• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2022 at 6:54 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Finally saw it today with the family and we really enjoyed it. (thumbsu

RT reviews good except one numbskull who sees it as a war recruitment propaganda film.  :facepalm:

The film was based on Ehud Yonay's article “Top Guns” in California, which recounted the real-life exploits of pilots at the Navy's San Diego airbase — nicknamed “Fightertown U.S.A.” A draft of a screenplay based on the story eventually made it into the hands of blockbuster producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer

On 6/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, Mmanick said:

Sounds like a clown who should move his arse somewhere else. 

many movie reviewers believe they are on a social mission-actually reviewing the merits of a film irrelevant.

@Bosco685 can you give me the breakdown on how much it cost to make/advertise and distribute maverick vs total net profit?

On 6/20/2022 at 10:50 PM, kav said:

@Bosco685 can you give me the breakdown on how much it cost to make/advertise and distribute maverick vs total net profit?

No. There are only analytical models people use to guesstimate profit. Even the reporting sites like Box Office Mojo or the numbers never reference these details, as they can't be validated. Other debits and credits you would need:

1. Crew or cast profit-sharing deals
  2. Product placement revenue
  3. Special film location incentives (taxes, purchase discount rates)
  4. Cast actual vs. reported salaries (passion project pay discounts)
  5. Home theater release: (bluray/DVD/Digital) and streaming/TV distribution

Deadline will most probably have this in its annual box office results contest. Its guesstimates should be more refined. Depending how inclined the senior editor is in being even-handed.

On 6/20/2022 at 4:16 PM, D84 said:

Finally got to see it with Dad for Father's Day. Yes, it was supposed to be yesterday, but my Dad wanted to go a day with less people. 

I haven't had that much fun in a theater in a long time.

I can't wait to see it. Hopefully this weekend.

Top Gun: Maverick has become only the third Hollywood movie of the pandemic era to cross the $900 million mark at the worldwide box office in the latest milestone for the Paramount and Skydance movie.

According to Paramount, more than 16 percent of Top Gun 2′s audience has seen the film more than once in theaters, while 4 percent have seen it four times or more.

Top Gun: Maverick is also Paramount’s biggest live-action movie in 15 markets, including the U.K., Australia, France and Brazil, as well as the studio’s highest-grossing original release at the domestic box office behind Titanic.

'pandemic era' - I thought that was behind us?

:shiftyeyes:

On 6/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

We went two weeks ago.  Originally I wanted to see it but she did not until she saw a few commercials and saw the reviews.  She then surprised me with tickets.   This was her first time seeing a movie in the theater since before the pandemic and my third.  So the marketing campaign is drawing people in. 

This is not a movie to see at home on your TV.  Find the biggest baddest screen possible with the best sound system and recliner seats.  

We walked out like everyone else did, grinning and saying how much fun it was.  

I actually liked this better than the original. 

Yes on all counts.  Far superior to the original.