• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spanish Artists- Show -em off!
5 5

243 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, oakman29 said:

This is my favorite Sanjulian cover. I have the proof sheet to your original artwork. 

20220526_202129.jpg.f992f9f67f6d3093a366a5e05534c2e4.jpg

Very nice, Dave!  Somewhere, I have the cover proof for 41 but haven't seen it in a few years.  I'm sure it'll show up if I ever reorganize the vault.  :fear:

On 5/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, Stevemmg said:

I ordered a few Sanjulian pieces from Europe this week while the exchange rate is more favorable.  I had a bit of Carrie Fischer nostalgia come over me, and couldn’t pass up the Dracula.  Sorry for the lousy pictures, they were provided by the seller. 

C90419D8-3E6A-4D3F-87CF-64DB0E28A311.thumb.jpeg.fd47f30b083f6d1650a00e5d7b713459.jpeg

Yes.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:17 PM, stippy52 said:

Just received this today. :luhv:
:banana:AWESOME :banana:

2EB1BB5D-FCEC-424A-B1D6-3ECA545FA67F.jpeg

First, I am sorry for digging up a year-old post but I blame "You" for constantly making me want more of this art. You can't blame me for trying to keep up and lust after the lines. I just want to be part of the pack. 

Second, where might I find this? I did a quick MyComicShop search to try to first identiify the book but no luck. 

Okay, Masters of the Spanish Pens and Men o Magazines (n-such)..... how do I find this?

:foryou:

On 5/27/2022 at 12:31 PM, dover said:

First, I am sorry for digging up a year-old post but I blame "You" for constantly making me want more of this art. You can't blame me for trying to keep up and lust after the lines. I just want to be part of the pack. 

Second, where might I find this? I did a quick MyComicShop search to try to first identiify the book but no luck. 

Okay, Masters of the Spanish Pens and Men o Magazines (n-such)..... how do I find this?

I think Greg @ Dreamhaven books had it in stock before (2nd printing).  Incorrect.  I just spoke with him and he's sold out.  I also did a broad web search and I'm coming up with no available copies!  :tonofbricks:

Here's a link to Stuart Ng who often gets these issues in:

https://stuartngbooks.com/?subcats=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&match=all&search_performed=Y&status=A&q=illustrators+magazine&dispatch=products.search

On 5/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, chevalmeow said:

Just ordered this from The Book Palace in Great Britain.

The Spanish Artists (Illustrators special editon).  Total cost shipped is 50 Brit pounds.

Nice find!  The page I looked at showed sold out but that must have been the first printing.  (thumbsu

On 5/27/2022 at 7:08 PM, Stevemmg said:

Yes, this is the original painting.  It was held by an ex-Warren employee until the early 1990’s. An east coast collector was tracking down such avenues in search of original Warren art and happened on this and many others. He claims to have had nearly 200 covers assembled by the middle ‘90’s. He also has had a couple of auction companies, and when he decided to give up the collection, sold some of them through those, and others through private transactions. He sold this one at auction in 2005. The buyer has a relationship with this collector to date, and has apparently fallen into bad health and asked for assistance in selling the piece. I was fortunate enough to be the new owner. I expect it to arrive on Tuesday following the holiday break. :whee:

Gulp🥴

On 5/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, Stevemmg said:

Yes, this is the original painting.  It was held by an ex-Warren employee until the early 1990’s. An east coast collector was tracking down such avenues in search of original Warren art and happened on this and many others. He claims to have had nearly 200 covers assembled by the middle ‘90’s. He also has had a couple of auction companies, and when he decided to give up the collection, sold some of them through those, and others through private transactions. He sold this one at auction in 2005. The buyer has a relationship with this collector to date, and has apparently fallen into bad health and asked for assistance in selling the piece. I was fortunate enough to be the new owner. I expect it to arrive on Tuesday following the holiday break. :whee:

Just so awesome.  My Warren fever will never reach those kinds of degrees, but having those one-of-a-kind things in our lives are the kinds of experiences that life is all about.

Can you just imagine happening upon that collection of nearly 200 original Warren cover paintings?!?!

There are just no words.

And now you have a piece of it.

Just so awesome.

I am very excited to add this piece, as it falls into the top tier of Warren art items in my collection. There are definitely more significant collections of such things than mine, but I surely treasure each of these that I am fortunate enough to curate.

Just to clarify, he didn’t get all of the pieces in one chunk, but was searching every lead and buying from many different people. He says he was in contact with Jim Warren regularly during his obsessive search. 

Edited by Stevemmg

On 5/27/2022 at 9:36 PM, Stevemmg said:

he didn’t get all of the pieces in one chunk

I get that; but it sounds like he had assembled nearly 200 at one time.

I was just thinking how great it would have been to be allowed to see that collection!

On 5/27/2022 at 10:08 PM, Stevemmg said:

Yes, this is the original painting.  It was held by an ex-Warren employee until the early 1990’s.

The piece does look original as the edges appear to be taped off. An illustrating technique where masking tape is put down as a border and the painter can freely paint up to and over the tape. After, the tape is removed to produce a clean edge. I’m assuming the title was stamped afterwards.

Great piece! :headbang:

On 5/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, Yorick said:

Wondering if anyone here might be able to ID this artist?  It has Spanish artistic vibes to my eye... (even though this publication is Australian).

Strange Romance Tales cvr.jpg

A lot of Australian comics used Spanish artists or reused previously published art by Spaniards.  This looks like the painting style for the highly accomplished Esteban Maroto.

https://ausreprints.net/issue/52845/0

On 5/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, dover said:

On 5/27/2022 at 2:32 PM, chevalmeow said:

Just ordered this from The Book Palace in Great Britain.

The Spanish Artists (Illustrators special editon).  Total cost shipped is 50 Brit pounds.

This is exactly where I picked mine up from. 🍺