• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Men’s Adventure Mags
11 11

1,069 posts in this topic

Man, is there a tl;dr for pictures?

These deserve a lot more scrutiny than I was able to give them; I will have to return (probably time and time again) to digest all these dangerous digests.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:20 PM, buttock said:

Thanks for posting all of these, I really like the Art Deco feel of this one with all of the white clothing in the background.  

Likewise!  The artists for most of these covers are luminaries in the illustration art community- George Gross, Mel Crair, Walter Popp, Vic Prezio, Rudy Nappi, et al.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:14 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Napa

Napa_022.thumb.jpg.653fdeae77618d51954abaef23fb3ed4.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 6:56 AM, comicjack said:

Hooker bait lol

Yeah, that's almost not fair, using a handsome soldier to lure in young women to rob and maim them...

But seriously, I wonder if that "Football Bonus" was an article about George Plimpton's book "Paper Lion," in which he chronicles his experience as a sportswriter walking into the Detroit Lions' training camp in 1963, ostensibly to try out to be their third-string QB.

It looks like Real Men was published between 1956 and 1974, so the time frame would be right, but I'm not sure which year this issue came out.  It's a "November" issue, so it probably wasn't 1963, as Plimpton's experiences weren't published until September of 1964 in a series of Sports Illustrated articles, so a November issue of another magazine might pick that up in 1964.  The book itself was released in 1966 as an expanded version of the Sports Illustrated series, so it could also be a 1966 book review.

Or it could be something else entirely, as the mid-60s seem a long time removed from WWII to be still featuring Nazi covers, when other major conflicts had been and were still going on.  But it caught my eye, and it's why I need to spend more time looking at some of these covers.  They're really interesting from a historical perspective.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:06 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I probably should've listed dates for these.  The Real Men is from November 1959.

Guess that blows the Plimpton theory.  Thanks for the info!