• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Men’s Adventure Mags
11 11

1,059 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, lbcolefan said:

This one came from a large collection currently selling on the bay. Mostly mid grade but a few higher grade copies.

7B4DADAE-B2F9-496F-94F3-6B023EEEAA05.jpeg

Nice pickup!  One of my favorites.  I picked up a few down in Chicago that I have to scan and post this weekend.

I tracked down the sellers other sold items and thought this great World of Men cover was an impressive sale of an uncommon book. [$352].

Does anyone know of any  Men's Adventure magazine going for a higher price, or is that a record? And so long as no-one minds sharing, may I ask, what's the highest you've ever paid for a mag? I think the most I ever paid would have been around the $200 mark, but that was years ago, for a copy of the same Man's Action.

Although I have no plans to sell my magazines, I have been wondering if we will see prices rise, given what seems to be happening to pulps...? Anyone have any thoughts?

World of Men March 1970.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

I bid around $180 for the World of Men. I would have bid higher but his pictures aren’t very clear and it looks like the staples have some rust.

I’ve seen a few sell for close to $400 but that seems to be the upper limits. I sold a NM Men Today on eBay a couple years ago for $300 that the buyer sent to CGC. It graded 9.4 and sold on clink for $355. 

I don’t think I ever paid more than $200 for a single copy.

I still think the high grade copies of the best covers are very undervalued. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:58 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I tracked down the sellers other sold items and thought this great World of Men cover was an impressive sale of an uncommon book. [$352].

Does anyone know of any  Men's Adventure magazine going for a higher price, or is that a record? And so long as no-one minds sharing, may I ask, what's the highest you've ever paid for a mag? I think the most I ever paid would have been around the $200 mark, but that was years ago, for a copy of the same Man's Action.

Although I have no plans to sell my magazines, I have been wondering if we will see prices rise, given what seems to be happening to pulps...? Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by lbcolefan

On 6/6/2022 at 12:39 AM, lbcolefan said:

I’ve seen a few sell for close to $400 but that seems to be the upper limits.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:22 AM, Randall Dowling said:

About a year ago, there was someone listing a whole bunch of the big titles (Man's Story, New Man, Men Today, etc.) and they got some pretty good money per issue (as in $400-$700), particularly the issues from the 70s which had really small print runs (as I understand it).

All of which suggests to me that the collecting pool is still very limited... best keep it that way!

giphy.gif

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 6/6/2022 at 2:45 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Very nice set of magazines, Randall! A few I'd not seen before, which is always fun. Are there more outer space covers out there like that Safari I wonder? This is the only one I have:

Real War Oct 1958.JPG

Yes, Real War is the other one.  I don't think there's another, just those 2.  @lbcolefan, have you seen any others?

On 6/5/2022 at 12:58 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I recall this cover selling for a strong price a couple of years back. I cant recall the grade or final bid, but I know it was more than other books the seller had up for auction. The highest I think I've seen a MAM go for was just north of $600. A nice copy of one the wilder torture covers, but I don't remember which one. Grade seems a lesser concern for collectors than with comics or pulps. Solid VG+ copies can get bid up as strongly as VF sometimes, though overall VF copies are going to fetch a premium, just not the sort of multiples you see with pulps. I suspect that will change. 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:27 AM, rjpb said:

I recall this cover selling for a strong price a couple of years back. I cant recall the grade or final bid, but I know it was more than other books the seller had up for auction. The highest I think I've seen a MAM go for was just north of $600. A nice copy of one the wilder torture covers, but I don't remember which one. Grade seems a lesser concern for collectors than with comics or pulps. Solid VG+ copies can get bid up as strongly as VF sometimes, though overall VF copies are going to fetch a premium, just not the sort of multiples you see with pulps. I suspect that will change. 

Yes, I think there are a few high grade-only collectors who pour gasoline on the bidding sometimes. One of them [not a boardie] is notorious for collecting multiples of scarce issues in high grade. Otherwise it does seem many want the great covers regardless of condition. [Like @lbcolefan I would pass on rusty staples.]

Edited by Flex Mentallo

A shame to see this topic lie dormant for so long.

A post written by @Randall Dowling in a parallel thread prompts an obvious question: what is the most you've ever paid for one of these mags, and which one was it?

While I have kept no records, and haven't bought one in years, I recall that this Man's Action I've oft posted here saw intense bidding and I paid something over $200 for it. This would have been more than fifteen years ago. [I had just lost out on another high grade copy so was determined to land it, so would've bid much higher if need be.]

Unlike comics, we don't have a price guide, do we? As @Robot Man pointed out in that parallel thread, they have gotten scarce, especially in grade and the collector pool may not be that deep, so it's hard to establish a frame of reference.

But it does seem to me that relative to comics and pulps, they remain significantly undervalued.

Man's Action June 1969.jpg