• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, fastballspecial said:

I am trying rationalize my desire to see this film with the fact that I really don't like
Tom Cruise and many of his viewpoints. My wife really hates him more then I do.

Just do like I do and don't see it.  Scientology is a destructive cult. 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Great holds for week 2 but alas , the equally nostalgia- laden jurassic Park movie coming out next weekend is going to throw cold water on the Top Gun party.  

-J.

(PS- The "'pandemic' era" for movies ended when all theaters were "allowed" to reopen at full capacity a long time ago wish people would retire that silly term once and for all).

Jurassic Park will win the weekend, but this logic does not fully apply.  This is technically the 6th JP. This is the first Top Gun sequel.   Also this will be the third JP in the last 6 years, and the second movie underperformed.  

On 6/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, Jaydogrules said:

(PS- The "'pandemic' era" for movies ended when all theaters were "allowed" to reopen at full capacity a long time ago wish people would retire that silly term once and for all).

No.

"Pandemic era" in this case refers to user behavior, not laws.

Just because theaters were "allowed" to reopen at full capacity months ago doesn't mean *audiences* returned.

Even moreso given that this week LA County, for instance, announced they may reinstitute indoor mask mandates as COVID hospitalization rates there are rising. The 7-day rolling average of new Covid cases there is 4,100+ new daily, more than triple what is was in the fall of 2020.

Also - individual anecdotes are wildly_fanciful_statement, but I saw Top Gun: Maverick again last night and took my parents (who are in their late 70s.).

First time either of them had set foot inside a movie theater in more than 2 years. And I'm sure they're far from the exception.

BTW - they each loved the film. But we're all hoping neither of them shows symptoms in the next 7-10 days.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, Gatsby77 said:

No.

"Pandemic era" in this case refers to user behavior, not laws.

Just because theaters were "allowed" to reopen at full capacity months ago doesn't mean *audiences* returned.

Even moreso given that this week LA County, for instance, announced they may reinstitute indoor mask mandates as COVID hospitalization rates there are rising. The 7-day rolling average of new Covid cases there is 4,100+ new daily, more than triple what is was in the fall of 2020.

Also - individual anecdotes are wildly_fanciful_statement, but I saw Top Gun: Maverick again last night and took my parents (who are in their late 70s.).

First time either of them had set foot inside a movie theater in more than 2 years. And I'm sure they're far from the exception.

BTW - they each loved the film. But we're all hoping neither of them shows symptoms in the next 7-10 days.

Sorry, but with multiple 700MM++ grossers in the books, it's done.  

And dorky LA ain't a litmus for the vast majority of the country, which has moved on from this BS a loooooong time ago.  

-J.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, Rip said:

Great movie saw it with my kids and my parents.

Both my parents were in tears.

Not sure I have even seen my dad tear up on a movie like that. They haven't been to a theater in around 4 or 5 years.

Afterwards he talked about my grandfather as a pilot in WW2.

I'd give it an A/A-. Shockingly it was very emotional. I've seen the first one about 30+ times. It was I think the first VHS tape we bought.

This movie was much much better

My brother had the same reaction. He said he teared up 3 or 4 times. 

I saw it over the weekend, definitely good entertainment. The flight sequences and dogfighting were outstanding. At times Maverick looked and reacted like the old fossil he was becoming as part of the storyline, and then other times he soared (literally). Enough parallels with the original to stoke the nostalgia, the opening into was very cool too. The reality of Val Kilmer's condition elevated those scenes with Mav beyond acting or film. 

Only weakness was Jennifer Connolly's character, she really served no purpose to the story or to Mav it seems. No chemistry. Ah well, nothing's perfect. 

9.0  VFNM

Inflation-adjusted, didn't the first Top Gun gross $850+ million?

Box Office Mojo's citing:
$180 million domestic = equivalent of $439.4 million today

+ $177 million foreign = total worldwide gross of $357.3 million in 1986.

Or ~$870 million worldwide today.

Domestically, it was *easily* the top grossing movie of 1986 - 1988.

To the ZZ Top song

Mav's got Legs, and he knows how to use them.......

This movie shows that theaters have a pulse and are still relevant, and do NOT have to rely on the MCU, or Superhero movies in the broader sense.  The industry really needed a win, and this movie delivered in spades. Furthermore, Top Gun shows that there is hope beyond the inevitable decline in MCU. It also shows movies can be made that do not need to sacrifice story or worry about the optics needed to play in China. As was already mentioned this is saving the movie industry (yes SMNWH, MOM, and The Batman played a role also).

On 6/7/2022 at 9:41 PM, drotto said:

Um, I think that was Shang Chi, or maybe the Eternals, I forget which. :P

You have to ask he who shall not be named, but that is like saying Beetlejuice 3 times.

Beetlejuice!