• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, media_junkie said:

Well obviously Top Gun: Maverick is going to do great, but holy cow I had no idea Top Gun did so well back in the day a 23.8 ratio?!?!  I knew it was a hit, but wow!

I had no idea either and had to check that production budget.

Now I get it more than ever when the CEO of Paramount took Cruise's call serious.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, media_junkie said:

Well obviously Top Gun: Maverick is going to do great, but holy cow I had no idea Top Gun did so well back in the day a 23.8 ratio?!?!  I knew it was a hit, but wow!

Again, Top Gun was the highest grossing film (domestically) of 1986, 1987 or 1988.

Back to the Future did more (1985) as did Batman (1989).

On 6/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, drotto said:

Well apparently they can. Is this just the right movie at the right time?  Are people tiring of Superheroes?  Are people tiring of everything being CGI?   A combination of all three?

I think yes on the above and with the economy and world situation, maybe a bit of wanting some nostalgia even if times may not have been better then. 

On 6/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, rexinnih said:

I think yes on the above and with the economy and world situation, maybe a bit of wanting some nostalgia even if times may not have been better then. 

I think it's all about how good the movie is especially in relation to all the duds that have come out lately (looking at you Doc Strange 2).  The fact that it hits all the high notes in terms of nostalgia and nations at war couldn't have hurt but in general it all comes down to it being a really good movie.

On Monday — its 18th day in release — the Paramount and Skydance movie passed up Marvel and Disney’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness to become the top-grossing domestic film of 2022 so far with $401.8 million in ticket sales through Monday.

Marvel’s Doctor Strange 2 presently rests at $398.1 million.

There’s more. Top Gun: Maverick is now the No. 2 film of the pandemic era domestically after Spider-Man: No Way Home ($573 million) and by far the most successful outside of the superhero genre.

And Top Gun: Maverick earned $51.9 million over the June 10-12 weekend, the fifth-biggest gross for any film in its third outing behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($90 million), Black Panther ($66 million), Spider-Man: No Way Home ($56 million) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($52.5 million).

The movie came in No. 2 over the June 10-12 weekend behind new entry Jurassic World Dominion, which opened to a pleasing $145.1 million.

Jurassic World Dominion also topped with Monday’s chart with $12.8 million. Top Gun followed with $6.6 million.

Maverick now stands as Cruise’s biggest film domestically. It has a shot at nearing $500 million domestically and $1 billion globally.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yeah - but that's a wildly_fanciful_statement stat, given that every one of the films mentioned still out-grossed Maverick when adjusted for inflation.

Maverick needs to break $850 million worldwide to outdo the original Top Gun - which it will, but still...just a bad, misleading tweet.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - but that's a wildly_fanciful_statement stat, given that every one of the films mentioned still out-grossed Maverick when adjusted for inflation.

Maverick needs to break $850 million worldwide to outdo the original Top Gun - which it will, but still...just a bad, misleading tweet.

You mean like when Avengers: Endgame fans competed with Avatar's 10 year old box office?

:shiftyeyes:

Edited by Bosco685

On 6/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

these cheerleaders can't put down the pom poms long enough to calculate the impact of ticket inflation; look at the comparisons of JW:FK & JW:D- zero mention that average ticket prices are 20%+ higher just four years later.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:24 PM, paperheart said:

these cheerleaders can't put down the pom poms long enough to calculate the impact of ticket inflation; look at the comparisons of JW:FK & JW:D- zero mention that average ticket prices are 20%+ higher just four years later.

Let me know when your industry reporting service goes professional. 

:popcorn:

On 6/15/2022 at 7:24 PM, paperheart said:

Exactly.

Just like it irks me to no end when folks claimed The Hangover - or Deadpool - were the "top-grossing Rated R films of all time" their respective years.

Neither came remotely close to Beverly Hills Cop, let alone The Exorcist.