• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 9:29 PM, atrocitus said:

How about Al Plastino 

A couple dozen or more SS Plastinos out there for sure (Here are some).

He was at a NYCC show in the early 2010s and he was insistent on signing on the bottom of the splash, he couldn't fathom why we wanted signature on the cover(Though he ultimately did).

On 1/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, Robot Man said:

Rare? I don’t know. Shelton has lived in France for years. Got this at SDCC years ago. The sketch was a fun bonus!

0DD4CCAE-A371-48C8-9F2D-C867EA94A561.jpeg

9A5C17F6-F3CA-4E5A-9A5E-9685AC6494CF.jpeg

Was that around 2015/2016?  If so we may have been waiting in the same line!

On 5/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, GACollectibles said:

Was that around 2015/2016?  If so we may have been waiting in the same line!

Sounds about right. He doesn’t make many con appearances anymore so it was a treat. Was suprised he offered me a sketch with his signature. Cool guy! 

On 5/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, Robot Man said:

I have seen one Everett on a piece of OA. I have also seen Hollingsworth on a couple comics. Interesting note. Baker gets attention among other things because he was black. Hollingsworth was also black and working around the same time as Baker.

All of these people are near impossible to have signed items. 

Someone posted an Everett fan letter response that had a nice signature...here is one from the original art - you can see it was an underwater page

Everett Sig Subby 51 Close Up.jpeg

On 5/15/2023 at 7:45 PM, GACollectibles said:

A couple dozen or more SS Plastinos out there for sure (Here are some).

He was at a NYCC show in the early 2010s and he was insistent on signing on the bottom of the splash, he couldn't fathom why we wanted signature on the cover(Though he ultimately did).

I actually remember being a witness to a couple of those books. I didn’t see anything on eBay so I was curious if collectors are hoarding them 

On 5/15/2023 at 8:59 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Someone posted an Everett fan letter response that had a nice signature...here is one from the original art - you can see it was an underwater page

Everett Sig Subby 51 Close Up.jpeg

Everett’s signature is a little piece of art in its self. The big curve of the E reminds me of an artist’s pallet.

Here are a few more signatures that are great arty graphic pieces all in them selves. 

IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

IMG_6551.webp

IMG_6552.jpeg

On 5/15/2023 at 10:15 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

If you go by signature series, Peter Laird has to be somewhere near the top. 

There are hundreds of Laird SS books out there, he was very accessible for awhile while recently it's been more of a challenge.  A few dozen samples HERE

In my experience he was always very generous with his sketches.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:05 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not even close. There are 125-200 Frazetta SS alone, and he signed a lot of other stuff over the years, too.

You want a rare sig? Jim Aparo. Mike Parobeck. The aforementioned Ditko. Gil Kane. Cockrum's fairly rare. 

Jim Aparo came to a local con for me back in the early 90's. I had him sign my Batman 491, 2x 497's and a 500.