• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2024 at 10:08 PM, Axelrod said:

Nah.  It is more than possible to make a decent, or even great, film using any character.  Provided you have a good story to tell.  

The problem with the Sony Spider-U-Verse is that they have put the horse before the cart.  Which is to say, someone went "Hey! Spider-Man is popular.  We have the rights to all these Spider-Man adjacent characters.  We need to go make a movies out of all of them and just wait for the cash to come rolling in!"

And then Venom happened and it was a big hit and thus they determined that this strategy was obviously correct. 

So we got Morbius. And Madam Web. And soon-to-come Kraven the Hunter. With no one actually giving a **** about the story (or, if I'm being generous, only giving the barest of *****.  Someone probably cared, but didn't have the ability to make it good on the schedule the studio pre-determined)

It is crazy how the Sony animated Spider-Verse side has a solid plan bringing success and the live side seems overly jumbled between the Sony/MCU partnership and then the standalone Sony Spider-Verse. You would think at least it would have picked its Spider-Man character (Miles or other) and sprinkled them into each anti-hero movie. Then at least you link the content to an end state goal.

On 3/7/2024 at 5:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is crazy how the Sony animated Spider-Verse side has a solid plan bringing success and the live side seems overly jumbled between the Sony/MCU partnership and then the standalone Sony Spider-Verse. You would think at least it would have picked its Spider-Man character (Miles or other) and sprinkled them into each anti-hero movie. Then at least you link the content to an end state goal.

I get what you are saying, but would you really have wanted a cameo of Spider-Man (Peter/Miles/Spider-Ham) in that unpolished turd of a film called Madame Web?  They'd never get the stink off them.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:08 PM, Axelrod said:

Nah.  It is more than possible to make a decent, or even great, film using any character.  Provided you have a good story to tell.  

The problem with the Sony Spider-U-Verse is that they have put the horse before the cart.  Which is to say, someone went "Hey! Spider-Man is popular.  We have the rights to all these Spider-Man adjacent characters.  We need to go make a movies out of all of them and just wait for the cash to come rolling in!"

And then Venom happened and it was a big hit and thus they determined that this strategy was obviously correct. 

So we got Morbius. And Madam Web. And soon-to-come Kraven the Hunter. With no one actually giving a **** about the story (or, if I'm being generous, only giving the barest of *****.  Someone probably cared, but didn't have the ability to make it good on the schedule the studio pre-determined)

Chandor has made two good movies but can he rise above the stink that is the Sony non-animated SpiderVerse? The trailer didn't give me the warm and fuzzies, it was more encouraging than anything MW showed

(low bar alert)

Edited by paperheart

On 3/7/2024 at 6:45 PM, paperheart said:

Chandor has made two good movies but can he rise above the stink that is the Sony non-animated SpiderVerse? The trailer didn't give me the warm and fuzzies, it was more encouraging than anything MW showed

(low bar alert)

Ahem! 3 good movies.

• Margin Call
  • All Is Lost
  • A Most Violent Year

On 3/7/2024 at 5:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

I really have no idea how they keep messing it up. It's not that hard. Star Wars has put together a pretty good blueprint for weaving in the animation with the live action for a while. Not everything is a masterpiece, but it makes sense, and well...isn't Madame Web.

Going into it with very low expectations and looking at it as a movie on its own, I enjoyed it(shrug)

I give it a 6/10. I'd probably never watch it again but it was better than Frogmanlol

Edited by I like pie