• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

SilverandBronze - Hey! You seemed to miss my books! frown.gif I finally got my scanner working so attached to this message is Ms. Marvel 10 and Marvel's Greatest Comics 73 is attached to the next. Thanks for doing all of this by the way, it has really helped my collecting of these scarce puppies! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

295204-mm10.jpg.b51f6a79199dd39f7e08e6528d735bb9.jpg

Good to have the site updated S&B. I think you left off the Spectacular Spider-Man 11, Ms. Marvel 7 and MTIO 29. Flying Donut also stated he had an Inhumans issue. I have the scans for the rest if you need them.

Thanks for the help on the ommissions. Between changing computers and ISP's, I've lost a ton of emails and scans. If you don't mind sending them or putting them online again, I'd appreciated. I'll update in the meantime.

A few additions and corrections for the site. The dates for Kid Colt should be June for 218, August for 219 and October for 220. Also Marvel Super-Heroes 65 should be July and MSH 66 should exist and have a September cover date.

BTW is there any way that CGC could provide a scan of the Inhumans 11, Marvel Super Action 3 and Tomb of Dracula 59-60 that they have as 35 cent variants in the census. I assume they scan all the comics they handle and this could knock another 4 off the list. Any thoughts? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hi,

I found this thread last night. And it inspired me to do a quick search of a very small portion of my collection. I posted this at http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

These are the ones, I just found. And bear in mind this is just from loose stacks on the floor, that I haven't stored yet. I haven't checked my boxes yet.

All of these are 35 cent variants:

Amazing Spiderman - 169,170,173

Ghost Rider - 24,25,26

Godzilla - 2,3

Howard the Duck - 13 - 17

Human Fly - 1,2

Inhumans - 11,12

Invaders -18,21

Ironfist - 15

Ironman -99,100,102,103

John Carter, Warlord of Mars - 1 - 5

Logan's Run - 6,7

Red Sonja - 5

I'll try to get some scans up in the next few days. I'll have to go to a friend's house to do so. I'll also check my other 5 long boxes of Marvels and see what else I have, though that may take a bit longer. I'm pretty sure I have most, of the 35 cent variations, except for possibly the Hulk's, Western's, Sgt. Fury, Scooby Doo and Tarzan's.

I'll try to keep you posted. grin.gif

Greg

Hi,

I found this thread last night. And it inspired me to do a quick search of a very small portion of my collection. I posted this at http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

These are the ones, I just found. And bear in mind this is just from loose stacks on the floor, that I haven't stored yet. I haven't checked my boxes yet.

All of these are 35 cent variants:

Amazing Spiderman - 169,170,173

Ghost Rider - 24,25,26

Godzilla - 2,3

Howard the Duck - 13 - 17

Human Fly - 1,2

Inhumans - 11,12

Invaders -18,21

Ironfist - 15

Ironman -99,100,102,103

John Carter, Warlord of Mars - 1 - 5

Logan's Run - 6,7

Red Sonja - 5

I'll try to get some scans up in the next few days. I'll have to go to a friend's house to do so. I'll also check my other 5 long boxes of Marvels and see what else I have, though that may take a bit longer. I'm pretty sure I have most, of the 35 cent variations, except for possibly the Hulk's, Western's, Sgt. Fury, Scooby Doo and Tarzan's.

I'll try to keep you posted. grin.gif

Greg

That's pretty amazing. Congrats. Keep us posted and I'd love to get scans of anything not already checked off on my site .

Yep, those were really the only ones I planned on scanning. I had checked your site and noticed some titles still weren't verified.

I'm getting ready to check my LBs and look for the others on your list.

All of these are comics me and my older brother bought, brand new off the racks at retail prices. We obviously didn't know the potential value of the price variants, as we went out of our way at the time to buy the 30 cent version.

Save a nickel, more money for more comics. smile.gif

But, it turned out to be quite hard to find anything but the higher priced variants. At least in our town.

While we're on the subject, I've got a few questions.

How rare are these variants? I've been offered $40 each for any and all 35 cent variants in pretty much any condition. Which seems extremely low after reading this thread.

Those comics on your website without Xs, these are comics that haven't been verified to exist? How is that possible?

Are there potentially others that are not on your lists? And would these still fall into the same time period as the rest? Or could they have been printed a month or two before or after the other runs?

And finally, what is the potential for value increase in these variants?

Thanks,

Greg

Yep, those were really the only ones I planned on scanning. I had checked your site and noticed some titles still weren't verified.

I'm getting ready to check my LBs and look for the others on your list.

All of these are comics me and my older brother bought, brand new off the racks at retail prices. We obviously didn't know the potential value of the price variants, as we went out of our way at the time to buy the 30 cent version.

Save a nickel, more money for more comics. smile.gif

But, it turned out to be quite hard to find anything but the higher priced variants. At least in our town.

While we're on the subject, I've got a few questions.

How rare are these variants? I've been offered $40 each for any and all 35 cent variants in pretty much any condition. Which seems extremely low after reading this thread.

Those comics on your website without Xs, these are comics that haven't been verified to exist? How is that possible?

Are there potentially others that are not on your lists? And would these still fall into the same time period as the rest? Or could they have been printed a month or two before or after the other runs?

And finally, what is the potential for value increase in these variants?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

First off, the price you were offered is fairly low. Thus far, there are so few copies of the 35 cent variants, that condition is not playing much of a role and they seem to be going for approximately 75 to $125 each, raw. Of course, should a super-high grade hard-to find issue show up, it could be more.

As for those issues not checked of on my list--that's exactly right, they are not yet verified to exist as 35 cent variants. The 35 cent versions comprised such a small percentage of print runs, even within the targeted cities, and so many were returned to distributors, read to death by kids, or languished in bargain bins, that even fewer have survived.

As for the comprehensiveness of my list--aside from the few ommissions above (which I've been meaning to fix for over a year), the list should include every issue Marvel published for a 5 month period. This is pretty much the duration that it is believed the test-marketing lasted prior to the actual increase. The best way to educate yourself on these would be to read my site, which you clearly have, and to read this thread and others in this forum

Keep us up-to-date.

Paul

I posted this earlier today at CPG, just passing on the info. smile.gif

Just went through 2 1/2 long boxes, transfered these to my cleared off bookcase and found the following 35 cent variants to add to the previous list.

Avengers - 161,162,164

Black Panther - 4,5

Captain America - 211 - 214

Captain Marvel - 52

Champions - 14

Conan - 75 - 79

Defenders - 48,49,52

Doctor Strange - 25

Eternals - 12,13,14,16

Fantastic Four - 184,187

That's it for today probably. I need to find a place for my books.

Not a bad find though, I think I counted 58 variants. And to think, I've been sitting on these for over a quarter century.

And I'm only up to the Fs, with about 5 more LBs to look through.

I'll post pics as soon I can, but it might be awhile. As I said, I don't have a scanner. And after thinking it over, I really don't want to leave the house with any of these comics. I'm going to try to borrow either a scanner or a digital camera, if that fails, I'll buy one. And If i have to buy one, it could be a month or more. Sorry. frown.gif

Greg

This is an interesting topic. I new about the variants but the only time I ever checked any of my Bronze books to see which type I had were the IF 14, 15 and maybe the X-Men. Other than seeing a big increase in the Overstreet value for the variants in the past few years I never realized that so many titles and issues had variants. I also didn't realize how rare some of them are. I never really bothered to check the books in other titles becuase either I didn't know they existed or I just figure there is no way I have any. I wouldn't be suprised if there are some sitting in people's collection unknown to them for the same reason.

It's a possibility. I think it also depends on when and where you bought your comics.

Supposedly, they were sold in only a very limited number of cities. What's interesting to me, is my town has never come up on that list, not even my state.

Best guess would be, the known towns that did receive them were also ditribution points. So, if say, Houston, Tx. is on the list, then the distributor there may have sent comics to all of Texas and possibly neighboring states.

Just a guess though. smile.gif