• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

504 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 7:57 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Between GoT and Dahmer, I'm sensing that showing someone beating off is some sort of plot device in new tv shows. Either that, or I'm just watching the wrong shows.

I need to watch Dahmer, I take it he has one off the wrist on the odd occasion. Lovely!

On 9/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, Boozad said:

I need to watch Dahmer, I take it he has one off the wrist on the odd occasion. Lovely!

Evan Peters is really pretty good as Dahmer. The attention to detail in it is really fun to watch.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:08 AM, Boozad said:

How lovely that can be depends upon whose wrist he goes off on.  :eek:

I want to watch that series, but I wish it weren't a ten-episode series of almost-an-hour-long shows.  That's a REALLY long period of time to spend with that guy.  But I'm generally interested in understanding the motives of serial killers and I definitely like Evan Peters, so I'll probably end up descending into Dahmer's extreme darkness.  :sorry:

On 9/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 9/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, fantastic_four said:

I tend to agree.  That was particularly important given how strikingly unique Milly Alcock's facial features are; I found getting used to the new Rhaenyra really distracting in this episode.  Alcock was also 21 when they filmed the show so they didn't have far to age her up, although she does look exceptionally young for her age so it may have been a challenge.

They were successful in making her appear younger they could have easily made her appear mid 20's.

I'm guessing the thought process was "let's cast Milly because she looks so young!"  And correspondingly--"she looks so young we can't cast her in her late twenties!"  :blush:

Alcock reminds me of Steph Curry in looking a decade or more younger than she actually is.  And she looks even younger than she really is than Curry does, so I generally get why they thought they couldn't cast her as older.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm guessing the thought process was "let's cast Milly because she looks so young!"  And correspondingly--"she looks so young we can't cast her in her late twenties!"  :blush:

Alcock reminds me of Steph Curry in looking a decade or more younger than she actually is.  And she looks even younger than she really is than Curry does, so I generally get why they thought they couldn't cast her as older.

Yeah i agree with your comment, but i have seen recent images of Milly where she looks her age which is very similar to the age of the character on the show. I think it could have been accomplished with a change of wardrode and hair style and then the continuity doesnt feel so jarring. It is likely they tried and her youthful look always came through the wardrobe (shrug)

Edited by Artboy99

On 9/29/2022 at 9:35 AM, Artboy99 said:

Yeah i agree with your comment, but i have seen recent images of Milly where she looks her age which is very similar to the age of the character on the show. I think it could have been accomplished with a change of wardrode and hair style and then the continuity doesnt feel so jarring. It is likely they tried and her youthful look always came through the wardrobe (shrug)

I think the actor they cast as her replacement is doing a solid job.

On 9/29/2022 at 10:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

How lovely that can be depends upon whose wrist he goes off on.  :eek:

I want to watch that series, but I wish it weren't a ten-episode series of almost-an-hour-long shows.  That's a REALLY long period of time to spend with that guy.  But I'm generally interested in understanding the motives of serial killers and I definitely like Evan Peters, so I'll probably end up descending into Dahmer's extreme darkness.  :sorry:

The wife and I are 6 episodes in. The show is great and Peters does a fantastic job but man it is twisted.  I definitely recommend it! :insane: 

Watched episode 6 with my wife tonight, and she is not sure she wants to continue watching. She said the jumping years and then a full decade is making the story too disjointed, and she does not really care about the characters in this show as they are not really building them. I agree, but will keep watching to see the dragon fights. 

The reason the original show was successful is that they took time to build the characters over a full season or the entire series. This show is not doing the same. It is almost like they were told you have $X to cover 100 years of story in 2 seasons so skip ahead a decade every three episodes.........

Edited by kimik

On 9/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, piper said:

I think the actor they cast as her replacement is doing a solid job.

I am not a fan of either jump forward recast older female leads so far as there was no development, and they both come across as one-dimensional. Maybe that will change with time, but that will take a ton of character development that it does not seem like they are going to take the time to do.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:22 AM, kimik said:

Watched episode 6 with my wife tonight, and she is not sure she wants to continue watching. She said the jumping years and then a full decade is making the story too disjointed, and she does not really care about the characters in this show as they are not really building them. I agree, but will keep watching to see the dragon fights. 

The reason the original show was successful is that they took time to build the characters over a full season or the entire series. This show is not doing the same. It is almost like they were told you have $X to cover 100 years of story in 2 seasons so skip ahead a decade every three episodes.........

Agreed.  And I thought I could deal with the incestuous nature of the show, but frankly it turns my stomach.