• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2023 at 7:51 PM, djzombi said:

More recent newsie acquisitions, all from after the year 2000, nearly all from dollar bins. And two are "final" issues!

20230227_203632~2.jpg

20230227_204041~2.jpg

20230227_204228.jpg

Very nice. Very present. Keeping tally, some of those I can dig the covers. Is it all for collectables? And holding? Or filing away? I would love to flip lol

That ain't easy either lol

On 2/27/2023 at 11:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Very nice. Very present. Keeping tally, some of those I can dig the covers. Is it all for collectables? And holding? Or filing away? I would love to flip lol

That ain't easy either lol

Oh, I just got them because they were there, and cheap.

I mean, "I got them for my collection."  Because I'm a hoarder...uh, "collector."

Yeah, that's the ticket!

xD

On 3/3/2023 at 10:39 AM, ThothAmon said:

Trying to understand where the blank upc box fits into the variant world?  Does say made in Canada First Printing on splash page. 

Usually, these are from packaged or boxed sets. There's no UPC so that the package/set doesn't scan a price for a single issue.

Knowing whether they're actually first prints is harder... because the companies are usually trying to "capitalize on popularity" with a "packaged set" which either isn't known until after the first printings are in the market or they aren't sold packaged as a set until all the other single books in the set have been released. The interior may say first printing because they wanted to go back to print quickly with the same guts as the original, or maybe the guts were overprinted initially in anticipation of a later "packaged set". The cover differences indicate that it's from a set that's not likely to be from the same timeframe as when the first printing single issues went on sale.

Edited by valiantman

On 3/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, andyborehol said:

End of the day, my take is that if there is any published feature that made some copies of a book distinguishable from others, then you’ve got yourself a variant.

I'm more comfortable saying that they are different editions, rather than variants. Directs are not variants of newsstands and newsstands are not variants of directs.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, mrwoogieman said:
On 3/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, andyborehol said:

End of the day, my take is that if there is any published feature that made some copies of a book distinguishable from others, then you’ve got yourself a variant.

I'm more comfortable saying that they are different editions, rather than variants. Directs are not variants of newsstands and newsstands are not variants of directs.

What's interesting is that both of these points of view, plus the discussion of unintended differences and manufacturing errors, could be combined by using the word "variation".

Edited by valiantman

On 3/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, Corona smith said:

BB9C860C-0C70-4E6E-9067-D90921D24142.jpeg

Man that's good stuff. So far I've come up dry on newsstands. Usual places, mostly looked for titles too if I'm honest. Haven't bit the Newsstand bug in a minute. Glad to see there are still some being bought. I'm not sure what the ball bounces in ways of appearances either, which is mostly my thing. Are you keeping all these raw?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM