• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in your Collection - Moderns ONLY
21 21

1,957 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2021 at 12:46 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Picked up a few recent books in the last couple of weeks, here are some of the more interesting ones.

Love these Neal Adams homages to... himself...

754570455_Joker2Adams.thumb.jpeg.7d504eb9bddb568b5e3855eb7429feb4.jpeg330257071_Joker3Adams.thumb.jpeg.2456f1712ab269d975370a757873fa12.jpeg1546122751_Joker4Adams.thumb.jpeg.999863bf883c9883239404fbb614460c.jpeg

I LOVE self-homage covers. I will forever find it hilarious that ASM 301 is a homage to the previous issue xD

18 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Some folks may have noticed this from my PGM post for this book, but thanks to the power of this forum, I'm now a proud owner of EverQuest Online Adventures: The Quest for Darkpaw (2002). This is a really odd, really obscure book. It was a promotional giveaway associated with EverQuest Online Adventures, the relatively short-lived PS2 exclusive spinoff of the EverQuest franchise. Contrary to expectations, this book wasn't included with the game. In fact, it's quite unclear exactly how this was distributed. There's definitely no indication that it was sent in bulk to game stores to be given out with game copies (as many later DC video game promotionals were, including Aion and DC Universe Online). It's also fairly well-established that it wasn't a comic book convention giveaway (like End of Nations or the extremely rare panel giveaway Teeny Titans). The publication timing might suggest it was a pre-order bonus for the game, but ... it wasn't that, either.

My best guess is that it may have been part of a press kit or something along those lines.

Rarity is tough to judge because demand has been pretty low, but there are not many of these in circulation. Two copies were in a collection sold to a comic store in Utah a number of years ago. However, that trail is cold; they no longer have the books, and suspect they disposed of them to a third party who bought a large amount of their bulk backstock. I was able to contact him, but he wasn't familiar with this title. So those two are likely languishing in storage... A third copy has been owned by another member of these boards, but they have not been active in awhile. I hope they are well. In any case, that copy doubtless remains with their collection. This book, from North Carolina, is unlikely to be any of those three, and so is the fourth confirmed copy. I suspect there are actually a lot more of these out there. Somewhere.

I think what surprises me most about this book is the caliber of talent DC/Wildstorm hired for a book that was never put through any sort of regular distribution. Lan Medina did the art here, years and years before his Eisner Award-winning contribution to Fables. Writer Scott Ciencin, who unfortunately passed away in 2014, is probably best known to the comic book community for his work on IDW's Silent Hill line (although he did work for Crossgen, DC, and Marvel as well). However, he was also a prolific novelist, especially for adaptations of franchise work, from Dinotopia to Godzilla to Jurassic Park and the Buffyverse. All for a book that was never sold, and that almost no one has ever seen.

Front Cover.jpg

Awesome history lesson!  Congrats on finding your copy!  Sounds like it is definitely in the right home!