• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2024 at 2:55 PM, media_junkie said:

I have no idea why this movie bombed.  I mean the guys (Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless) that wrote the movie have such a huge roll call of hits to their name;

image.png.09afc9bde1ab2258c0ecfd1d6508a0f5.png

Madame Web and those spider-women should stop those writers instead. Damn what a track record.

The trailer buzz was worrisome, advance ticket sales anemic. Then last week, the critic reviews for Madame Web were posted, and they stung deepest of all — Sony’s Spider-Man spinoff received the lowest average Rotten Tomatoes score (13 percent) of any major superhero film in nearly a decade.

“On Wednesday night, you could actually watch advance purchase sales declining in real time as buyers were refunding their tickets,” marvels a major theatrical chain insider. “It really says something when you’d rather have Shazam! 2 numbers.”

"Lowest average Rotten Tomatoes score (13%) of any major superhero film in nearly a decade."

Had to look it up -

Fantastic Four (2015) - with just 9% positive.

Worse than even Jonah Hex - which I paid to see in the theater opening weekend.

On 2/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, MAR1979 said:

Appears the budget was actually over 100MM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/madame-web-bomb-killed-sony-franchise-1235829471/

Sony has to be laundering money there really is no other logical explanation.

TheNumbers as a box office industry aggregator has it at $80M for now. No matter what the rumors are just yet. They normally will not publish a budget unless they validate with the studio.  

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Madame-Web-(2024)#tab=summary

image.thumb.png.6d88a27988760ebdd5d862b9c1d3efb0.png

So we'll see if it adjusts that number (which has occurred in the past - see Avengers: Endgame where originally it noted $325M).

image.thumb.png.e08608ff592982317cfab31f3a098bcc.png

Per THR, Madame Web has kicked off with one of the worst ever opening weekends for a new film based on Marvel Comics characters. Ahead of the release, it was looking clear that the film was in trouble, as advance ticket sales were not very strong. Reportedly, an insider for an unnamed major theatrical chain spoke about how many of the advance ticket sales could actually be seen dwindling in real time as film goers were requesting refunds as late as Wednesday, the midweek opening day for Madame Web.

:roflmao:

When Sony asks the writers of that bomb 'Morbius' to rewrite the script to 'Madame Web', unfortunately u get an unwatchable movie that seems to have also killed the live action Spider-verse 'Silk' movie.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, Cman429 said:

I saw every superhero movie from Blade through The Batman including paying for such gems as Elektra and Green Lantern. As a kid of the 70s/80s, I felt like just the fact my comics I grew up with made it to the big screen was enough to earn my support. Then 2021 broke me. I finally buckled and skipped Mobius then Quantumania then Shazam. 

Brand loyalty doesn’t last forever 

I also happily paid to see almost all superhero films on the big screen. Thor: Love and Thunder changed that for me though and since then have not put much money towards superhero movies and TV as I no longer have any trust in them to deliver anything of quality. I have also been correct to not do so!

If friends ask me I would go see Deadpool 3.

Edited by Artboy99