• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 1:48 PM, Lifesuggs said:

rude.jpg

I still have a spare, its slabbed, but only like a 5.5 lol 

I don't think they're all that much coin :shy: not sure it is really worth selling, even the minimum what I have into it. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:11 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

The Newsstand error versions are oddities. The Direct editions are oddities, with promo pricing that's inconsistent with the run. The regular Newsstands are just that: regular Newsstands, completely normal.

That FF label... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Sorry, but normal to me is the Direct A cover. Anything deviating from that is at least somewhat outside of normal (I realize the overwhelming amount of variants over the last decade or so water this point down, especially open to order variants, but the fact they're still so new compared to 60 years of comic history still makes them kind of odd). A price variant with an msrp (which is what cover price is) 25 times higher than the direct A cover counts as odd in my book. To say that buying comics off the newsstand in 2002 was the normal way of buying comics is to stretch believability. 

And I emailed CGC about the FF label and complained about Ben being covered by the sticker saying I never would have paid for those labels if I knew this was going to happen and they refunded the $5 cost of the label on 5 books I had submitted. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, bshowell said:

Just back from CGC today.

20220105_181851.jpg

20220105_181857.jpg

Have you gotten an FF 35 nonehanced newsstand yet? Its similiar to Thor 25 and ASM 25 which has 3 versions.
The foil, non-foil and then nonfoil newsstand. I found the Thor and ASM copies maybe twice. Looks like a couple
of the FF copy on ebay.

On 1/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, bshowell said:

Sorry, but normal to me is the Direct A cover. Anything deviating from that is at least somewhat outside of normal (I realize the overwhelming amount of variants over the last decade or so water this point down, especially open to order variants, but the fact they're still so new compared to 60 years of comic history still makes them kind of odd). A price variant with an msrp (which is what cover price is) 25 times higher than the direct A cover counts as odd in my book.

By definition, the one issue published in a year that has a significantly different price than the others is an oddity. How is an issue with a cover price that suggests it belongs decades in the past not an oddity?

Newsstands that aren't priced identically to their Direct counterparts are not price variants. Newsstands that aren't priced identically to their Newsstand counterparts are price variants.

To say that buying comics off the newsstand in 2002 was the normal way of buying comics is to stretch believability. 

Then it's a good thing I didn't say that (even though not being the most common way did not make it at all unusual). What I said was that there's nothing odd about this sequence: 'A A A A A A A A A', while there is something odd about this sequence: 'A A A A A B A A A'.

And I emailed CGC about the FF label and complained about Ben being covered by the sticker saying I never would have paid for those labels if I knew this was going to happen and they refunded the $5 cost of the label on 5 books I had submitted. 

I meant it being incorrectly labelled as a price variant. All of the custom labels are ridiculous garbage.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:36 AM, Lazyboy said:

By definition, the one issue published in a year that has a significantly different price than the others is an oddity. How is an issue with a cover price that suggests it belongs decades in the past not an oddity?

Newsstands that aren't priced identically to their Direct counterparts are not price variants. Newsstands that aren't priced identically to their Newsstand counterparts are price variants.

Then it's a good thing I didn't say that (even though not being the most common way did not make it at all unusual). What I said was that there's nothing odd about this sequence: 'A A A A A A A A A', while there is something odd about this sequence: 'A A A A A B A A A'.

I meant it being incorrectly labelled as a price variant. All of the custom labels are ridiculous garbage.

You know, I've seen you post in this thread for a long time and I've always wondered why you take so much time trying to convince those of us who like newsstand comics that they are nothing special. I at least see where you're coming from now. It's all pattern recognition to you. It's only a variant if it bucks the price trend of that title. By that definition I guess you are right that the Fantastic Four isn't a price variant (it also means that the 9cent direct edition is a price variant). The problem is that almost no one is going to take the time to spot those patterns. I don't care what the price of Fantastic Four #55-59 are when I'm looking for a copy of #60. I do care what all of the options for buying a copy of #60 are. And I like to buy the one that is at least a little bit different.

Also, nothing you said convinced me that a price variant is only a price variant when compared to the price of former issues of that title. Again, a variant is anything that makes a copy different from the Direct Edition A cover. The link you shared says that multiple price variants exist for some issues, not that newsstand price variants that have different prices from their Direct counterparts aren't variants because they share a price with former issues.

Just curious, do you hang around threads that talk about collecting Venomized covers or Zombie covers and try to talk down to their preferences too? Is it an alternate cover thing?

Newsstand issues are a collecting niche. We know it's not for everyone but I find it a lot of fun to try and track down 9.8 candidates and send them into CGC to use as decoration later. I have a pretty good track record if you look at my former posts. It is no challenge at all to find 9.8 candidates of almost any comic published after about 1985 in the direct market. There are a ton of them. So it makes the hunt more exciting and limits the amount I can find at least somewhat (which also saves me money😁).

On 1/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, Lifesuggs said:

Nothing to do with the coin, I am in this game for the hunt!

:yeehaw: for sure!

I kind of cheated on this one a little, I know I got it cheap, I just don't remember if I found it in the wild. I want to say that I did and that is why I then tried to upgrade. Some faithfully find high grade copies, I'm with you the hunt is the fine and I'll take what I find!

:takeit:

On 1/6/2022 at 8:32 AM, bshowell said:

It's all pattern recognition to you. It's only a variant if it bucks the price trend of that title.

No, again, that's not what I said. Learn how to comprehend what you read.

What I said was that it was an oddity if it looks out of place in the run, which it absolutely is, by definition.

Technically, most Newsstand editions are variants, with the Direct being the standard version. Regardless of how they're priced, they are not price variants, because they are already classified as the Direct and Newsstand editions. The thread that I linked show issues where the price is the defining difference. There are multiple editions which vary (almost) solely by price, which makes them price variants.

By that definition I guess you are right that the Fantastic Four isn't a price variant (it also means that the 9cent direct edition is a price variant).

As I just pointed out, that is wrong. The following picture shows two versions of the same issue with different prices:

NotPriceVariant.thumb.jpg.a938c35cd8ae4505921c5836f6617550.jpg

Again, neither is a price variant. They are already properly defined by being the enhanced and regular versions (both Direct). The prices are trivial.

Just curious, do you hang around threads that talk about collecting Venomized covers or Zombie covers and try to talk down to their preferences too? Is it an alternate cover thing?

1. I don't care about those

2. I'm pretty sure those threads aren't full of nonsense (other than most of the covers themselves (:) and lies like most Newsstand threads

Newsstand issues are a collecting niche.

Yup. No argument here.

We know it's not for everyone but I find it a lot of fun to try and track down 9.8 candidates and send them into CGC to use as decoration later. I have a pretty good track record if you look at my former posts. It is no challenge at all to find 9.8 candidates of almost any comic published after about 1985 in the direct market. There are a ton of them. So it makes the hunt more exciting and limits the amount I can find at least somewhat (which also saves me money😁).

To be perfectly clear, I do not care what you collect. If you like collecting it, great!

What I care about is people spewing nonsense and lies.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:28 AM, bshowell said:

Sorry, I should have posted this in the last reply but I just saw it. I have the ASM 25 newsstand as well.

Screenshot_20220106-112651_CLZ Comics.jpg

I want to say the ASM should be harder to find but, because I dont look for the FF one I cant say that. Going by 
print run the FF copy should be much harder to find at any grade.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, Lazyboy said:

No, again, that's not what I said. Learn how to comprehend what you read.

What I said was that it was an oddity if it looks out of place in the run, which it absolutely is, by definition.

Technically, most Newsstand editions are variants, with the Direct being the standard version. Regardless of how they're priced, they are not price variants, because they are already classified as the Direct and Newsstand editions. The thread that I linked show issues where the price is the defining difference. There are multiple editions which vary (almost) solely by price, which makes them price variants.

As I just pointed out, that is wrong. The following picture shows two versions of the same issue with different prices:

NotPriceVariant.thumb.jpg.a938c35cd8ae4505921c5836f6617550.jpg

Again, neither is a price variant. They are already properly defined by being the enhanced and regular versions (both Direct). The prices are trivial.

1. I don't care about those

2. I'm pretty sure those threads aren't full of nonsense (other than most of the covers themselves (:) and lies like most Newsstand threads

Yup. No argument here.

To be perfectly clear, I do not care what you collect. If you like collecting it, great!

What I care about is people spewing nonsense and lies.

Ok, I get that your are trying to define the word oddity in a way that allows you to say that I am part of a thread spewing nonsense and lies, and you keep saying that "by definition" the way I used oddity was wrong. Oddity's definition boils down to the opinion of the person observing a situation. The problem is the situation you describe isn't even the situation I was talking about. Your example of a price variant not being a price variant because it is consistent with the pricing of newsstands at the time, and therefore not odd, is irrelevant because I am talking about now, trying to find 9.8 worthy copies of Fantastic Four 60. Ebay, LCSs, Garage sales, I run into 25 copies of that 9cent issue for every one copy of the newsstand variant(probably more considering i think they printed 8 million copies of that thing). That makes the newsstand variant odd now because it is super uncommon compared to the norm. That is my opinion and it is not wrong or nonsense to state it. And I will continue to use the word oddity to describe any situation that seems rare currently.

I am also concerned that you seem opposed to adding information in front of the word variant to help clarify why it's  a variant. Your ASM example, the non-enhanced version has the lowest barcode number so it is the cover that  Marvel considered its main or A cover. I will continue to call any edition that differs from the main cover a variant no matter how small or "insignificant" that change is (the words variant, edition, and version can also be used interchangeably in most situations). So the foil enhanced cover is the enhanced variant or the enhanced price variant, or the enhanced flip-book variant, or the sparkly variant if that last one floats your boat. All are correct and I prefer more description before the word variant over less for the sake of clarity, so I would call that one the foil price variant. Fantastic Four 60 therefore has a newsstand price variant because both the barecode and the price differ from the main, direct cover.

All of this is influenced by the way most collecting software sort comic books. All the programs I've tried pull an issues up and give a,b, and c (and so on) versions of that book. The descriptions always refer to differences between the variant from the A cover, whether it's different art, title font or color (see those new Walmart variants for an example of this), or price. It clarifies differences in versions of the same book and is useful because of it, so I am grateful for descriptions such as newsstand price variant. Again, when I'm looking for a copy of Fantastic Four 60 I want to know all the options I have for that book, I don't care whether it's pricing was in line with the 10 prior issues. I only care about the difference in that issue's versions.

Having said all of that, I am going to continue speaking about newsstands the way I have because it is the most clear way to do it and I will call something odd whenever I feel like it. You're free to ask why I think it's an oddity but can't convince me that I can't use that word.

Edited by bshowell
Clarity

On 1/6/2022 at 6:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

I want to say the ASM should be harder to find but, because I dont look for the FF one I cant say that. Going by 
print run the FF copy should be much harder to find at any grade.

Both of the non-enhanced are pretty common. There are usually 2-3 up on ebay at any given time. It took me a while to find a 9.8 candidate though, many just look trashed. The one I really want to find in 9.8 is the FF 35 foil Newsstand, it's really elusive and I've only ever seen two that both had pretty bad spine ticks (I own one of them).

1491522.jpg

Edited by bshowell

On 1/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, bshowell said:

Both of the non-enhanced are pretty common. There are usually 2-3 up on ebay at any given time. It took me a while to find a 9.8 candidate though, many just look trashed. The one I really want to find in 9.8 is the FF 35 foil Newsstand, it's really elusive and I've only ever seen two that both had pretty bad spine ticks (I own one of them).

1491522.jpg

Now from memory was there a Thor and ASM as well like that?  Its been years since I found those newsstand copies. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

Now from memory was there a Thor and ASM as well like that?  Its been years since I found those newsstand copies. 

I have only ever seen the Fantastic Four foil newsstand, I don't know if those other two titles have one or not.