• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,670 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 12:43 AM, tth2 said:

While I don't believe that most comics or OA benefited from the Crypto Bubble, I do believe that whatever Crypto money did come into the market would have gone mostly into books like AF 15.

It's the perfect book for people with money to burn who know almost nothing about comics other than having read Spider-Man at one point in their childhood.

I thought some of that crazed crypto money would have gone into TMNT 1 since the crypto traders might have been part of that whole Turtles generation. :)

Especially since that jump from the mid-$30K price range up to $90K should have been fresh in their mind and they must have absolutely pissed their pants when it rocketed to a quarter of a million dollars during the pandemic thinking it might do another Michael Jordan or LeBron James from there.  :Rocket:

Then again, I always thought that the $90K auction result might just possibly have been a masterfully crafted manipulated jump orchestrated by some dealer(s) who had been astute enough to have acquired multiple copies of the book back in the day when the book was selling for only low 3-figures for the longest while back then.  Especially when that exact same $90K copy sold in a very low profile private transaction for only $59K a few short months after that $90K auction resulted in a couple of transactions with the book finally being able to crack not only the $40K barrier, but also the $50K price point.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, C. Spaulding said:
On 11/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Courageous Cat said:

hard to believe its going so low. last GPA 3000.00 for 1.0 and classic cover IMO...but what do I know

I’d be surprised if this copy doesn’t run close to 10k before it’s all said and done.

Especially when this is a CL auction and as we all know here, pretty much the home of the last second snipers throwing in their Hail Mary bids at the last possible micro second.  :p

On 11/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Especially when this is a CL auction and as we all know here, pretty much the home of the last second snipers throwing in their Hail Mary bids at the last possible micro second.  :p

I always thought eBay had that distinction.  God knows I try to keep that fire going there at times.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, lou_fine said:

It's basically if you want something, especially GA stuff, you have to overbid and hope no one else does the same or if they do not to the same extent of insanity as you did. I've been outbid at the final seconds about 10 consectutive times now , or my bid just gets kicked. Is there any sadder word than ERROR? :violin:

On 11/30/2022 at 2:37 PM, Professor K said:

It's basically if you want something, especially GA stuff, you have to overbid and hope no one else does the same or if they do not to the same extent of insanity as you did. I've been outbid at the final seconds about 10 consectutive times now , or my bid just gets kicked. Is there any sadder word than ERROR? :violin:

Exactly why I much prefer the CC auction format method with the 3-minute extensions whereby you as the rational bidder that you really should be would have much better control of your irrational exuberant senses.  :insane:

On 11/30/2022 at 3:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Exactly why I much prefer the CC auction format method with the 3-minute extensions whereby you as the rational bidder that you really should be would have much better control of your irrational exuberant senses.  :insane:

Yeah I have the high bid on something right now. I'm hoping to scoop it up for cheap if it could maybe get lost in the fray of books being sold, but I'm not holding my breath lol. Regardless, going to plan my final bid if needed in the waning seconds. The way CC and Heritage handle it giving more time is nice though.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, Professor K said:

I know this has been discussed many times many ways. I have often wondered what format is more beneficial for the house therefore the seller. In the long run as each book is different of course.  CC and HA are basically the same although CC gives you much more time to decide, but you still have the option to go on or bow out. Or is that last minute sniping better for the house/seller. With CL you usually have only have one shot to reign victorious so people are inclined to go overboard I would think. On the other hand with the other two it could just keep going. I just don't know.

The only thing about CC's version with the 3 minutes is it gives me massive anxiety haha. At least it's happened to me where I put in a higher bid, and it comes down to the last 10 seconds, and then someone bids. So I keep thinking I'm golden, but then panic, wondering if the other bidder's going to try and one up me constantly. So each additional 3 minutes is pure hell lol.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, C. Spaulding said:

The Voodoo books did very well tonight. This one was the prize that I was hoping would be overlooked with all the other copies up for auction. Hopefully the winner was a boardie. I’ll have to be satisfied with my 5.5…for now :shiftyeyes:

0C3CBF6F-9BF5-4BCC-A968-A299B640C4C9.thumb.jpeg.c8ffe39945872315709c4f62f6614b08.jpeg

@Professor K - And I agree, the ‘Error’ page is the worst thing you can see in an auction. :ohnoez:

On 11/30/2022 at 10:18 PM, C. Spaulding said:

@Professor K - And I agree, the ‘Error’ page is the worst thing you can see in an auction. :ohnoez:

I'd be satisfied with a 5.5 too. Voodoo 14 seems to be a tough book to find, but 6k+ for a 7.0? yikes.

Another big sale was this. 8,900. that's high. You can get a nice mid grade one for under 1,000. These higher grade pch's are going crazy these days.

Opera Snapshot_2022-11-30_230916_www.comiclink.com.png

On 11/30/2022 at 11:22 PM, Professor K said:

I'd be satisfied with a 5.5 too. Voodoo 14 seems to be a tough book to find, but 6k+ for a 7.0? yikes.

Another big sale was this. 8,900. that's high. You can get a nice mid grade one for under 1,000. These higher grade pch's are going crazy these days.

Opera Snapshot_2022-11-30_230916_www.comiclink.com.png

This book actually had a reserve on it and didn’t sell. It’s listed in CLink’s Exchange now for $9k.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:37 AM, C. Spaulding said:

This book actually had a reserve on it and didn’t sell. It’s listed in CLink’s Exchange now for $9k.

Yes I saw that and I was wondering. Thought it might be some kind of glitch. If it belongs to someone here I mean no offense but why would someone hold off for 9k when it was bid up to 100 less? Maybe it just automatically went to the exchange. 

I was watching a few of the books that had reserves and what you can see on the site now might be a misleading because you can no longer see the bid history. What I saw with a couple of books, this one included, was a bunch of initial bids that weren’t anywhere near the reserve. Then several days before the auction close all the reserve lots that hadn’t been met had one additional bid added that was right below the reserve amount. I’m guessing this is the way CLink exposes reserves to see if there are any takers. This appears to be what happened but I could be off base.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:00 AM, Professor K said:
On 12/2/2022 at 12:37 AM, C. Spaulding said:

Yes I saw that and I was wondering. Thought it might be some kind of glitch. If it belongs to someone here I mean no offense but why would someone hold off for 9k when it was bid up to 100 less? Maybe it just automatically went to the exchange. 

Plus it's been a big selling point, and distinction of Clink auctions, no reserves.  

I'm some what surprised by the change in policy.