• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most ridiculous comic panels of all time?
12 12

2,658 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

FF was a complete misfire.

His Silver Surfer was okay, and I really liked his Green Lantern run.

Englehart collaborated with Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin for a spectacular run on Batman in Detective Comics in the seventies, and he also wrote the Captain America run about the return of the psychopath Captain America from the 1950's. That FF.arc looks like the nadir of his career.

45 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Englehart collaborated with Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin for a spectacular run on Batman in Detective Comics in the seventies, and he also wrote the Captain America run about the return of the psychopath Captain America from the 1950's. That FF.arc looks like the nadir of his career.

I agree.  What I focused on were the good stories he did that I recall were very close, time-wise, to the Copper Age FF run; Green Lantern, Silver Surfer.  Trying to emphasise that, despite it being an absolutely terrible drop-off, the decline wasn’t necessarily an indication of burnout.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Is Ben crying?  Is that a tear I see?

It’s hard not to feel pity for that cover.

The actual Thing design was by Keith Pollard. 

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The actual Thing design was by Keith Pollard. 

Yup. Which is sad to me, because I’ve always thought of him as a very under appreciated  artist.  His Bronze Age Thor work is great.

Neither Englehart or Pollard’s best work. 

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. Which is sad to me, because I’ve always thought of him as a very under appreciated  artist.  His Bronze Age Thor work is great.

Neither Englehart or Pollard’s best work. 

He did say in hindsight he would have changed the design...... but only because he didn't realise at the time he'd be drawing it so much (he didn't realise it'd be around for 20 issues of his). Had he known, he'd had gone with something simpler and more streamlined, less complex, simply to make his job easier. No mention at all about the eye-bleeding awfulness of the design they went with. 

On 7/6/2021 at 5:18 AM, Amazeron said:

758B3933-2C11-4A1B-88A7-40BB7B05B92C.thumb.jpeg.59cec110768d99bc4865b21d2ff065ad.jpeg

painful to watch when comic book writers try to tug on heartstrings in amateurish and heavy handed fashion.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

painful to watch when comic book writers try to tug on heartstrings in amateurish and heavy handed fashion.

That's what she said. 

These panels just make me SMH about the people that get hired to write and draw some comics.  Utter buffoons.

2 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Artist: Herb Trimpe. 

Tripe, more like.

So 90s.

Even the golden rule about not showing feet has been broken.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Tripe, more like.

So 90s.

Even the golden rule about not showing feet has been broken.

It's a shame Ziggy Stardust, sorry, Mr Fantastic, hasn't got just a touch wider neck isn't it. Another two foot and we might not be able to see the ugly cow behind him.

310203535_2021-07-0800_00_26.jpg.c492fe431978c2f638957bc7d4057a0b.jpg

"I told you to leave my make up alone" she's saying "You look like a right tosser"

"Sorry dragon face" he's replying "I was trying to detract attention from my massive Hulk neck"