• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in your Collection - Moderns ONLY
20 20

1,961 posts in this topic

Rolling on with the Hobgoblin collection!  Picked up a new one that wasn't even on my radar, Spider-Man:  The Parker Years.  This one only has 16 in 9.8 and 22 on the census.  Looks good in the slab with the wrap cover too.  It's mainly a flashback book that was during the clone madness, but my man is front and center on the cover so it was an easy call.  I didn't even realize it was a NS copy until it arrived.  :) 

SM_PY_1a.jpg

SM_PY_1b.jpg

In addition to those MCS pickups, I added in these 2. Totally random, but I was reminded while diving in my boxes that I missed these 2 when they came out.  Pull lists weren't perfect back in the day.  The Kraven book was so popular that it went from a 7-issue series to a 6.  Can't have a high print run.  The Redemption book was part of the clone madness, of course.

17135585630691659480943081458569.jpg

Edited by pmpknface

On 4/19/2024 at 3:29 PM, pmpknface said:

In addition to those MCS pickups, I added in these 2. Totally random, but I was reminded while diving in my boxes that I missed these 2 when they came out.  Pull lists weren't perfect back in the day.  The Kraven book was so popular that it went from a 7-issue series to a 6.  Can't have a high print run.  The Redemption book was part of the clone madness, of course.

17135585630691659480943081458569.jpg

It is worth noting that the redemption is a newsstand, speaking of "confidence" in distribution lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/19/2024 at 2:48 PM, pmpknface said:

Rolling on with the Hobgoblin collection!  Picked up a new one that wasn't even on my radar, Spider-Man:  The Parker Years.  This one only has 16 in 9.8 and 22 on the census.  Looks good in the slab with the wrap cover too.  It's mainly a flashback book that was during the clone madness, but my man is front and center on the cover so it was an easy call.  I didn't even realize it was a NS copy until it arrived.  :) 

SM_PY_1a.jpg

SM_PY_1b.jpg

This checks nearly all the boxes to be a really hard book to find as a NS. After the peak of NS distribution had passed? Although certainly not a post-2000 distribution diehard, I don't think anyone would argue that direct market copies weren't dominant by '95. Way, way off the main-line titles? Check, I'm not sure I ever knew this flashback-y one-shot book ever existed at all. UPC box on the back, where no one will see it on a bagged and boarded book? Very much check.

And in 9.8 to boot. Congratulations.

Books like this aren't necessarily worth magical Christmasland FMVs, but trying to find them on purpose is another story entirely.

On 4/22/2024 at 5:26 PM, Qalyar said:

This checks nearly all the boxes to be a really hard book to find as a NS. After the peak of NS distribution had passed? Although certainly not a post-2000 distribution diehard, I don't think anyone would argue that direct market copies weren't dominant by '95. Way, way off the main-line titles? Check, I'm not sure I ever knew this flashback-y one-shot book ever existed at all. UPC box on the back, where no one will see it on a bagged and boarded book? Very much check.

And in 9.8 to boot. Congratulations.

Books like this aren't necessarily worth magical Christmasland FMVs, but trying to find them on purpose is another story entirely.

Thanks! I really couldn't care about the NS aspect, I'm just happy to get any copy. The NS is a fun aspect, and I didn't think about the UPC on the back thing! Good pickup.

1 new one to add to the Hobgoblin run.  Upon getting this one I really had to go through my registry set.  I had prepared for the first 100 or so appearances, but with books this recent I really had to go back and re-order the appearances over the last decade.  Not that I have them all (YET!) but I've got a list so when I get one I have a slot prepared.  Anyway, here's Miles Morales SS v2 #16:

6014985_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8yNC8yMDI0IDEyO

Gotta love it when a Lone Star box arrives in the morning!  3 new modern books arrived.  

First up is one for the Hobgoblin run, ASM #696.  Man, McNiven really creepified both Hobgoblins for this run for covers!  I'm in it for the Kingsley app (I'm just bypassing Phil for the moment) but it's a cool layout on this one:

6018697_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8yNi8yMDI0IDk6N

Next up is the 1st new Electro, Francine Frye (I love that name)!  Any Ross cover is a darn good cover!

6018742_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8yNi8yMDI0IDEwO

Last up is a Hallows' Eve variant to #1 I picked up because it wasn't too much.  Black Cat?  I'm in! 

Hallows_Eve_Var_1a.jpg

I do admittedly sometimes feel a little self-conscious when my quests for Very Specific Drek earns a mention in the CovrPrice weekly report. But still...

This is the 2nd best copy recorded, behind a single 9.6, and is certainly miles better than the half-dozen or so raw copies I'd already gone through. Nor do I expect there to be many other high-grade candidates forthcoming. This variant was distributed exclusively in one (seemingly low distribution) version of one video game box-set. The contents also weren't exactly secured, so these got to bounce around in the box along with several CD jewel cases and a ~300 page strategy guide. Casualties happened, so even breaking a sealed box of the correct version (none of which were available last time I checked) is no guarantee of an acceptable copy.

As an aside, the cover artist here is Francisco Ruiz Velasco, who is probably more familiar to Dark Horse fans for his Predator and AVP stuff a few years later.

image.png.0561eee60ecd658fdbb7f2ef43ee8ab7.png

Also, my slab photography skills are still, erm, Very Good. One of these days, I need to stop buying weird comics and just bite the bullet on a slab-compatible legal scanner.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, Qalyar said:

I do admittedly sometimes feel a little self-conscious when my quests for Very Specific Drek earns a mention in the CovrPrice weekly report. But still...

This is the 2nd best copy recorded, behind a single 9.6, and is certainly miles better than the half-dozen or so raw copies I'd already gone through. Nor do I expect there to be many other high-grade candidates forthcoming. This variant was distributed exclusively in one (seemingly low distribution) version of one video game box-set. The contents also weren't exactly secured, so these got to bounce around in the box along with several CD jewel cases and a ~300 page strategy guide. Casualties happened, so even breaking a sealed box of the correct version (none of which were available last time I checked) is no guarantee of an acceptable copy.

As an aside, the cover artist here is Francisco Ruiz Velasco, who is probably more familiar to Dark Horse fans for his Predator and AVP stuff a few years later.

image.png.0561eee60ecd658fdbb7f2ef43ee8ab7.png

Also, my slab photography skills are still, erm, Very Good. One of these days, I need to stop buying weird comics and just bite the bullet on a slab-compatible legal scanner.

I love it when comics are shown off with cool background stories and lore. Awesome find, for sure, "drek" or not.