• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

495 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, aardvark88 said:

Any one 'House of Dragon' episode seems to make more sense and is less plodding than 3 episodes of LOTR: Rings of Power.

Martin has been writing for sitcom's since the 80's, which if you've read his books, you can clearly tell.   Compare him to his contempories, he delivers so much pace in his books.    Probably only Steven Erikson exceeds him.

Tolkien's work is several generations removed, and they've stayed faithful to the writers style (thumbsu

This should be interesting.  I've never watched a show where practically the entire cast is changed out.

House of the Dragon viewers pay tribute to Milly Alcock after her character is recast (msn.com)

I will say that the multiple time jumps they've already done do tend to take me a little out of the show.  I like it, but it makes it feel more like the cliff notes version of the story.  

I hope that with this next time jump the cast gets stabilized and the story mores forward more evenly from here on out (though maybe that's not the case.  I don't know how long this civil war that's coming lasted in Martin's history.  Maybe we'll be jumping forward multiple years all the time)

On 9/21/2022 at 11:17 AM, Axelrod said:

I will say that the multiple time jumps they've already done do tend to take me a little out of the show.  I like it, but it makes it feel more like the cliff notes version of the story.  

I hope that with this next time jump the cast gets stabilized and the story mores forward more evenly from here on out (though maybe that's not the case.  I don't know how long this civil war that's coming lasted in Martin's history.  Maybe we'll be jumping forward multiple years all the time)

I hope it settles down as well.  These first few episodes feel more like a prelude to the main event.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:17 AM, Axelrod said:

I was worried about the times jumps, and the casting change concerns me.  I have already become attached to some of the people leaving and feel like they have done a great.  The acting and cast chemestry for such a young show has been superb. Recasting (I know it is by nessesity) is always risky.

I went into the show not expecting much after season 8 (yes, I am still bitter), and have been thoroughly surprised. The time jumps so far have worked and serve the show well in setting the stage.  I see why they were needed. My only disappointment is wanting to spend more time with the current versions of these characters. This setup was needed to give us the background needed for the civil war. That is the main story.  Let's hope the big time jump works.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, drotto said:

My only disappointment is wanting to spend more time with the current versions of these characters.

well we're in luck.  The dramatic changes in particular cast members are balanced out by a refusal to age by apparently even a day the carryovers (with one minor exception).

Sometimes I wonder if they sit around and laugh at us, amongst themselves.

Even with the time jump to move the story forward (Matt Smith's Daemon and Fabien Frankel's Ser Criston appeared unaged), the increased intensity was evident between Alicent and Rhaenyra due to the change.

Years of implied distance between them, and most probably barbs thrown at one another.