• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Just some lots I picked up this morning specifically for the newsstands. 

That's quite the spread ^^ I have the endangered with colossus on the front lol uno, one, it's the loneliest # of the bunch ha. and it is only a 6.0 :tonofbricks:

Congrats!

I hate you people. It is bad enough I look at a box of 90s drek and ask myself "why?", now I am disappointed and disgusted when they're all directs. I went through a packed long box of 90s x-men and there were 2 newsies out of like 250 books. Blech!! A mixed box of 80s through 2000s x-men and other than a few of the 80s books, zilch. I did find some late conan newsies in the 250s and 260s though.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:33 PM, Corona smith said:

That’s my main collecting focus. I want to say I have 8 longboxes full and adding them here and there. 

What year is your cut off for keeping them separate? I feel silly segregating 80s newsies although late 80s they're probably getting tougher.

4 hours ago, the blob said:

What year is your cut off for keeping them separate? I feel silly segregating 80s newsies although late 80s they're probably getting tougher.

Funny you should ask as I’m in the process of alphabetizing them. I start at 1994 but try and focus on post 2000. 

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Seems to me even the early 80’s newsstands are selling for a premium. Even from that time period the vast majority of books that make their way to the market are direct editions. 

Outside of the context of 9.8 copies of some books that actually doesn't make sense. Pick a random early 80s book .. ASM 214, Avengers 227.. seems to be a pretty even mix. Where you see the directs way outnumber is where a book had extras ordered due to speculation and what not. Avengers Annual 10 comes to mind, and even then I see plenty of newsies, Even Thor 339, "the most important key of the late bronze/early copper age" (TM), has a pretty even mix of direct vs. newsstand copies. Indeed, an even number of newsies vs. direct 9.8s have sold in the last 3 months and the # for sale is about the same (that actually surprises me, my local shop might have been one of the few to order an extra case or 4 of Thor 339s)

Edited by the blob

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Figured you were trying to pump n’ dump :insane:

Did my trademark symbol after  "the most important key of the late bronze/early copper age" give it away? [Come on man, you're Canadian, the homeland of half of our comedians, is your sarcasm detector frozen??) But in all seriousness, "pump and dump" would be "Gosh, I wish I could find a copy of Thor 339, they are so rare and awesome, especially the direct market version. I would really like to buy a lot of them because I think it will be the next Batman 227, too bad I don't have any."

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

frozen

Lol. I tried to test your hypothesis on the ratio of Thor 339’s on the bay but started to get a headache looking at all the 337’s attached to the search. Suffice it to say plenty of direct and newsstand copies are available. Sold prices are a little inconclusive as 9 out of 10 sellers have no clue about the distinction. 

21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Really? 1st Stormbreaker is the most important key of the late bronze/early copper age????

It's a long-running joke. Of course, the joke should have ended when the book was actually hot and the blob should have sold all his copies, but...

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's a long-running joke. Of course, the joke should have ended when the book was actually hot and the blob should have sold all his copies, but...

that happened during a hiatus from selling. with that said, it still seems to go for $15 or so. Not sure why the one I have up has not sold. The picture is a little crappy.