• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Finally got the last scan, Funny Picture Stories V2 #3  One of the Top 4 Graded.  Auction starts this Thursday. 

FunnyPictureStoriesV2-3.jpg

Anything can happen in a comic book, but in the real world, the dorky dude in the ten-gallon-hat wouldn't stand a chance with a woman who looked like that.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/18/2022 at 5:48 PM, Funnybooks said:

all you need to know is in the pics...

a "10" and yes, a "Pete"

Pete and ten-gallon-hat-guy should both be with the kind of women who can fart to the tune of "Oh Susanna" and spit chewing tobacco through the holes where their missing teeth used to be.

Sometimes life doesn't make sense.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Anything can happen in a comic book, but in the real world, the dorky dude in the ten-gallon-hat wouldn't stand a chance with a woman who looked like that.

I swear that’s the first thing I thought when I saw that cover, but then I saw the heading on that newspaper she’s holding and it all became clear… xD

On 11/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, whomerjay said:

Checked in to Clink after placing tracking bids last week. I’m probably out on half the books I bid on already.

One I didn’t realize was so popular, already above GPA:

00154151585253110754575004.jpg

I think that's a reserve, not an actual bid. 

On 11/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

It actually sold not long ago on Heritage.

0F475A04-6029-441E-A0FF-E4DBE67958E5.jpeg

Which actually represented a drop of $1,200 or 9% in less than a year from the $13,200 that it managed to fetched back in November of 2021:  doh!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime-mysteries-4-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-ribage-publishing-1952-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/40183-82040.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/26/2022 at 3:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Which actually represented a drop of $1,200 or 9% in less than a year from the $13,200 that it managed to fetched back in November of 2021:  doh!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime-mysteries-4-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-ribage-publishing-1952-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/40183-82040.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So… this book has already sold twice in last year, and is up for sale again with a reserve at least 25% more than sale 5 months ago? 

Several negative thoughts:

1. Maybe this book is a hot potato that evokes buyer’s remorse once in hand (unlikely);

2. Seems like way too many books are immediately flipped these days, with the majority of buyers being flippers, who are outcompeting collectors for books that would otherwise go into a collector’s vault;

3. If buying, one better research all sales data available to know the extent  you’re about to overpay. Fortunately, Heritage sales are captured in GPA but I have to admit I don’t follow sales not captured by GPA, nor can I easily spot a CPR book.

All that said, this is a book I’d definitely buy and pay high on, based on the general principle that HG HTF keys are like decent yield T bills at a minimum, with little risk if you’re willing to hold long enough. I guess I just don’t like to see these books treated like widgets.

Edited by whomerjay

On 11/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, whomerjay said:

So… this book has already sold twice in last year, and is up for sale again with a reserve at least 25% more than sale 5 months ago? 

Several negative thoughts:

1. Maybe this book is a hot potato that evokes buyer’s remorse once in hand (unlikely);

2. Seems like way too many books are immediately flipped these days, with the majority of buyers being flippers, who are outcompeting collectors for books that would otherwise go into a collector’s vault;

3. If buying, one better research all sales data available to know the extent  you’re about to overpay. Fortunately, Heritage sales are captured in GPA but I have to admit I don’t follow sales not captured by GPA, nor can I easily spot a CPR book.

All that said, this is a book I’d definitely buy and pay high on, based on the general principle that HG HTF keys are like decent yield T bills at a minimum, with little risk if you’re willing to hold long enough. I guess I just don’t like to see these books treated like widgets.

There could be some buyer's remorse. Even $12K looked like a strong price to me. I've seen quite a few copies over the years, so I don't think it's particularly rare. The demand could be greater than the supply, but I don't think it's strong enough for it to make sense for somebody to buy it for $12K in order to flip it for a profit. I think the owner knows that he's upside down on the book and is desperately trying to get out from under it and still turn a small profit, hence the reserve. I'll be surprised if the book actually sells. I won't be surprised if it appears to sell but then shows up again on CLink or elsewhere six months down the road.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

There could be some buyer's remorse. Even $12K looked like a strong price to me. I've seen quite a few copies over the years, so I don't think it's particularly rare. The demand could be greater than the supply, but I don't think it's strong enough for it to make sense for somebody to buy it for $12K in order to flip it for a profit. I think the owner knows that he's upside down on the book and is desperately trying to get out from under it and still turn a small profit, hence the reserve. I'll be surprised if the book actually sells. I won't be surprised if it appears to sell but then shows up again on CLink or elsewhere six months down the road.

I am probably out of the norm but I think the cover art is really weak.  The drawing is very simplistic.  Can you imagine what it would look like if Matt Baker had done it :luhv:

On 11/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, batman_fan said:

I am probably out of the norm but I think the cover art is really weak.  The drawing is very simplistic.  Can you imagine what it would look like if Matt Baker had done it :luhv:

I don't disagree about the artwork being weak, but you could say the same thing about COC 19 or any one of a number of popular horror books. Make no mistake, I think the buyer is more than a little upside down on that book. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't sell, though. There's a sucker born every minute. The $13.2K selling price was absolutely nuts, but that sale is probably still having an impact on the perceived market value of the book.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I posted this one a while back, but just want to remind folks that it's in this auction.  Amazing-Man Comics #22 Classic Giant Green Gorillas with Nazi Headbands. 

AmazingMan22.jpg

This went for a fair price of a good looking book (thumbsu

On 11/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I'm satisfied with where it landed. I told my Comiclink rep I thought it was a $15k to $20K book.  He said he thought it was a $20k to $25k book.  I was hoping he was right, but it didn't break $20k.  Oh well, it did just fine anyway.  I at least got the higher end of my estimate. :bigsmile:

The market is holding up for books like that a very scarce book in nice condition