• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Each episode presents the dramatic high point(s) of a large story.  I feel I'm given just barely enough details and character development to feel the weight of the huge twists, but I'd prefer more.  Alicent and the Princess's childhood friendship could have developed over a whole season, for example, making the later betrayals affect me that much more.

After the problems with GoT's final seasons I can imagine that with this spin-off they might have planned the story over say five seasons and ensured they can hit every beat.  Maybe the multi-generational story appealed to HBO as a way to keep costs down.  Recasting as characters age brings a churn to the cast so actors can't ride the show's popularity to huge pay increases.  I do get the feeling with HoD they may have spent less on talent and more on special effects.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:49 PM, drotto said:

Not my favorite,  but we all knew it would be there.

True, as it was in GoT, but GoT is a much better show then this one.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, s-man said:

I am still a little split on this show.  I have been pleasantly surprised so far.  It is better then seasons 7 and 8 of GoT.  Likely better then 6, but nowhere near seasons 1 to 5.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, Heronext said:

Each episode presents the dramatic high point(s) of a large story.  I feel I'm given just barely enough details and character development to feel the weight of the huge twists, but I'd prefer more.  Alicent and the Princess's childhood friendship could have developed over a whole season, for example, making the later betrayals affect me that much

After the problems with GoT's final seasons I can imagine that with this spin-off they might have planned the story over say five seasons and ensured they can hit every beat.  Maybe the multi-generational story appealed to HBO as a way to keep costs down.  Recasting as characters age brings a churn to the cast so actors can't ride the show's popularity to huge pay increases.  I do get the feeling with HoD they may have spent less on talent and more on special effects.

That’s interesting you said that about Alicent and Rhaenyra because in the book they did not have much of a friendship at all and in fact the show played it up to raise the stakes. I know some people haven’t been crazy about the time jumps and lack of character development (which I don’t think is entirely the case) but we are just getting to the main event of the story which is a Targaryen civil war. 

On 10/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, drotto said:
On 10/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, s-man said:

I am still a little split on this show.  I have been pleasantly surprised so far.  It is better then seasons 7 and 8 of GoT.  Likely better then 6, but nowhere near seasons 1 to 5.

I do not think this show is even GoT Season 7 or 8 quality. The only interesting part right now is that they have so many dragons and you know the battles will be coming. I guess that may change things.

Other than that, they rushed it too much with the timeline jumps and did not build the characters to the point that you care about any of them. At this point, I am just counting the episodes until they should all get killed off (or die of disease/old age in the case of a couple).

Edited by kimik

On 10/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, kimik said:

I do not think this show is even GoT Season 7 or 8 quality. The only interesting part right now is that they have so many dragons and you know the battles will be coming. I guess that may change things.

Other than that, they rushed it too much with the timeline jumps and did not build the characters to the point that you care about any of them. At this point, I am just counting the episodes until they should all get killed off (or die of disease/old age in the case of a couple).

I'm right there with you.  While GoT certainly isn't known for virtuous protagonist characters without flaws, there doesn't seem to be one character in House of Dragons that has any redeemable qualities at all.  There's no one really to root for.  I find myself hoping they'll all fall off a cliff or get barbequed by the dragons.  

On 10/4/2022 at 2:19 PM, CrocHntr said:

I'm right there with you.  While GoT certainly isn't known for virtuous protagonist characters without flaws, there doesn't seem to be one character in House of Dragons that has any redeemable qualities at all.  There's no one really to root for.  I find myself hoping they'll all fall off a cliff or get barbequed by the dragons.  

I think the King is actually a good person, but blinded by his love and trust in his family. He is also the definition of adequate, not a great leader. 

Deamon I find very interesting and in a strange way likable. I think at his core he has a sense of morality and may be redeemable. 

Alicent (until the last episode maybe), I at least understood.

Rhaenyra, I liked the younger version.  The time jump, and resulting character changes, have me disliking and feeling distenced from the character.  Not sure that is because of the character arc, or I just do not like the newer version is being portrayed.

Yes, I think they should have spent at least the first season with the original cast, and did the jump with season two.

I guess they are going to rush through 20 years in 7 episodes and then spend 5 years on the war between the Hightowers and Targaryens? With the pace at which characters are going to be killed off, they will run out of bodies in two episodes if they keep the 5-10 year skip button on repeat. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:30 PM, bentbryan said:
On 10/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, marvelcollector said:

Is there any chance this is the dagger Arya used (or will use) to kill the Night King in GOT?hm

Yup. It’s the same dagger that was used to attack Bran in Winterfell and then used to kill the Night King. 

Who else was it used on before Rhaenyra? I am asking as I did not read the books and have no clue.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:51 AM, kimik said:

Who else was it used on before Rhaenyra? I am asking as I did not read the books and have no clue.

I’m not sure who else was cut with it but Viserys says that it belonged to Aegon the Conqueror and then someone before that I believe. I actually have only read part of the first GoT series but I listen to a couple great podcasts. If you have the time, I highly recommend the Baldmove series. For each episode that airs they do a 20 min or so instant take, then 2 more pods later in the week that are usually a couple hours each. They did this with the original series and I found them around season 3 or 4. One of the hosts, Aaron, has even co-written a book about all the religions in Westeros and of course has read all the books so you get a very detailed walk thru and direct comparison of show to book by a someone who is very well steeped in the lore of Westeros.   No doubt that listening to these pods makes the shows so much better. 

Edited by bentbryan