• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,029 posts in this topic

@Lazyboy - I don't mind the laughing emoji at all (I'm being honest; I don't want it to get removed from the boards again like it did before because apparently people were annoyed for whatever reason - remember that? It was weird) - but I'm assuming you used it because of the stickers on the books and their being considered "newsstands?"

It made me think of a different thread where @Cpt Kirk and others were debating about the origin of these stickers, and it seems like they figured out it was common practice - especially for DC and especially on titles like these early LotDK books and others where there was no corner box - for either the publisher or distributor to use a sticker for the newsstand barcodes, thereby making these copies the de facto newsstand version of these books. I've seen a small handful of these on eBay, though not many, and that seems to be the case...

On 7/6/2023 at 12:16 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

@Lazyboy - I don't mind the laughing emoji at all (I'm being honest; I don't want it to get removed from the boards again like it did before because apparently people were annoyed for whatever reason - remember that? It was weird) - but I'm assuming you used it because of the stickers on the books and their being considered "newsstands?"

It made me think of a different thread where @Cpt Kirk and others were debating about the origin of these stickers, and it seems like they figured out it was common practice - especially for DC and especially on titles like these early LotDK books and others where there was no corner box - for either the publisher or distributor to use a sticker for the newsstand barcodes, thereby making these copies the de facto newsstand version of these books. I've seen a small handful of these on eBay, though not many, and that seems to be the case...

That is cool that you found a run of LotDK with those stickers.  Thanks for posting the images!   I was just thinking of stickers the other day when I ran across the newsstand version of Detective Comics 802 on ebay.  A sticker was placed on that newsstand issue because there was a significant error on the original newsstand bar code when it was printed.   The following image was copied from the ebay listing.

detective 802 newsstand sticker.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 7/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

IMG_8899.thumb.JPG.1c0f923682d5177cca3678c19d9833b6.JPG

IMG_8900.thumb.JPG.bbc967f0f55258fb5d1fd6eb49277895.JPG

I was looking at the Batman #24 today, as I own a copy, it doesn't often sell it seems. I blame the variants but idk. I think it's cool. :)

Lcs tried to have a party to celebrate the issue, complete with cupcakes and cake ball stuff, it was fun just to see them celebrate the story! Good Times.

Congrats. :)

Its worth it to say that I too own a variant, the newsstand lol but I feel there are a lot of them for it to catch on, but idk @Jesse-Lee nice pick up though, can't be easy?

I was expecting a story? In the wild?

Sorry, forgot to quote your post, @ADAMANTIUM -

I actually really liked a lot of the Batman Rebirth run, even though the whole wedding thing was a big letdown. A party for the issue sounds crazy! That'd be pretty fun... xD

No huge story on these - popped into an LCS on the way home from work and they had 25% off back issues. Got the 2 newsstands above and this (non-newsstand, but a nice and usually somewhat pricey variant) below for $16 total for all 3 books:

IMG_8898.thumb.JPG.b51dc724458a7a525dbce3248fa95550.JPG

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 7/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Sorry, forgot to quote your post, @ADAMANTIUM -

I actually really liked a lot of the Batman Rebirth run, even though the whole wedding thing was a big letdown. A party for the issue sounds crazy! That'd be pretty fun... xD

No huge story on these - popped into an LCS on the way home from work and they had 25% off back issues. Got the 2 newsstands above and this (non-newsstand, but a nice and usually somewhat pricey variant) below for $16:

IMG_8898.thumb.JPG.b51dc724458a7a525dbce3248fa95550.JPG

Awesome! It's good to hear of sales elsewhere, just to become familiar with the goings on, and I know several of mine had some ramping up to the 4th. Then one had a 30 % off statues, then I buckled, needing to save for a signature series send off. 

Glad to here yours went a whiles after, that way you could spend funds for the 4th hopefully, and ya, the lcs that threw the party for cats and bats was let down big time.

It's enjoyable to know the answer if they had led different lives I guess. Then there is dc super stars 17, where they are kind of married already lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM