• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,020 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is correct, although as Greggy pointed out timeline wise it is not modern, eventough CGC it is the modern grading.  Last I checked there were only 2 of those in 9.8

Here is mine.

Reveal hidden contents

20200627_200238.thumb.jpg.385643ccbe13540932de20a648da0c3a.jpg

Double checked and still only 2 on census for the 9.8 

Reveal hidden contents

20210204_144415.jpg.efd5a4cb0bc9a9f262345e9083fe7aec.jpg

Someone is going to be disappointed in this purchase if they were going by the description and not the pics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-50-1990-Newsstand-2nd-Print-RARE-NM-Krista-Of-The-Krimson-Kryptonite-/284158860161?hash=item4229301b81%3Ag%3ANYkAAOSwoUBgDUSF&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 2/5/2021 at 11:00 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Which is why you do a tiny bit of research before dropping a hundred books on at best a $10 newsstand copy. 

6 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

That’s my main collecting focus. I want to say I have 8 longboxes full and adding them here and there. 

I have from the 90s. Mile High chuck thinks they're all worth $40 or $50 a pop, but the market doesn't. Most of the 2000s books I bought were comic shop overstock. Once in a while someone would sell their books to the shop, who would dump them in the cheap-o box, and sometimes they were newsies, but it was pretty rare.

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

He actually thinks every book he owns is worth a lot more than it is. Not just the newsstands. You think with the ancient website he’d offer competitive market prices. 

Yes, but the prices he has on relatively common 1990s newsstands are pretty funny. I actually found a couple of books on the site that, after the 50% off, were priced pretty well, but one of them I have 10 copies of already (one of my long term speculation plays) and I said no more

19 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Did you buy these when they came out or have you been hunting them after the fact?

I had access to plenty at the Borders near me, but you'd have to get there they day they were put out to get a chance at non-trashed ones and at the time paying cover price for non-hot books seemed silly when 80% of them seemed to wind up in the dollar box at my shop a month later (plus I was not really following moderns at the time as they were getting released... kind of like now). I guess you still would have needed to pick the right ones for it to pan out vs. other things I could have spent $3 a pop on back then.