• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, Corona smith said:

First newsstand edition I’ve seen of this book in the 2+ years I’ve been watching for it. 

28BD4F79-A84B-4BEC-9B08-0C723CB99A93.jpeg

Nice! 

On the topic of "do they even exist?", has anyone ever seen newsstand copies of the 2005 House of M series?    (I also have the same question for some not-quite-modern-newsies, like Marvel Comics Presents #175, but we'd go down a rathole if we started discussing 90s issues as well).

Question for everyone. I’m well aware of the newsstand market, and I’ve been collecting comics for 25+ years. I’ve actually been identifying newsstand editions for over 10 years before most people even knew what a newsstand edition was.  But I have recently run into a large collection of solely newsstand edition comics that comprises about 15 long boxes. Any idea what I could get if I sold all 15 boxes in a single lot?

Background: I’ll try to do my best to describe the lot.

The seller use to be a magazine distributor and had a giant back stock of comics and magazines. So everything is new oldstock. Grades vary, as his oldstock was kept in apple boxes. So anything from VG to NM/MT.  But most are high grade VF to NM/MT.  The brunt of the books date 1990-1994, but there are a couple boxes from 1995-1999.

I pulled 8 copies of Heir to the Empire #1 and 5 copies of Batman Beyond #1.  Other than that, most books are commons with only some being recognizable soft-keys (X-Force #1, Spider-Man 2099 #1, Spectacular Spider-Man #200, etc.). Publishers are Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, Archie, Valiant, and Malibu.

There are plenty of kids books ranging from Archie vs. the Punisher to Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, TMNT, Biker Mice From Mars, Cowboys of Moo-Mesa, etc.  But it’s a lot of random commons, for example things like Marvel Summer Special 1992.  I’m actually surprised that some of these Non-Marvel and DC issues even hit the newsstand. Random later copies of Brigade and Bloodshot.  There are a few issues of Spawn, but all are in the first 20 issues. Lots of duplicates (8”5-10 copies) for the early 90s issues.

Any idea what this is worth in today’s market?

3 hours ago, TGrier said:

Question for everyone. I’m well aware of the newsstand market, and I’ve been collecting comics for 25+ years. I’ve actually been identifying newsstand editions for over 10 years before most people even knew what a newsstand edition was.  But I have recently run into a large collection of solely newsstand edition comics that comprises about 15 long boxes. Any idea what I could get if I sold all 15 boxes in a single lot?

Background: I’ll try to do my best to describe the lot.

The seller use to be a magazine distributor and had a giant back stock of comics and magazines. So everything is new oldstock. Grades vary, as his oldstock was kept in apple boxes. So anything from VG to NM/MT.  But most are high grade VF to NM/MT.  The brunt of the books date 1990-1994, but there are a couple boxes from 1995-1999.

I pulled 8 copies of Heir to the Empire #1 and 5 copies of Batman Beyond #1.  Other than that, most books are commons with only some being recognizable soft-keys (X-Force #1, Spider-Man 2099 #1, Spectacular Spider-Man #200, etc.). Publishers are Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, Archie, Valiant, and Malibu.

There are plenty of kids books ranging from Archie vs. the Punisher to Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, TMNT, Biker Mice From Mars, Cowboys of Moo-Mesa, etc.  But it’s a lot of random commons, for example things like Marvel Summer Special 1992.  I’m actually surprised that some of these Non-Marvel and DC issues even hit the newsstand. Random later copies of Brigade and Bloodshot.  There are a few issues of Spawn, but all are in the first 20 issues. Lots of duplicates (8”5-10 copies) for the early 90s issues.

Any idea what this is worth in today’s market?

usually dealers pay $70-100 per longbox. Maybe more depending on how good it is. You’re going to have to find the right buyer who agrees with you on the value and rarity of newsstands. And that’s going to be tough. Some dealers don’t care if it’s NS or not. Just condition. I would say the right dealer may pay $150-200+ per box if it’s all NS. It is 90s stuff after all and some 90s NS are commonplace. If you had 2000-2010s that would be rarer. You’re probably looking at around $2,500 for all 15 boxes.. those Heirs and Beyonds and particularly Star Wars newsstands are probably worth pulling and selling separately for  realizing maximum value 

Edited by littledoom

7 hours ago, George Brent said:

Nice! 

On the topic of "do they even exist?", has anyone ever seen newsstand copies of the 2005 House of M series?    (I also have the same question for some not-quite-modern-newsies, like Marvel Comics Presents #175, but we'd go down a rathole if we started discussing 90s issues as well).

I have the same question about House of M, NYX, and Gotham Sirens #1-24.

1 hour ago, paqart said:

I have the same question about House of M, NYX, and Gotham Sirens #1-24.

Negative on NYX. It was a mature title and Marvel for a few years didn’t do mature stuff at newsstands. I’ve seen one or two house of m newsstands as well as Gotham sirens. 

FWIW, after buying a few slabbed newsstand editions, I have finally taken the plunge and sent in 25 comics for grading. I have about 1,600 (10 short boxes) newsstands now, so I'm sweating over whether I sent the right ones. I held off for a long time for four reasons: 1) concern over safety during shipping, 2) confusion over declaration of value when newsstand value isn't well-established, 3) cost of grading vs cost of buying more comics, and 4) complexity of decision which issues to send and how many.

I decided on 25 because it was the maximum that will fit in a return box and the most I feel like paying to have graded. As it is, the only reason I felt comfortable spending the $1000 or so that it cost is because I also decided to grade and sell some of my early Pokémon cards, all of which I expect to grade as 9+.

I selected the issues I sent based on what I think were the best examples of the most valuable newsstands I have. For most of them, I have multiples. In some cases, as many as eight. I don't know if I picked the right ones, in part due to the variable appeal of different newsstands, but I sent in the following:
Hulk (1998) #92

Hulk (2008) #1

Amazing Spider-Man #298

Amazing Spider-Man V2 #'s 10 ($2.49 variant), 13 ($2.49 variant), 30, 529, 532, 600, 606, 607, 671

Deadpool #1 (2013)

Gotham City Sirens #26, 25

Supergirl (2005) #'s 1 (3x Turner), 2 (3x Turner), 3 (Turner), 50, 66

Wolverine V2 #66

Based on the current wait times listed at CGC, I expect to get these back around 70 days from now. The Pokémon cards should be back in about a month. I'll post them when they come in. 

A funny thing is that I was feeling very confident of their condition until I was shuffling through all the copies I had, trying to decide which one (or two, or three) to send. Suddenly, I was hyper-alert to every defect. My prediction: 8x 9.8's, 1x 7.5, everything else 9.2 or better.

Thor 199.jpg

I have several submissions in and today one of the subs from 1/18/2021 shows as Scheduled for Grading :banana: which is encouraging so hopefully you will have those back in about that time frame @paqart

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

BTW, on the form, I listed all of them as "Newsstand" typed in by hand, or "$3.99/$4.99 Newsstand price variant" if that option was available in the popup. Many of my newsstands, including the ones I submitted, are priced differently than the direct version of the same comic but aren't listed that way at CGC. I didn't create a new entry for those because I don't consider them to be true price variants. I did make a new entry for the two ASM $2.49 NS issues, because those are genuine price variants, with three prices for each of the NS issues. I thought I had entered the other $2.49 ASM variant (#11), but forgot to hit "add to checkout", so it didn't get sent. Now I have to make a new submission if I want all three ASM $2.49 variants in slabs (and I do).

2.49 Spider-Man.jpg

10 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I have a bunch of Gotham City Sirens NS from the tail end of the run, I think 23-26

I have only 25-26. I read somewhere that only the last four issues were NS. That seemed strange to me so I'm not sure whether to believe it.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:22 AM, mrwoogieman said:

@Get Marwood & I Have you done any research on which issues have newsie stickers instead of being printed as usual?

I haven't, no. Not enough hours in the day Mr Woogie!