• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,038 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, paqart said:

I just received my first big box of comics from CGC. I'm not going to show the 3 direct comics in the batch. For reference, they were Hulk #1 (2008) 9.8, Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 9.2, and Next Men #21 9.4.
As I wrote before, these grades are almost all exactly what I predicted before I sent them off. I was wrong on 3 of them, one of which (Daredevil #111) was a full grade higher than I expected. Two others were .2 and .4 lower than I expected. My average of 22 out of 25 was totally destroyed by the next batch, almost all of which I guessed wrong. My impression is that different graders have different standards and I got different graders between the batches. Those haven't arrived yet, so I can't show them.

Another interesting item is that CGC did not note that my previously submitted X-Men #95 was a $2.49 price variant on the label. However, all of the price variants in this shipment were noted on the label.

CGC 002.jpg

CGC 003.jpg

CGC 004.jpg

CGC 005.jpg

CGC 006.jpg

CGC 007.jpg

CGC 008.jpg

CGC 009.jpg

^^

On 3/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, paqart said:

BTW, I just checked and see that my price variants are the only ones in the CGC census.

and they still got the label notes, correct? Sweet deal :headbang: 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

and they still got the label notes, correct? Sweet deal :headbang: 

I've been sticking a post it on each book denoting a price difference between direct and newsstand in addition to entering it on the invoice. so far I haven't had to send anything back yet for label revisions.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, devald said:

I've been sticking a post it on each book denoting a price difference between direct and newsstand in addition to entering it on the invoice. so far I haven't had to send anything back yet for label revisions.

I'm not talking about the difference in price between direct and newsstand. These are genuine price variants. For each of these comics there is a direct and a newsstand with the same price, then two more newsstands with different prices. The direct and one newsstand are $1.99 each. There are also newsstands priced at $2.29 and $2.49. The price variants I sent in are all $2.29 and $2.49 price variants.

These are, by the way, very hard to find. I'm tempted to say they are rarer than newsstand Ultimate Fallout #4 but haven't done a count to be sure. I did a market count of UF4 last month, as well as a sold count of UF4. Result: over 1,500 direct, zero newsstand. These price variants are like that for months at a time, then one or two will show up.

Edited by paqart