• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in your Collection - Moderns ONLY
20 20

1,967 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2024 at 10:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats... !

Not to be picky, but these probably go in the Bronze Age forums :cheers:

Hope you got a deal :) 

Sorry, didn't see this was for moderns only. I haven't bought any for awhile. Instead, I'm working on rebuilding my first comic book collection. As a kid, I had a little green box full of index cards to record all my comics. About thirty years ago, my mom offered it to me and I turned her down. Am I ever kicking myself about that. Same for rejecting my shoe box full of 1960's/1970's football cards. 

Trying to remember which comics I bought first is not easy because I eventually filled in the gaps of the collection after it was stolen, then my mom forced me to sell that collection also. Today, about all I have to go on are memories of comics that were in bad shape, or were exttremely memorable for some reason. I don't know why, but the DCs don't stand out as much as the Marvels, possibly because I eventually bought every DC by Neal Adams or Wrightson, making it very difficult to recall if I got those before or after the first collection was gone.

The number of comics I've bought "off the rack" since the early 1990s could be counted on one hand.  Picked up a copy of this book today, mostly jonesing on Bronze Age nostalgia, although this book is nothing like the original "Giant-size" books.

GSS-M - 2024 - 1.jpg

On 2/17/2024 at 12:33 PM, pmpknface said:

FINALLY grabbed this one.  It was mandatory for the Hobgoblin collection.  I like the logo versions over the virgin covers most of the time.  There are a serious number of newton rings happening I'll have to get fixed eventually, but I've got the book so I'm happy.  

GetImage.aspx?c=5905400&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

I love this Hobgoblin cover. I had the trade and sold it off after the virgin I had came back in a 9.8. I know what you mean with some books looking much nicer with the text.

It was a shame that Marvel whored out Gleason with so many web head variants, it got to a point where it became overkill. Glad that they stopped though for now.