash in the Cap Marvel thread, probably because so many “men” were offended by Brie and it became contagious.

One disturbing thing for me is I am getting increasingly bored with the MCU after Phase 1. Some have been good and some disappointing and I STILL cannot get past the halfway mark of BLACK WIDOW, despite loving her in the Avengers movies (yes I am capable of disliking female led comic book films/shows. Could not get into the current Ms Marvel show. Kept getting CW flashbacks. Could not get into that Hawkeye series despite my really enjoying THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN. For years I have been posting they should do a Doc Strange film and I thought the first was a mess despite being a Doc fan and the second far superior. Deadpool 2 was kind of ‘meh’ for me in comparison to 1, which I rank in my top five favorites. For me She-Hulk is just a real joy to watch. It is funny, dialogue is snappy, love Jen’s 4th Wall breaks. IS it sometimes over the top or in your face with a message? Yeah, but at least for me it gives me something to think about.

People obviously have different tastes. It is a sad thing when that results in conflict.